Anyone for a quick adventure?

by Enyalida

Back to The Real World.

Enyalida2012-10-02 04:16:00
Would anyone like to participate in a one-off, single-adventure game on the forums? It'd be from a game called 'Unknown armies", a wonderful, less-well-known table top game. There is a book full of such 'one-shots' (that's the title of the book), that are all really nifty. I thought it'd be a fun diversion, and a good way for me to get my feet wet with gm-ing a Play-by-Post format!

These are designed to be playable in a single sitting in person. I don't expect us to get through it anywhere near as fast over the forums (unless people want to skype it, that's fine by me), but it would be done within a week or so, hopefully.

If you want to play, just bump this thread with interest. Anyone who signs on will either be given a choice of pre-generated characters, or be allowed to choose from a list of pre-generated characters, depending on the adventure.

That's right! You don't have to write a character out or figure out how the rules work ahead of time! I will brief you on anything relevant about your character when I send you over your little character card. It's a fairly simple and intuitive system, I find, and most of these adventures don't require you to know anything extended about the setting (modern day, more-or-less our universe) or the rules.

One thing I'm uncertain on is what story I'd want to run. Each is written by a different author, and has a radically different play and story style. So, if you're interested, you should also vote on a story to try! I've written out a little blurb about each and appended the character lists (with the uber-short blurb attached) from the book so you get a general idea of who you'd want to play in each.

"Jailbreak"
Three convicts have broken out of a nearby prison and holed up in a house, with hostages. This scenario is all about the interplay between hostages and convicts. Not all the convicts are hardened criminals, and not all of the hostages are what they seem!

Info: Requires at least 4-5, can run up to 9! Has potential for some action, but is low magic, and all characters are likely to survive.

Characters:
-Steve Updike, a wife-beater and the leader of the escaped prisoners.
- Jake Spundie, a corrections officer captured by the cons.
- Uder Krazmersky, the aged owner of the farmhouse where the cons hide out.
- Morton Willits, a quiet convict with a firm set of moral standards.
- Ella Krazmersky, Uder's lovely wife.
- Juan Riccinto, who was falsely convicted and is looking out for himself.
- Janet Mattice, a lawyer and one of the hostages.
- David "Icepick" Leyner, a con man and small-fry hood.
- Donna Ngwashi, Janet Mattice's client.

"Joy and Sorrow"
The small suburb of Linda Vista entertains a strange group of visitors. How will they deal with these new problems, when they can't even sort out their own petty little lives? Mysterious strangers tempt the members of the HOA with a deal that seems too good to be true.

Info: Can handle up to 5 people. This has close to no action, and has the least focus on DOING things IC. However, this scenario really requires flexing your characterization and backstory muscles. It's almost entirely based around creating a real character around the bits you're given, and running to the conclusions that creates. No risk of character death.

Characters:
- Eric Bonneville, the dependent husband.
- Sarah Bonneville, the domineering wife, who just wants what's best.
- Dr. Martin Daniels, the aspiring scholar with no money and no friends.
- Edwin Graham, the "big successful writer" with a dirty secret.
- Wendy Larsson, the single-mother soccermom with energizer batteries.

"Fly to Heaven"
A routine passenger flight goes wrong as it is hijacked by a bad man with a worse plan. Passengers band together as something they'd never believe would happen to them happens before their very eyes - if they can believe what they're seeing! You're pretty sure that 'Apu' isn't arab at all, and you're not sure what exactly he's going on about, but you know that someone needs to take back control of the plane before it's too late!

Info: This one pretty much needs exactly 4 people. It's a good mix of action and thinking. You don't need to flesh out a character as much as you may need to convince a few NPC's (not to mention frightened passengers) and deal with an evolving crisis. This also has the most overt 'magick' in it. Two of the characters have magical talents they will need to use to get through this adventure. If characters misstep grievously, they will perish in this adventure. This does have a really cool plot to it though, one of the best of these three!

Characters:
- Fatima Yijifil, suspicious stewardess.
- Jack Chance, defeated warrior.
- Jeanette Pryce, concerned parent.
- Matt Winokur, a man with nothing to lose.

There is also a more... high stakes horror scenario I really like from the book, but it takes a bit more knowledge of the game (as it has some out and out real combat possibilities), and a bigger dedication to the spirit of the game. There is a good chance everyone would die by the end or be very horrified, so I'll save that for a potential later play through unless there is overwhelming interest.
Zyphora2012-10-02 11:06:03
I'm interested in playing.

I will feel so guilty if I end up accidentally killing everyone.
Enyalida2012-10-02 16:15:10
Great! Any preference for a scenario?
Zyphora2012-10-02 17:21:12
I'm open to any of them, but at the moment I'm partial to the first scenario because it seems the easiest to get into. I have limited experience with tabletop rp, but have done forum rp in the past and assume it is similar. >__>
Enyalida2012-10-02 19:28:17
Cool, noted!

Optimally looking for another 4 people or so to play with us!
Lilija2012-10-04 19:23:07
PbP, number three. My schedule is far too chaotic to try for skype times :(
Enyalida2012-10-04 22:45:10
Hehe, great! Like I said, I expect this to run a week to a week and half, no longer than two weeks at maximum, if we're posting slowly.

Are you alright with also playing the Jailbreak scenario? We need at least two more people for that one to run well.
Lilija2012-10-04 23:08:45
Oh, I'm okay with any of them. Number three just tickled my fancy is all.
Enyalida2012-10-04 23:30:15
Oh, I thought you meant that it was your third PbP you were engaged in! Duly noted, I like numbah three also, it's pretty cool. Either way, we need about 2 more folks!
Portius2012-10-05 01:06:53
Put me in as interested as well. I've done tabletop rpgs quite extensively, but never on a forum. I'm game for any of the scenarios.
Unknown2012-10-05 01:34:59
Suppose I might throw my name in the hat, somewhat prefer the third scenario but any will do based on other interests.

Not really familiar with unknown armies, but I've played/GM'd DnD/EP/DH games before so I figure I'll manage.
Enyalida2012-10-05 02:22:43
Cool, if we're doing the third scenario, we've got a full cast of four!

If anyone is interested, we can do the first scenario and have more people play, but for now it looks like we're good!

The four of you should pick a character from the third scenario list. If you are uncomfortable choosing or just don't care, I can always assign them, too!
Enyalida2012-10-05 02:42:48
I'll handle most of the nitty-gritty of actual rolling when the game gets started, but it's good to know the general idea.

- This is a percentile system. That means that you'll have a score in whatever (like a 55%), and you roll two d10s, one for the tens place, one for ones place. Optimally, you want the highest number that is still UNDER your score. Depending on what the check is for, and how tense the situation is, it can mean different things, but you're shooting for low.

-Notably, in a non-tense situation, you will almost always succeed at your roll. So sometimes failing a low percentage skill doesn't actually mean failure, don't worry!

-There is something called 'flip-flopping'. Under certain conditions you are allowed to switch the 10s and the 1s place dice after you roll. Say you roll a 54 and have a score of 50. If it's a skill you're allowed to flip-flop, you can switch that 54 into a 45!

I'm going to send you a little character handout, with all the relevant info on your character.
On your character sheets, you'll find the following things (I'm leaving out what should be obvious):

-An Obsession. This is what really motivates your character, what they are all about. You can always flip-flop one skill that's related to your obsession (your 'obsession skill'), which makes you DRAMATICALLY better at that skill.

-Three Passions. These are 'rage', 'fear', and 'noble'. When something happens that triggers one of your passions, you can flip-flop or reroll. Each trigger also works a little bit different. When it comes up for your character, I'll explain then!

-Stats and a little blurb about how it applies to your character. 50 is average. The one that might throw you for a loop is 'Soul'. This is similar to Charisma in many ways. It has a lot to do with charisma, but also with other ways of relating to people, and to magick. If you don't have a skill, you can still try to do something related using your stat directly. The rule of thumb is: just tell me what you want to do, and I'll tell you if you can or not!

-Skills, sorted by stat. The bold one is your 'obsession skill', that you can flipflop any time. Generally, these are super obvious, and if they are unique, there is a little blurb on how they work.

- Madness meter. This is how sanity is mechanically measured in this game. Any time something would happen that would make your character break down in some way (like Violence) can cause you to check against madness. If you succeed, you get a 'hardened notch', which makes you increasingly resistant against that kind of madness. So if you see lots of violence and don't crack, you become hardened against violence. If you fail you get 'failed notches', which make you flip out more subsequent times you fail to resist cracking of that type.

The real rule of thumb here will be to just do what seems appropriate for your character to do. Just tell me what you're trying to do and I'll handle most of the mechanics (unless you really want to do it yourself, of course). You just tell the story! In a combat situation where more rules knowledge would be an asset (not sure it'll come up), I will provide a few courses of action you can take.
Lilija2012-10-05 04:16:18
dibs on Jeanette!
Zyphora2012-10-05 04:30:08
I suppose I shall then be Fatima, the suspicious stewardess.
Unknown2012-10-05 07:09:21
I choose you, Matt
Enyalida2012-10-05 14:54:13
That leaves Jack for Portius. I'll be pm-ing you each your character sheets here in a minute! I'm also going to start a new thread for this, I think!
Enyalida2012-10-06 00:18:19
Everyone set, any questions about character sheets?
Zyphora2012-10-06 00:24:02
None from me! :)
Unknown2012-10-06 01:27:06
Don't think I've any