So.... Shieldsmash....

by Svana

Back to Combat Guide.

Enyalida2012-03-19 06:27:31
I'm up with making shieldsmash a time aff that degrades the stats of any shield the afflicted person wields for a short time. Reducing the grade of other people's equipment is kind of asswholeish, which is why the skill was nerfed in the first place. See the comments about it making people very angry. Just make it so that it accomplishes the goal, reduction of shield efficiency, in a non-'permanent' manner.
Rivius2012-03-19 14:58:06
I don't see why it's such a big deal. It can get repaired fully in two seconds by a forger (at no cost really). Do you ever go to your forger after that ONE TIME you get them to make you a shield :P?

Not to mention that you're probably overestimating how much the reduction is at its lowest right now.

Ushaara was thinking adding an interference with parrying for a very brief time, and making it a one handed move.
Enyalida2012-03-19 15:41:57
Oh, it's not that it's a huge expense, but really the question should be: do you ever s your forger after that ONE TIME you get them to make your shield?

Really, I think that the idea of having your collected stuff be assaulted is the problem here, it's not an issue of the attack actually having much effect (as it currently does not have much of an effect). It's why (for instance) possess is severely limited. You can no longer clean out someone's curatives, for instance. Granted, that has more of a gold cost, but it's a restriction based around the ideal concept that combat shouldn't be specifically aiming to degrade your equipment/deplete your personal resources, but instead be centered around strategic advances towards a goal that doesn't involve just pissing/harrying off the other party. That's how I figure this skill was nerfed into uselessness, and I figure removing the 'permanent' capacity of the skill to degrade shields would allow it to be buffed back up.

As for the parrying thing, isn't that a clone of the twohander heavyaxe-type skills? I kinda doubt that will fly (for copypasta protection reasons), especially on a one-hander.
Unknown2012-03-19 16:32:50
eritheyl:

This would be awkward if my shield rune was attached to, say, my viola.

Nonsense! Diablo and Team Fortress 2 have taught me that you can repair ANYTHING by hitting them with a hammer/wench!
Unknown2012-03-19 16:42:42
Hitting things with a wench... now, that sounds like a whole other kind of fun.
Malarious2012-03-19 20:48:33
The degrading stats is not really needed as much anymore.

TrueShield it at something like 4 stat per 1 armor. At this point the shieldrune is not worth its cost unless you really need a second hand open.
Rivius2012-03-19 21:16:27
Zarquan:

Hitting things with a wench... now, that sounds like a whole other kind of fun.

New weapon spec idea?

The degrading stats is not really needed as much anymore.

TrueShield it at something like 4 stat per 1 armor. At this point the shieldrune is not worth its cost unless you really need a second hand open.

What. How is the shield rune not worth it.
Malarious2012-03-20 01:37:54
Rivius:

What. How is the shield rune not worth it.

350 credits for 2 things:
1) 52/52 stats (which converts to 13/13 armor)
2) Freed second hand

You used tobe paying for like 20+ armor or so. So you have lost 50% of the armor with no reduction in the price of the artifact. A normal shield will be like 3 or 4 stats lower in each area really. So to me a total of 8 stats lower is not worth 350 credits.

I dislike any arty devalued from envoys.
Enyalida2012-03-20 02:11:05
Where is this conversion factor coming from?
Malarious2012-03-20 04:03:49
Rough numbers.

The last change was report 213:

Furies' Decision:
Will reduce trueshield effectiveness by 50%.
Enyalida2012-03-20 04:17:03
I don't think that's what they meant. From memory, normal shields had stats of about 40 pre nerf, and they have stats about 20 now. So, there isn't any 'scaling' factor, they literally just made shields only work for half stats on robe users. I specifically remember there being a big hue and cry that this nerfed normal shields without at all touching artifact shields, the stated problem. May just be faulty memory, but there you are, that's what I remember about that report.
Turnus2012-03-20 05:50:51
That report is from June 2009...

The most recent shield change is what Enyalida's talking about. Which made artie shields actually better compared to what you can get without an artifact.
Unknown2012-03-20 12:15:34
Don't forget about the shieldstun. You know you love the shieldstun.
Malarious2012-03-20 12:19:02
I can wield a separate shield for shieldstun, I do not need to rune for it.

Ah ha! From that report:

---:
Just an observation of the numbers, we've got: 70/70 splendors. 52/52 shield rune. That is 70 + 26 == 96/96 on all body parts, with suggestion number two. Fullplate's maximum as of now is 100/100. Is this really what you're all looking for in terms of actual protective comparison?

That +26 means its 2 stats to 1 armor. and to my knowledge it was a change in stat effects not in hard numbers (shields still reach the same to my knowledge) so 50% less would mean 4 to 1. Thats where it engrained.
Unknown2012-03-20 16:21:29
foolofsound:

Nonsense! Diablo and Team Fortress 2 have taught me that you can repair ANYTHING by hitting them with a hammer/wench!

Next stop.... Marriage.