Mugwump roleplay?

by Jillory

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Jillory2011-10-07 23:00:54
After being out of realm for so long, and not being very politics- or combat-oriented, the big thing I'm coping with is a total lack of fellow mugwumps. I chose my race based on potential roleplay, so I don't know but that we are badly matched to most guilds. But really ... none?

Ideally I'd like to have Jillory marry and bloodline children, have a family to share with and teach her business, but she's always seemed like the type who would stick to her own kind, not out of narrow-mindedness, but simply because she loves mugwumps and is most comfortable around her own people.

Ages ago I had an aslaran character and there was almost TOO much racial roleplay surrounding her; I suppose it was the heady time of aslaran cultural development but the dramz, oh, the dramz! Why can't I have just a little bit now?

Is there mugwump roleplay that I don't know about? Am I just logging in when all the others are asleep? Any mugwumps out there looking for the same?
Raeri2011-10-08 00:07:55
I know of a few that are around. Chances are the ones that are awake have cloaking gems and/or are demi, so you'd have to actually LOOK at them to discern the race.
Unknown2011-10-08 00:42:35
R(ACE)WHO can show you other mugwumps who are online; even Demigods are shown. I'm not sure if it goes through Cloaking, though.
Unknown2011-10-08 00:52:10
I don't think it does, or else it would be a pretty glaring loophole on a 400cr artifact. Personally, I don't remember seeing certain Loboshigaru demigods like Ryboi - who I assume has a gem - on RWHO but I have seen others like Janalon. (At least I think it was Janalon.)

EDIT: Yep, it's Janalon.

rwho
Poisonpaw Janalon Llaewell, Mother of Nightmares << (Approximation of that funky yellow demigod color.)
Brother Sabara, Apprentice of Otem
Brother Denust Dekoven, Weary Old Wolf
Azureus2012-01-23 06:22:27
This is a very old topic, I realize; I realize further that this is only my second post and thread-resurrection is probably a major faux-pas to be starting out with.

But I have things to say on the topic and it's still on page 1, so it doesn't feel worth starting a redundant topic.

Mugwump sure feels like an under-played race — I've met one other, Jitwix, in my time, and we only had a conversation-and-a-half before I never saw him again. I check RWHO every time I play, fairly regularly, but it's rare I see even one other name on the list.

There's some enjoyment to be found in everyone going "holy crap, it's a mugwump" when they meet me in game for the first time; it's also fun to be so obvious and distinctive in Hallifax even if I'm not actually a stellar player. But it'd be great to experience racial roleplay without having to make an alt.

So, mugwumpi players and anyone who might happen to have a mugwumpi alt — come out, come out, wherever you are.

Because Mugwump racial roleplay is going to exist while I'm around, even if I have to carve it out alone and find things to do to entertain myself. (Using CATCHFLY standing at the Aetherplex is fun and draws reactions, every time.)

I'm also going to start submitting "Mugwumpi cultural tales" as bardic entries, and I hope that has some sort of positive effect. I'm keeping an optimistic outlook about this, but hey — come join me. This is an open invitation, to any org, to work on finding something racially in common.

It'd be nice to see it for other "minor" races, too, but I can't exactly contribute to that myself.
Unknown2012-01-23 06:35:19
Hopefully we will see more mugwumps when and if the special report goes through. Problem is, Mugwumps aren't viable in combat, and most non-coms want to play a "pretty" race, so you end up missing both demographics. Good luck with your RP though!
Turnus2012-01-23 06:51:39
Being the only mugwump in a distinctly unmugwump world is a RP opportunity itself. There are also tons of mugwump NPCs to model behind, though obviously the interactions with them are limited, they can give a basis at least.
Unknown2012-01-23 06:58:39
There's a fair amount of character information revealed in the histories about Mugowumpois and her personality, you could use that.
Unknown2012-01-23 20:16:16
foolofsound:

Hopefully we will see more mugwumps when and if the special report goes through. Problem is, Mugwumps aren't viable in combat, and most non-coms want to play a "pretty" race, so you end up missing both demographics. Good luck with your RP though!

I just have no idea how to make a desc for one.
Unknown2012-01-23 21:25:21
Someone with a changeling cameo asked me for advice on that once. I suggested he look to the noble axolotl. I think he's still got the gilly-frilly desc somewhere for those rare occasions he needs to go mugwump!

For other kinds, presumably you'd want to start with a slimy-skinned humanoid with a high chance of webbed digits, add some coloration, then decide if you're going to be froglike, salamandish, or caecilianoid, and go from there. The latter two give you extra potential for tails! Heck, you could even mix and match. Why not be a salamander with poison dart frog colors?
Unknown2012-01-23 21:31:51
Whoa, mugwumps exist? I thought they were pure myth.

Can't fight, can't hunt, can't influence, aren't pretty enough to reproduce... I'd always thought darwinian selection had ended the species.
Azureus2012-01-23 21:34:49
Turnus:

Being the only mugwump in a distinctly unmugwump world is a RP opportunity itself.

I do enjoy it. Maybe not every moment, but there's definitely enjoyment to be found.

But I do want to extend the invitation for people to join me.

I'll post my desc soon, though now may be a perfect chance to revise it a bit.
Unknown2012-01-23 21:44:17
Azureus:

I do enjoy it. Maybe not every moment, but there's definitely enjoyment to be found.

But I do want to extend the invitation for people to join me.

I'll post my desc soon, though now may be a perfect chance to revise it a bit.

I was a grook most of the time in Achaea. Love the concept. Love Lusty's RP for it.

However, idling at a nexus isn't my idea of fun RP. Mugwumps' crippling frailty, inability to influence, etc, makes them unsuitable even for questing. It essentially means that -all- you can really do with a mugwump character is idle, and possibly design things.

If they make mugwumps at least playable, they don't even need to be high-end, just viable, I'd play one.
Azureus2012-01-23 21:53:23
PhantasmalKiller:

However, idling at a nexus isn't my idea of fun RP. Mugwumps' crippling frailty, inability to influence, etc, makes them unsuitable even for questing.

I'm not seeing the link between frailty in combat and quality of RP.

Class skills can help with other things. I can influence alright if I'm in my demesne.

It essentially means that -all- you can really do with a mugwump character is idle, and possibly design things.

Oh. Um. Oops.

Which reminds me, I still haven't finished that viola design.
Unknown2012-01-23 22:08:19
Crippling frailty means you can't leave main continent prime. Or do any quest requiring bashing. And... demesne influencing pretty much applies to guard stacks only (no way I'm blowing the power to demesne hundreds of rooms a day)... which just kinda goes with the nexus idling theme.
Azureus2012-01-23 23:16:06
PhantasmalKiller:

Crippling frailty means you can't leave main continent prime. Or do any quest requiring bashing.

Now you're being silly.

If I can handle routine daily clears of Air without any difficulty, despite having a Level 3 weakness to electricity and all the Air mobs using electric attacks, then the problem is clearly not as bad as you're building it up to be. Nor have I ever had any trouble bashing that wasn't due to my own recklessness or carelessness.

The only times I've ever died off-prime has been when a raid was swooping in while I was bashing and I panicked — and with no combat skills, that would have happened regardless of what race I was playing.
Unknown2012-01-23 23:20:29
Apologies. I tend to hyperbolize as a matter of emphasis about anything that's a major problem. Guess I've just gotten spoiled by meta races that tend to be good at pretty much everything, or specialized to really excel in at least one of the three major categories, or more.
Azureus2012-01-23 23:49:17
Well, I can't deny that if we start talking about in-game effectiveness, I made a horrible mistake, especially with that aforementioned weakness to electricity.

I have a reincarnation still, but I'm unlikely to ever use it, not when I picked a frog classification as my name. I'm living with it.

I'll be honest and say sometimes I call up a help file and eye someone else's stats enviously. Especially when the Symphonium and Minstrels were opening and everyone was deciding whether to change guilds or not. Bards are great, but I didn't want to bother working against my low CHA. Mage is suiting just fine, though.
Rivius2012-01-24 01:05:45
Eh, Sondayga was a mugwump for a while and he still kicked ass. I'd say he was more than viable.
Chade2012-01-24 13:31:14
Most fun I think I've ever had on a character in Lusternia was a Mugwump SD I created to have a play with the skills. Proper glass cannon play, hit them with hexes as quickly as possible and drop choke, then succumb, toad curse and stomp. Was a long time ago now though.