IronCon 2013

by Estarra

Back to Meet and Greet.

Estarra2012-08-10 20:02:12
If you don't know Matt Mihaly (aka Sarapis), he is the founder and majority owner of IRE. He was impressed with the player meet and is considering a formal Iron Con for next year. Of course, I expect Lusternia once again dominate the meet! Below is Matt's message.

Hi all,

After the success of the recent player & gods' meet in Washington D.C. we're throwing around the idea of having something a bit more formal in Las Vegas next summer. If we do this, I'm going to start planning it now to give people plenty of warning and time to save up for a plane ticket or whatnot.

IronCon itself would informally be the whole weekend insofar as lots of Iron Realms players would be in Vegas at the same time, but the 'formal' event would probably be Friday or Saturday night. This wouldn't be a Con in a ballroom with a long schedule of panels, etc. Instead, it'd be a giant Iron Realms party in Vegas.

We'd rent a giant suite (something like this, though I roll my eyes at the 'hip hop style' label -
http://palmsfantasy..../crib/crib.html or this if we needed a bigger space - http://palmsfantasy....ite/gsuite.html ). Drinks (alcoholic & nonalcoholic) and snacky food would be provided, and although it'd largely be an unstructured party, I'm thinking of a couple fun activities during it as well as some game systems hooked up, etc. It'd probably be from something like 5 pm until 2 am or whatnot. We'd probably do swag of some sort as well. Some of the groups from the individual games may go out to do other things, or meet up earlier in the day to get together to do something (could be anything from gambling together to going gokarting or play minigolf, waterpark, seeing a show, causing chaos on the Strip and being chased by the police).

I have no details right now beyond that, but the likely costs would be:

* However you get to Las Vegas

* Your hotel room in Las Vegas (we'd definitely be able to put together group rate discounts for rooms though)

* Food, drink & entertainment outside of the IronCon party.

* Some kind of fee for IronCon to help us offset the cost. We'd definitely lose money on this, but would like to lose less, so there'd be a fee of something like $50-$75 that would also come with some credits in-game. Maybe for those under 21 or those who don't drink at all, the fee would be reduced, I don't know.

I don't really have any 'details' beyond that. Just trying to get a sense of what level of interest there'd be. Post if you you'd be interested. You don't have to be sure you'd come, but if it's a real possibility, post here!

Ssaliss2012-08-10 20:07:11
Since the odds of it happening in my neck of the woods is slim-to-none, it's unlikely I'll be able to attend, unfortunately. The interest is there though!
Unknown2012-08-10 20:13:51
This sounds like something that would be fun. At the risk of sounding like a vampire, my main concern is that the party may be outside during the daytime. As someone who has lupus, this would be a dangerous situation for me, and it would be important to know about that before I consider anything.

Also, I'd like to offer the thought that some hotels will allow the creation of a booking code (?) to be given to groups for group discounts, which could be sent out in e-mail if participation/character is indeed confirmed.

Additionally, I'd like to submit the thought of an age requirement of 18 or 21. Before I'm booed off the forums, consider the dangers involved with anyone under the age of 21 being caught drinking.

If a wi-fi was brought and set up specifically for the IRE group for simultaneous events going on for those who are present across the games, it would be really awesome. Perhaps some sort of "find-it" quest that can win you credits that you pay $1 to participate in in person, or some high amount of gold in game for those who are in person. Honors lines for those present would be fun too.

... but yes, if the party's inside and thereby reduces the likelihood of my being shipped to a hospital, I would be likely to go.
Unknown2012-08-10 20:14:14
All I saw was "Hydraulic Bed."
Anita2012-08-10 20:18:06
I would definitely be able to save up for something like this.
Though if it's before the 28th of August next year, I'll still be 20, and if there was an age limit of no under 21's I would be sad!

I'm just thinking it's going to cost a ton for me as I live in Ireland, and it's a bit further to travel for us Irish/Brits and anyone out in Europe area :/
Noola2012-08-10 20:20:26
A whole year to plan and save up? I'll be there! (insert :cheer: smiley here)
Unknown2012-08-10 20:27:18
Oh god I live 4 hours away from Vegas. I'd do it.

Edit: Let's also go play craps. I love that game.
Noola2012-08-10 20:33:54
I suck at craps. Last time I tried to play it I tossed the dice off the table three times by accident. :lol:
Tacita2012-08-10 21:11:23
I hate all people who live in or near such events as these.

Ssaliss, we'll have a rival convention in Europe.
Calixa2012-08-10 21:36:43
Tacita:

I hate all people who live in or near such events as these.

Ssaliss, we'll have a rival convention in Europe.

See, if it were in Europe, I could actually go. Vegas ... hrm I'd need a proper income again, and then manage to save enough, and then survive the TSA. This is being a whole lot less likely. Sadness :(
Anita2012-08-10 21:47:09
Yeah, come to Europe instead. I'd definitely be able to come then :D
Ardmore2012-08-10 21:49:38
Sounds nifty. I'll give it some thought.
Kalaneya2012-08-10 22:28:25
Zarquan:

All I saw was "Hydraulic Bed."

Basically this. Also:

• Private Show Shower TM
• Large Jacuzzi® Tub
• Pool Table
• Fish Tank (:D)

No way I'll be able to make it, but miracles happen.
Ushaara2012-08-10 23:08:46
Go go Europe meet!
Skye2012-08-10 23:34:43
Maaaybe? Depending on when it is.

Great idea, though.
Ytran2012-08-10 23:47:47
Funds and whatnot willing, I'd probably do this.
Unknown2012-08-11 03:40:28
Considering I've done two trips to Seattle this year with some epic budgetting... I'm in.

I'll just need to figure out how to get time off.
Valarien2012-08-11 04:13:20
An IRE meet four hours away? I'd definitely be there.
Zyphora2012-08-11 05:58:20
Putting aside the fact that I am extremely unlucky when it comes to gambling, I would love to go to the next IRE meet provided I have the time/funds at that point. :)
Xiel2012-08-11 09:43:22
*squeal*

Someplace closer to my neck of the woods. Exciting.