Why isn't "Poison" an Elemental Type

by Janalon

Back to Survival Guide.

Sidd2011-10-06 21:38:47
QUOTE (Enyalida @ Oct 6 2011, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You also have snake with is 25 poison off the bat... On top of the 17 from garb, and another 30 from cloak.

Edit: the construct that helps poison dmp is the garb business.

You see, I was trying to point out 'unique' glom poison dmp, not general skill dmp that other orgs have access to as well.

and because I'm a smart one (I should have used this from the getgo), but bodyscan resistances shows that garb only give 11 dmp to non-night users

Garb is the construct thing, all gloms get 11 poison dmp, totem users get the same 25 all other totem users get and crow users (druids and Xenthos) get 30 from cloak for poison,

so Crow users get 41 extra and all gloms get 11 extra. That's not really a wide disparity.

That's not really anything over the top, I'm just trying to say there really isn't as wide of a disparity as people are making it out to be.
Janalon2011-10-06 22:23:38
Perhaps we should identify what threshold constitutes "Over the Top," and the baseline given end-game DMP values most commonly achieved across all orgs using common skills and consumables.

Of course, the that discussion should probably focus more on Percent Damage Modified rather than straight Damage Modifier Point values (which are are weighted).
Eventru2011-10-07 03:38:07
QUOTE (Enyalida @ Oct 6 2011, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: And that's not how we've seen Hart Aspects for a long time, there hasn't been any rebirth fluff written there for... as long as I can remember or can read back in our records. A while ago (quite a bit before me) someone went through and destroyed a lot of our rituals and the like, but I don't think that was ever the direction we went with that.

It was! That's the whole point of the Sacred Grove - it's a circle, and the Standing Stones are arranged in a circle. Everything to the White Hart is cyclical - he doesn't perceive time in a line, but he perceives it in a far more animalistic fashion - like I said. Cycles, man. Life, death, rebirth - it's all tied into his nature, and the nature of a spirit of prey and hunt.
Enyalida2011-10-07 03:49:49
Hehe, that's not what we construe the circle of stones as either. The circle is a pretty obvious design for anything, and we've got a bigger look at the past/present/future aspect of it, not anything cyclical, we leave that to moon. We don't have much rp written out for stag anymore, I've been working on some things based on what Hart says and has said in the past and rebirth has.... no part in it, hehe.

EDIT: I'm not sure I want to hash this out on the forums, but at least on some other thread. No one I've talked to it about has ever seen any sort of rebirth imagery in Stag and Stag Aspects, it's all in Moon (see the literal maiden/mother/crone, cyclic moon phases and Moon skill, the pregnant avatar signiling new life, and so on.). My tagline for Stag is Inner Strength.
Unknown2011-10-07 04:05:10
I've always seen Stag as Defense of the Forest (Herd), Courage (in the face of predators), and Sacrifice (so others may live). Not so sure that Stag is particularly cyclical. Their skillset certainly doesn't reflect cycles or rebirth. That is VERY much a Moon trait (see Resurgem and Shine).
Eventru2011-10-07 04:06:39
QUOTE (Enyalida @ Oct 6 2011, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehe, that's not what we construe the circle of stones as either. The circle is a pretty obvious design for anything, and we've got a bigger look at the past/present/future aspect of it, not anything cyclical, we leave that to moon. We don't have much rp written out for stag anymore, I've been working on some things based on what Hart says and has said in the past and rebirth has.... no part in it, hehe.

EDIT: I'm not sure I want to hash this out on the forums, but at least on some other thread. No one I've talked to it about has ever seen any sort of rebirth imagery in Stag and Stag Aspects, it's all in Moon (see the literal maiden/mother/crone, cyclic moon phases and Moon skill, the pregnant avatar signiling new life, and so on.). My tagline for Stag is Inner Strength.

That's a shame. I fondly remember the White Hart going on about how time was cyclical and how he saw things in past, present and future in a more circular fashion, versus linear. Inner Strength is an aspect of the White Hart, but there's a lot more to it, too.

It was one of the big heart-breaks during one of the Grutina events - when the White Hart was sacrificed to seal Grutina in an egg, and in the process condemned himself to never being reborn.

While those aspects are also present in Moon, they're present in Hart, too. They're big themes in Serenwilde, really - because they're big themes in nature at large.

I'm having a difficult time explaining it without going into copious detail and digging through event logs and the like, something I keep promising myself I won't do.

Talk to your patron - Hart is so much more, and is a complex spirit in an intertwined ideology and philosophy regarding hunters, prey and natural order, as well as the seasons and their ebb and flow.
Janalon2011-10-07 19:42:51
@Eventru, I want to thank you for investing the time and thought to answer the many questions about how damage types related to Lusternian lore. I've enjoyed everything you've written so far, and it has deepened my appreciation of the game.

Here's another. I believe tattooing mentions something about "Kata" energies being infused into the tattoo. How does this relate to psionic/psymet abilities found in some monks? Do they derive from the same source?
Eventru2011-10-08 03:05:28
QUOTE (Janalon @ Oct 7 2011, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Eventru, I want to thank you for investing the time and thought to answer the many questions about how damage types related to Lusternian lore. I've enjoyed everything you've written so far, and it has deepened my appreciation of the game.

Here's another. I believe tattooing mentions something about "Kata" energies being infused into the tattoo. How does this relate to psionic/psymet abilities found in some monks? Do they derive from the same source?

Psionics is a mental faculty - psymet, particularly, is the result of male kephera's weaker psionic power (compared to the exceptionally powerful females). Instead of focusing on interacting on the environment, they focused inwards.

Ka energies is a more 'spiritual' focus, developed by the Tosha monks over the generations they've spent in meditation, trying to overcome their natural bloodlust. It's this spiritual 'awareness' that allows them to draw energy from within and without.

So, short version, they have similar results, but probably are from different sources, if I had to guess.
Janalon2011-10-08 03:24:50
QUOTE (Eventru @ Oct 7 2011, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Psionics is a mental faculty - psymet, particularly, is the result of male kephera's weaker psionic power (compared to the exceptionally powerful females). Instead of focusing on interacting on the environment, they focused inwards.

Ka energies is a more 'spiritual' focus, developed by the Tosha monks over the generations they've spent in meditation, trying to overcome their natural bloodlust. It's this spiritual 'awareness' that allows them to draw energy from within and without.

So, short version, they have similar results, but probably are from different sources, if I had to guess.

Any speculation how the illithoid came to also learn about how to harness their psymet powers?
Eventru2011-10-08 04:44:33
QUOTE (Janalon @ Oct 7 2011, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any speculation how the illithoid came to also learn about how to harness their psymet powers?

If I had to guess, I'd say they mimicked/"stole" it from the kephera.

They're a powerful psionic race, and big on biological stuff. It probably wasn't long at all after they saw it at work that they said, "Hey, we can do that too".
Malarious2011-10-08 05:41:17
Ok to be honest.. tl;dr

With that said....

• Not everyone can get lowmagic
  • Hold breath in discipline nullifies all asphyxiation damage but do we want to encourage the spam?
  • "Poison" is not truly poison the way it tends to be used, its acid or corrosive.
  • Poison as a damage type is pretty much unresistable unless you are in a commune (whom gets snake totem AND the massive dmp from trans moon/night if applicable)
  • Psychic is probably the most niche resisted type due to hold breath.
Janalon2011-10-08 11:37:51
QUOTE (Malarious @ Oct 8 2011, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok to be honest.. tl;dr

With that said....

• Not everyone can get lowmagic
  • Hold breath in discipline nullifies all asphyxiation damage but do we want to encourage the spam?
  • "Poison" is not truly poison the way it tends to be used, its acid or corrosive.
  • Poison as a damage type is pretty much unresistable unless you are in a commune (whom gets snake totem AND the massive dmp from trans moon/night if applicable)
  • Psychic is probably the most niche resisted type due to hold breath.

Mal, I know you have thoughts on everything. What are your thoughts about the future direction of resistance DMP in response to many (if not eventually all) guilds getting tuning like abilities to spread across multiple damage types... even asphyx / poison / psychic / exco / divi? See this:

http://forums.lusternia.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=843399
Saran2011-10-08 15:33:23
QUOTE (Eventru @ Oct 2 2011, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because 'hot' and 'cold' and 'electric' are matters of energy, ie energy being released (heat) or absorbed (cold) or discharged (electric).

Toxins are proteins.

teach.gif

That just such a weird elemental correspondence to me for some reason. Perhaps because it reminded me of the states of matter where you have Earth (Solid), Air (Gaseous), Fire (Energy) and Water (Fluid).

QUOTE (Enyalida @ Oct 7 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I... *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* it's only been two years :'(
Malarious2011-10-09 03:56:58
QUOTE (Janalon @ Oct 8 2011, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mal, I know you have thoughts on everything. What are your thoughts about the future direction of resistance DMP in response to many (if not eventually all) guilds getting tuning like abilities to spread across multiple damage types... even asphyx / poison / psychic / exco / divi? See this:

http://forums.lusternia.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=843399

I think the tradition of Lusternia is to buff before you nerf something because love to envoy "make this just as good" before they envoy "make them on par" and generally adjusting yourself tends to go better. As a result I think you can expect more DMP added before any dmp things are moved, it will be up to the guilds and envoys to give themselves buffs. As more tuning type abilities come into play though I believe you will see a few chain reactions at the meta level (yes I love lists):
  • People will redo their tattoos to adjust to the changed standard types. For instance some people have already started moving toward asphyxiation or poison resistance tattoos over things like blunt because blunt is less common especially with tuning (who would TUNE for blunt). This is the "fill in the gap" short measure which is likely to be followed with the below.
  • Guilds will start envoying to increase DMP to target areas. Right now I think divinus is the least resisted by most all guilds and has only one real source of it (nimbus enchant). It also has the largest edge in bashing so expect several to try to gain it as a damage type.
  • I think bashing will get really funky, some may in fact skew their guild specifically to optimize bashing.

We shall see, those were my immediate thoughts.