Bank accounts: Do you use them? If so, why?

by Ssaliss

Back to The Polling Place.

Enyalida2012-08-04 03:57:16
25k-30k market prices are showing that the value of gold is down because the market is flooded with the stuff. Compared to the static (against real life currency) value of the credits, the amount of gold you need for each has dropped, therefore each gold piece is worth less. More gold coming out of nowhere with no time investment will make the credit market prices go up.
Sidd2012-08-04 04:36:13
Enyalida:

25k-30k market prices are showing that the value of gold is down because the market is flooded with the stuff. Compared to the static (against real life currency) value of the credits, the amount of gold you need for each has dropped, therefore each gold piece is worth less. More gold coming out of nowhere with no time investment will make the credit market prices go up.

And I already mentioned an example of where their is the same mechanic (aetolia having interest gain on bank accounts, which they've had for quite some time), and they don't have incredibly high credit prices, so obviously it's not as 'bonkers' as you are trying to make it out to be.

It's a bonus from the ylem tree there, but it caps out at 30k per game year, so there's methods to do this that doesn't result in 'bonker's gold growth
Enyalida2012-08-04 04:52:18
Eh. Aetolia has substantially different gold drop, mercantile skill, and general resource mechanics. I really don't see how it applies that Aetolia has appreciating gold.

In practice, a moderate appreciation of gold wouldn't drastically hurt anything, especially on the small scale. However, increasing the amount of gold created will increase inflation, even if just a little, as gold supply increases 'passively' without any new gold sinks being created and without an increase in the amount of gold freezing up in org coffers over time.
Unknown2012-08-04 05:15:48
clearly curios should have gold prices
Ssaliss2012-08-04 08:00:38
Feel free to make your suggestions in this thread!
Sidd2012-08-04 16:30:35
Enyalida:

Eh. Aetolia has substantially different gold drop, mercantile skill, and general resource mechanics. I really don't see how it applies that Aetolia has appreciating gold.

In practice, a moderate appreciation of gold wouldn't drastically hurt anything, especially on the small scale. However, increasing the amount of gold created will increase inflation, even if just a little, as gold supply increases 'passively' without any new gold sinks being created and without an increase in the amount of gold freezing up in org coffers over time.

Always with the pessimistic 'can't do it' - attitude
Ssaliss2012-08-04 16:35:28
Honestly, when you first presented the idea, I was very much against it too. Gold is already plentiful enough; we don't need something that will exponentially increase it. However, if it was capped at 30k an IC year, then that would be far more appealing; I'm still not crazy about the idea (it is, after all, completely unneeded), but at least it won't create a massive amount of extra gold.
Xenthos2012-08-04 16:46:11
I feel like a maximum of 1,000,000 gold a year is appropriate.
Enyalida2012-08-04 16:56:08
Sidd:

Always with the pessimistic 'can't do it' - attitude

Really? I'm pointing out specifically that it could easily be coded in and done, and that the effects would be minimal - but that you cannot ignore what it would do to the economy, no matter how much 'good' it would do for the individual (specifically the individual who is already rich).

Please don't try to discount reasonable discussion with labeling.

@Ssaliss That's pretty much what I went through. In the general case, the smaller the gold influx, the better. If it's only a small-ish contribution though, it's not a big deal. 1mil is far too much, 30k is the effort of a single good bashing session.

EDIT:

Eventru:

The economy is in utter shambles - where millions of gold was once unattainable without weeks upon weeks of grinding or selling 150-200 credits, it's now what you'ld pay for 30-40 credits. If you get a good deal. To borrow a term, the rich have gotten richer (I believe the term my friend uses is "sickeningly wealthy"), and the poor have gotten infinitely poorer. Being unable to afford to "gamble" (with massive wins and little loss) means everyone else gets miles and miles ahead, while you're left in the dust. Those are the ones I feel the worst for - the people who couldn't afford to spin, and now have to deal with that economy until it levels back out.

HEYO, exactly what I've been saying, from the mouth of an admin! (emphasis mine)
Unknown2012-08-04 19:43:04
Sidd:

And I already mentioned an example of where their is the same mechanic (aetolia having interest gain on bank accounts, which they've had for quite some time), and they don't have incredibly high credit prices, so obviously it's not as 'bonkers' as you are trying to make it out to be.

Going to have to back up Enyalida on this one. I moved over to Aetolia a few months back now, and can tell you that bank interest has VERY little to do with their credit prices. Aetolian gold drops are substantially lower (the best gold dropping areas rarely give more than 10k or so per clear, most endgame bashing gives closer to half that), cities have to pay an appreciable amount of gold for their security (almost half our income, in my city), and free commodity generation is very slow, and cannot be bolstered by quests (most commodities must be bought, at high price, from villages). Further, there are almost no non-decay items, including big ticket items like weapons and armor, clothes can be worn under armor, non everyone can craft vials, ect. that all gold moves around much more in Aetolia, and that there are substantially more gold and commodity sinks, with smaller gold and commodity income. Basically, credits are less expensive because the economy is healthier; nothing to do with bank interest.

Besides, Aetolian bank interest is only 4% per year, max 30k per year. This means that, in order to get this level of income, you have to leave 750k in the bank, a substantial amount, even for most endgamers, and 30k is enough to be a nice little perk.

Edit: Also, there are only about 15 'real' commodities, ones that are generated and sold in city comm shops. Most food, metal (other than iron/steel), gem, stone, and other commodities can only be bought from NPCs, for yet another goldsink,