On Warriors and Monks

by Svana

Back to Combat Guide.

Ixion2012-02-24 15:52:37
Rivius:

I doubt it. Chances are, it's a massive curing issue (which most people have), or terrible robes. You'd have to be an outlier, basically. I don't know anyone who can build on, say, Xena.

Agree with everything except for your example.
Walraven2012-02-24 15:54:56
I've played a titan monk, albeit a while ago, now a demi warrior. Monks were especially overpowered then, but warrior is more fun to me.

I think monks have been toned down considerably since, I'll give you that Sahmiam, but they still seem to deal better wounds, do more damage, deal more numerous and more severe afflictions over time than warriors. They also have access nicer DMP and dodge, are harder to hinder cause of contort and can survive better in group combat because they can get out of rooms more easily when they are targeted, with several skills. There's just no comparison, monks seem to trump warriors in all areas. The snowball theory may work on paper, in practice, if a warrior is able to get the ball rolling at all, the monk'll have killed said target five times over.

Saving grace for warriors is behead, and pin leg if you go that route, Svana. The report Lothringen speaks about can change a lot for warriors and will buff monks too through their damage. And if you get demigod, the +5 strength you can get will improve your performance a lot. You will not, however, stand a decent chance against anyone who knows how to use a web enchantment.
Unknown2012-02-24 16:03:08
I really disagree with you, Walraven.

If I start fighting again, I'm probably going to go be a warrior. Monks certainly deal less wounding, and if you're having monks build you up to critical on more than one body part at a time, that's a curing issue. It's probably a curing issue if they're up to critical anyway.

Monks deal more damage, yes.

If you want a reliable kill, you'll go with a warrior over a monk. Monks feed on poor curing and mistakes, failing to hinder, and bad play. Simply put, you should fear someone like Ixion over any monk, no matter how good or bad they are.

No body ever adapts to fighting monks: it's wrong to assume you can treat them like any other class, and every monk guild basically has 1 or 2 ways to kill you, all of which are very straightforward and easy to counter if handled properly.
Ixion2012-02-24 16:05:20
Walraven:

but warrior is more fun

You will not, however, stand a decent chance against anyone who knows how to use a web enchantment.

Snipped for quote fistbump. That's certainly true for me at least about warrior being fun, and also I agree anyone who wants to get away from a warrior 1v1 can easily do so if they leave even for a few moments to catch up on wounds, or a warrior using puer, or shieldstun spam on good timings, or twenty other things.

Yeah.. monks don't do much wounding though, nor do they need to for instas/locks/dmg bursts.
Unknown2012-02-25 01:17:03

Monks deal more damage, yes.

It's our job to deal damage. :/ It's been that way for every monk class I've played in each IRE mud. The moment monks start becoming carbon copies of warriors in terms of damage and wounding is the day I switch from monk to warrior. Warriors just need a buff to be on par with other classes. Especially their armor.... an entire skillset with a trans skill dedicated to crafting their own armor and it comes out worse off than a top-of-the-line greatrobe or trans tattooarmor in terms of damage type absorption. Especially with the armor nerfs coming up, something should be done about that.
Unknown2012-02-25 13:35:21
How can anyone talk about psymet and fail to mention sweet, sweet bloodboil? Amazing skill.
Janalon2012-02-25 13:43:09

How can anyone talk about psymet and fail to mention sweet, sweet bloodboil? Amazing skill.

Especially with illithoid's ego boost.
Enyalida2012-02-25 18:39:09
EDIT: Blagh, misread something.