What's your phone?

by Stangmar

Back to The Real World.

Stangmar2012-09-09 01:21:57
I've been immersed in the world of mobile telecommunications lately, what with my recent switch from Verizon to Straight Talk in July, and upgrading from a basic phone to an Android.

Since I've done this, a lot of people I know have been coming to me to ask about ST and other mobile options, and my whole family has actually switched because of me.

Then of course there is the ongoing lawsuit between Apple and Samsung.

I don't think I've seen much discussion here about cell phones, so I'm curious to see what everybody is using and who they are with. If your phone/service isn't listed, select other and tell us anyway what you use.

I'm currently with Straight Talk's BYOP(Bring Your Own Phone) program. They offer either AT&T or T-Mobile compatible SIM cards. The card you get determines which network you piggyback on. I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S Captivate and ordered an AT&T compatible SIM card, so I get the same coverage as a AT&T postpaid subscriber. I enjoy the freedom of no contract, just purchase a $45 service card every month. I have unlimited Talk, Text, and Mobile Web(streaming is limited by the terms of service, but you can get away with 2 GB a month without much problem).
Zyphora2012-09-09 02:10:19
I use a Samsung Strive with AT&T.

(I would probably break any smartphone I got)
Daraius2012-09-09 02:16:21
Verizon iPhone, paid for by my boss. Previously, a Samsung Trill.
Unknown2012-09-09 10:51:58
I have an HTC Desire Z with the pop out keyboard. I got it off ebay a year ago for £160 and I love it. I'm still on T-mobile's £15 a month rolling contract that does unlimited internet.
Eventru2012-09-09 15:29:05
I use Sprint (I get a 20% discount through my employer) and have an iPhone 4s. Unlimited text and data (I use like 3 of my 450 minutes a month), 80 bucks a month. My service is great everywhere I've gone.

Unless the 5 (or 5s or whatever comes after) is really magnificent, I'm pretty tempted to switch my phone type when my upgrade comes around. Lately I've been really disenfranchised by Apple's corporate culture (for a very long time it was "We shamelessly steal good ideas!" and now it's "THEIR MOBILE BROWSER HAS A BOUNCE-BACK LIKE OURS - LAWSUUIIT!"), so I may be looking at some of the Google-based phones.

I'm one of those people who will pick a phone based on corporate culture. Go figure.
Unknown2012-09-09 16:08:10
Might be worth offering other options on the Poll. I am simply unable to vote as I obviously don't have a US carrier.

That aside, I have an LG Optimus these days. Unlimited data plan, unlimited calls/sms to my home network. 1000 minutes to UK mobiles, 500 sms to other networks and 100 international calls.
Stangmar2012-09-09 18:33:33
Eventru:

I use Sprint (I get a 20% discount through my employer) and have an iPhone 4s. Unlimited text and data (I use like 3 of my 450 minutes a month), 80 bucks a month. My service is great everywhere I've gone.

Unless the 5 (or 5s or whatever comes after) is really magnificent, I'm pretty tempted to switch my phone type when my upgrade comes around. Lately I've been really disenfranchised by Apple's corporate culture (for a very long time it was "We shamelessly steal good ideas!" and now it's "THEIR MOBILE BROWSER HAS A BOUNCE-BACK LIKE OURS - LAWSUUIIT!"), so I may be looking at some of the Google-based phones.

I'm one of those people who will pick a phone based on corporate culture. Go figure.

I agree with you 100%. My only apple product is an iPod. I don't care for iOS, and I definitely don't like Apple culture. Just read an article where Foxconn(the chinese manufacturer of the iPhone) went through the Chinese government to force students at a university to work in their factories and postpone school.
Draylor:

Might be worth offering other options on the Poll. I am simply unable to vote as I obviously don't have a US carrier.

That aside, I have an LG Optimus these days. Unlimited data plan, unlimited calls/sms to my home network. 1000 minutes to UK mobiles, 500 sms to other networks and 100 international calls.

Yeah, the options are limited on the poll just because there are so many carriers across the many countries that this forum spans.
Unknown2012-09-09 19:41:12
stangmar:

Yeah, the options are limited on the poll just because there are so many carriers across the many countries that this forum spans.

Maybe just add an option for "other" then? ;)
Unknown2012-09-09 19:46:59
I was just going to pass this poll up, since it look liked I had already answered it.... ^_^
Stangmar2012-09-09 20:11:20
Draylor:

Maybe just add an option for "other" then? ;)

There is an option for "other" ;)
Unknown2012-09-09 20:14:12
stangmar:

There is an option for "other" ;)

Good man. Thanks :)
Unknown2012-09-09 20:32:42
One of the free old school iphone 3gs' with at&t, $15/mo basic plan. It works just fine for me what with the OS being pretty much the same sans Siri, and I tend to 'upgrade' when the newest ones come out. So next would be the 4 when the 5 comes out, 4s when 5s etc comes out. I'm not the must have the shiniest, newest model type of girl :P
Acrune2012-09-10 03:20:50
AT&T go phone. I basically never use it, so I pay $25 every 3 months so it stays activated :P
Stangmar2012-09-10 20:09:29
GealbhanBheag:

One of the free old school iphone 3gs' with at&t, $15/mo basic plan. It works just fine for me what with the OS being pretty much the same sans Siri, and I tend to 'upgrade' when the newest ones come out. So next would be the 4 when the 5 comes out, 4s when 5s etc comes out. I'm not the must have the shiniest, newest model type of girl :P

That's how we are, although I wouldn't mind upgrading from a Galaxy S to an S3 if funds allowed.

When my dad made the jump this year, he bought a used first gen iPhone....which has been a frustration to both of us.
Stangmar2012-09-12 18:55:18
My reaction to the new iPhone:

Jack2012-09-12 19:32:30
I've got a Galaxy S3 on a £36/m contract. It's pretty sexy.
Unknown2012-09-13 03:37:10
I use an LG Cosmos through verizon. I have a miniscule calling and texting plan, simply for emergencies. I've never been comfortable with phones...and I'm extremely bothered by smartphone manufacturers and their evident disregard for privacy at even the most basic level. So unless it's required, I will likely be staying away from Iphones, Androids and whathaveyou in the way of smart phones.