How Do I Use MudBot?

by Unknown

Back to Project L.

Unknown2007-10-15 13:14:17
im new to lusternia and have a lot of trouble navigating through areas even while using a map from this site. i wanna be able to speedwalk so i downloaded and ran mudbot and then connected to lusternia. i read the topic "Project L: Mapping, Volunteers needed!" but that didnt help.

avaer said: "5) Open the client you use to connect to Lusternia (Zmud, Mushclient, etc), but instead of connecting to lusternia.com on port 23, connect to localhost on port 23. (If you want to use Nexus, PM me about it because it requires a few extra steps)"

i did that and all my zmud does is this: "Attempting connection to 127.0.0.1" and then tries reconnecting every 10 seconds

he also said "8) Now just move around, looking and surveying in each room. Gradually a map of the area will take shape. You might like to look at MAP HELP, ROOM HELP, EXIT HELP and AREA HELP as you progress, but I found I didn't need to know many of these."

where do i type MAP HELP, ROOM HELP, EXIT HELP and AREA HELP? i cant type anything in mudbot
Unknown2007-10-15 13:28:26
QUOTE(AlexRey @ Oct 15 2007, 08:14 AM) 449874
im new to lusternia and have a lot of trouble navigating through areas even while using a map from this site. i wanna be able to speedwalk so i downloaded and ran mudbot and then connected to lusternia. i read the topic "Project L: Mapping, Volunteers needed!" but that didnt help.

avaer said: "5) Open the client you use to connect to Lusternia (Zmud, Mushclient, etc), but instead of connecting to lusternia.com on port 23, connect to localhost on port 23. (If you want to use Nexus, PM me about it because it requires a few extra steps)"

i did that and all my zmud does is this: "Attempting connection to 127.0.0.1" and then tries reconnecting every 10 seconds

he also said "8) Now just move around, looking and surveying in each room. Gradually a map of the area will take shape. You might like to look at MAP HELP, ROOM HELP, EXIT HELP and AREA HELP as you progress, but I found I didn't need to know many of these."

where do i type MAP HELP, ROOM HELP, EXIT HELP and AREA HELP? i cant type anything in mudbot

Make sure MudBot is running in the background. Instead of connecting to localhost on port 23, connect on port 123.

You can type all of those help commands directly into your zMUD command bar, once you get it connected correctly. The whole interface is through your normal zMUD command bar, and MudBot runs in the background.
Unknown2007-10-15 13:53:51
when i connect to localhost port 123 it starts imperian. i thought this was for lusternia
Unknown2007-10-15 14:07:53
QUOTE(AlexRey @ Oct 15 2007, 08:53 AM) 449887
when i connect to localhost port 123 it starts imperian. i thought this was for lusternia

Go to the folder where you have the mapper installed. Open the file called config.txt. In that file, toward the top, it defines where to connect. You should see these lines:

host "imperian.com"
port "23"

Change the first line to say:

host "lusternia.com"

If you got the latest version of LMTS (another name for the Lusternian version of MudBot) this should be done for you, but maybe it's not. I can't really remember anymore...

Just to be safe, scroll down to the bottom of that same config file. The last couple of types should look like this:

# Read and parse these files too.
#include "user.txt"

# Windows modules: Dynamic loaded libraries.
dll "./l_mapper.dll"
dll "./voter.dll"
dll "./i_lua.dll"

If you are missing any of those things, it is okay. If you have any extra lines, though, put a # in front of them. Also, if it says i_mapper.dll instead of l_mapper.dll, it means you probably have Imperian's version of MudBot instead of LMTS.
Unknown2007-10-15 14:41:28
i went back to the "Project L: Mapping, Volunteers needed!" topic to find out where i could download LTMS. avaer said "1) Download the following zip file: <> (for windows).", but i cant find the link anywhere. i also searched the boards and searched google but found nothing. do u have a link that i can download LTMS from?
Unknown2007-10-15 14:58:35
QUOTE(AlexRey @ Oct 15 2007, 09:41 AM) 449901
i went back to the "Project L: Mapping, Volunteers needed!" topic to find out where i could download LTMS. avaer said "1) Download the following zip file: <> (for windows).", but i cant find the link anywhere. i also searched the boards and searched google but found nothing. do u have a link that i can download LTMS from?

Sure. LMTS is hosted on SourceForge, and has been largely maintained by Zarquan and CroX, even though I think Elryn started it. You can download what I believe is the latest version here.
Unknown2007-10-15 16:34:13
ok cool ive got it but now... how do i use it? i dont want to map my own maps just yet. what i really want is to be able to use the premade maps that were mapped by the Project L peeps. im guessing those maps are in ltms-data-map.zip? if so, where do i put LMap and LMap.bin?
Unknown2007-10-15 16:40:40
QUOTE(AlexRey @ Oct 15 2007, 11:34 AM) 449944
ok cool ive got it but now... how do i use it? i dont want to map my own maps just yet. what i really want is to be able to use the premade maps that were mapped by the Project L peeps. im guessing those maps are in ltms-data-map.zip? if so, where do i put LMap and LMap.bin?

All of the files should be unzipped into the same directory as MB-core.exe. You should have at the very least mb-core.exe, config.txt, config.mapper.txt, LMap, and I believe zLib1.dll in the same directory. Once you have those, just run mb-core.exe. You should see: Loading file './l_mapper.dll' in the output window. If you do, it means you are good to go! If not, open the config.txt file and look at the very bottom under windows modules to make sure that l_mapper.dll is listed there.
Unknown2007-10-15 17:06:04
in my ltms-bin-win32 folder i have mb-core.exe, i_lua.dll, l_mapper.dll, lua51.dll, voter.dll, zlib1.dll, config.ilua.txt and config.exe but no config.mapper.txt (is it maybe config.ilua.txt?). i also put LMap and LMap.bin (from the ltms-data-map folder) into the ltms-bin-win32 folder.

when i run mb-core.exe i get this messages in the console:

Listening on port 123.
Loading file './l_mapper.dll'.
Loading file './voter.dll'.
Loading file './i_lua.dll'.
LMap loaded. (43726 microseconds)
Generating binary map.
ILua scripts loaded. (55 microseconds)
Entering main loop... All ready.

so what must i do next to be able to see the mapped maps and speedwalk?
Unknown2007-10-15 18:45:37
QUOTE(AlexRey @ Oct 15 2007, 12:06 PM) 449958
in my ltms-bin-win32 folder i have mb-core.exe, i_lua.dll, l_mapper.dll, lua51.dll, voter.dll, zlib1.dll, config.ilua.txt and config.exe but no config.mapper.txt (is it maybe config.ilua.txt?). i also put LMap and LMap.bin (from the ltms-data-map folder) into the ltms-bin-win32 folder.

when i run mb-core.exe i get this messages in the console:

Listening on port 123.
Loading file './l_mapper.dll'.
Loading file './voter.dll'.
Loading file './i_lua.dll'.
LMap loaded. (43726 microseconds)
Generating binary map.
ILua scripts loaded. (55 microseconds)
Entering main loop... All ready.

so what must i do next to be able to see the mapped maps and speedwalk?

All of those are exactly right. Config.mapper.txt is not required, it is just different options for the mapper. Config.ilua.txt is different, it includes configuration files for lua scripting (I wouldn't worry about that just yet, let's get the mapper up and working first).

Once you see the Entering main loop... All ready message, then launch zMUD and try to connect to that character you set up (the one that connects to localhost on port 123). From there, once you're logged in, go to a very common location, like for example your organization's nexus. Type LOOK, then type MAP to see where you are. You can also check ROOM HELP, MAP HELP, etc. for more information. The main commands you'll want will be ROOM FIND and MAP PATH.

To start with, if you want to find a room with certain text in it, you can use ROOM FIND to find that room. For example, ROOM FIND RIVER will give you a list of all of the rooms with River in the description, along with their room ID numbers. Then, you can use MAP PATH for a full set of exact directions to that location. To speedwalk after you see the map path, just type GO.

So, for example, if I am standing at the Megalith and I want to walk to the Moonhart Mother Tree, I would time ROOM FIND MOONHART MOTHER to find out that the number is 1234 (for example). Then, I would use MAP PATH 1234 which returns a list of directions, then GO will automatically follow those directions.

There are other advanced settings you will eventually want to set, including AREA OFF which will prevent you from walking through enemy territories, and tags which will let you mark a location so you can get there quickly instead of having to use room find. You should get the basics down first, though, then let me know and I'll give you some advice on more advanced settings.
Unknown2007-10-15 19:23:13
WOW THATS INTENSE!!! this mudbot is amazing! i noticed that it doesnt auto swim though (advanced setting?). ive tested it out so lets hit the advanced lesson biggrin.gif tongue.gif
Unknown2007-10-15 19:35:45
QUOTE(AlexRey @ Oct 15 2007, 02:23 PM) 449997
WOW THATS INTENSE!!! this mudbot is amazing! i noticed that it doesnt auto swim though (advanced setting?). ive tested it out so lets hit the advanced lesson biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Yes, autoswim is an advanced setting. Go back to your LMTS folder, and you should now see a config.mapper.txt file (it is auto-generated by MudBot). You can now open it, and you'll see a few options inside. The very first option says: Disable-Swimming Yes. Change the Yes to a No and it should autoswim for you (I think, I've never switched it to no).

In the same file, you can create "tags" which match a name with the room number. If you have a tag, you can just use MAP PATH to get directions, and type GO to get there. This way you just have to remember the tag name, and you don't have to use ROOM FIND. For example, here is one of the tags I have:

# The Moonhart Mother Tree. (Serenwilde Forest.)
Tag 5420 "mother"

The number is the ID number of the room (which shows up on ROOM FIND). The part in quotes is the tag name. So, while I'm running the mapper, I can just type MAP PATH MOTHER and get full directions to there. If I remember right, after you make any changes to this file, you should type MAP LOAD in zMUD to make sure they are saved.

If you are ever enemied to a certain area, or for whatever other reason do not want to walk through there, you can type MAP CREATE (to go into mapping mode) then type AREA OFF . For example, because I am enemied to New Celest, I type AREA OFF CELEST. When you're finished, type MAP FOLLOW to go back into normal following mode. If I turn Celest off, next time I get MAP PATH , it will not include any directions that go into or through New Celest. You can do the same thing with any area that is mapped in your map file.

I don't know a whole lot about creating new maps, I actually purchased Shamarah's maps so he would be a better resource when you get down to that part. Feel free to post if you have any other questions about following or configuring your mapper, though!
Unknown2007-10-16 05:43:21
config.mapper.txt didnt get created wtf.gif
Unknown2007-10-16 10:52:13
You do not need to configure LMapper by manually editing the config files. Use these commands for more info: MAP HELP, ROOM HELP, AREA HELP, EXIT HELP. They should provide you with what you need. Using the MAP CONFIG SAVE command should generate a config file for you.

Also, included in the one and only release of LMTS is a map I made over Lusternia. It far from complete, nor does it include any environment information because Lusternian rooms changes environment and I never got around to implement something for that. I simply didn't want an incorrect map. Either way, it's a good base if you don't want to start from scratch or pay for something you could just as well do yourself. Link to the SF project page can be found in my signature.
Unknown2007-10-16 11:53:20
QUOTE(CroX @ Oct 16 2007, 05:52 AM) 450210
You do not need to configure LMapper by manually editing the config files. Use these commands for more info: MAP HELP, ROOM HELP, AREA HELP, EXIT HELP. They should provide you with what you need. Using the MAP CONFIG SAVE command should generate a config file for you.

Also, included in the one and only release of LMTS is a map I made over Lusternia. It far from complete, nor does it include any environment information because Lusternian rooms changes environment and I never got around to implement something for that. I simply didn't want an incorrect map. Either way, it's a good base if you don't want to start from scratch or pay for something you could just as well do yourself. Link to the SF project page can be found in my signature.

Interesting, you can even add tags through the mapper interface?

I've always just had more fun editing the config files...
Unknown2007-10-16 18:20:33
It should be pointed out that MudBot only autoswims on rooms based on a certain area type.

For example, the rooms in Serenwilde Forest are marked as "Forest", even the ones that are part of the stream that runs through it, which require you to swim.

If you set the Forest environment to swim, MudBot will try swimming EVERY time you walk into a room that's listed as being part of the Forest environment.

The only possible workaround I can think of is manually editing the LMap file and changing those specific rooms to an environment that's set to swim when walking through.
Unknown2007-10-16 22:39:35
QUOTE(Risch @ Oct 16 2007, 01:20 PM) 450333
It should be pointed out that MudBot only autoswims on rooms based on a certain area type.

For example, the rooms in Serenwilde Forest are marked as "Forest", even the ones that are part of the stream that runs through it, which require you to swim.

If you set the Forest environment to swim, MudBot will try swimming EVERY time you walk into a room that's listed as being part of the Forest environment.

The only possible workaround I can think of is manually editing the LMap file and changing those specific rooms to an environment that's set to swim when walking through.

Good point.

For the record, autoswim is usually counter-productive anyway. Safer to just get a waterwalk enchant.
Unknown2007-12-08 16:33:13
QUOTE(mitbulls @ Oct 16 2007, 10:39 PM) 450562
Good point.

For the record, autoswim is usually counter-productive anyway. Safer to just get a waterwalk enchant.

Or you could fly if you have that ability... smile.gif
Unknown2007-12-08 16:37:42
Necro alert!

And, some water rooms are underground or indoors, so no flying over that water.
Unknown2007-12-22 06:20:57
lol, just got into this (it rocks btw!) and I have a problem.

mapping out Shallach, I went down to the lower level, mapped it out, then went up again, and it wasn't the same area... it must have made a new elevation. What's more, I type ROOM MERGE and it lists two rooms in the area but doesn't -actually- merge them. I'm a bit confused. Am I supposed to type GO or something? Or what?

EDIT: Figured it, D/W.