Descended from the Elder God Meridian, the merians are the proudest of the races and have the richest history. It was the merian Gorob who discovered the secrets of becoming a Vernal God and indeed became the first Vernal God. It was the merians who were the first to uncover the outer planes, and subsequently founded the Celestine Empire. Though merians can point to many great and notable achievements of their race, it must also be pointed out that the last emperor of the Celestine Empire, Emperor Ladantine VII, was a merian and responsible for the Taint. Merians are primarily ocean dwellers and the original race were decidedly aquatic looking. However, with the influx of humans and given their ability to interbreed with other races, many present day merians look astonishingly human-like, some even growing hair. Even so, all merians have bluish complexions (though ranging in hue) and the ability to breathe water. Despite interbreeding with humans, merians do not recognize half-breeds: either you are merian or are not, denoted by the ability to breathe water.
- Strength: 11
- Dexterity: 11
- Constitution: 10
- Intelligence: 16
- Charisma: 13
- Size: 12
- Have a racial language, merian.
- Regain equilibrium faster, level 2.
- Regenerate health and mana while in water, level 2.
- Can automatically swim and tread water without taking damage.
- Can breathe underwater.
- Can DIVE into the ocean depths (RISE to come up).
- Resist asphyxiation damage, level 2.
- Special for Aquamancy and Celestialism Users: Upon gaining the Aquamancy or Celestialism specialisation, a merian becomes an Imperial Merian with statistics changing by -2 strength, -1 dexterity, +2 intelligence and +2 charisma. Merian warriors who choose the rituals path, upon gaining the sacraments specialization become a Merian Lord with statistics changing by -3 intelligence, -2 charisma, +5 strength, +5 constitution, +3 dexterity and +2 size.
- Special for Starhymn Users Only: Upon gaining the Starhymn specialization in Music, a merian becomes a Seasinger Merian with statistics changing by -2 strength, -1 size, +1 intelligence, +2 charisma.
- Are susceptible to fire, level 2.
- Are susceptible to electricity, level 2.