Two Questions

by Barendur

Back to Common Grounds.

Barendur2012-09-08 18:35:42
I dont really like posting so im just going to shove two into one here.

First of all, why do i keep getting disconnected from Lusternia every so often? Lose all defenses, theres no warning, happens on every computer i get on. Timeout is set to 30. Really a big pain in the *** to re-def every thirty minutes.

Second is, ive been away for a while now because i moved and switched jobs/school/etc. and come back to....23k credits? Wow. When i first started playing, about a year after Lusternia came out, they were 4k per. After a few months that went to 6k and after a few years grew to 10k. How can people still buy at 23k+ per? 100k gold now gets you: 24 lessons? Just seems a little extreme to me. Though I might just be overthinking it.
Enyalida2012-09-08 19:52:22
1st: That sounds like a problem with your connection, not with Lusternia. Do you have periodic hang ups during web browsing or video watching? If so, that's probably that. I'd also try checking to make sure you don't have your timeout warning gagged or something, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

2nd: If you're looking for causes, it's a bit complicated. One of the causes is the iron membership. Instead of paying and recieving unbound credits, some of which will end up on the market, many players use the membership to gain cheaper credits every month. Those credits arrive bound, and so can't be put on the market. With less supply of credits to sell, the price per credit increases!

The second cause is massive gold inflation. There has been much said (both cautionary/before-the-fact and reparative/after-the-fact) as to the causes of the inflation and to how to fix it, but the short is this: The only limiting factor on gold generated in the system is time spent bashing to get that gold. The only real drain on gold in the system are aethermanses (Which many don't bother with on large scale), Curios, and various administerial charges, like the ones to set up a clan or cartel. Most of those are one time costs, which means that in the long run, they don't drain much gold from the system.

With more and more gold flooding the system, gold is worth less and less. Therefore, to buy something that was 6k gold, that hasn't changed in inherent value itself, it takes 23k gold now because each gold piece is worth much less.
Barendur2012-09-08 20:01:30
Enyalida:

1st: That sounds like a problem with your connection, not with Lusternia. Do you have periodic hang ups during web browsing or video watching? If so, that's probably that. I'd also try checking to make sure you don't have your timeout warning gagged or something, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

I dont get logged off of anything else, ive stayed online doing my classes for hours at a time. Played other games for hours, and never had the problem. And i know its not timeout, cause i was bashing the other day, and got kicked off. Luckily it was after i had killed the monster, but still, i wont be lucky all the time. Like i said timeout is set to 30 as well, and i am rarely afk, i code quiet a bit because im trying to transfter over a lot of old aliases/triggers and stuff to a newer comp but i am still testing the aliases/triggers in the game periodically so i know its not timeout.

Good point about iron membership, but to me, and according to you as well since many people dont bother with aetherships/manses which would be the largest gold drain. Credits are pretty much the major gold drains. One could even argue that the value of gold is based off the value of credits. So it just feels like we are de-valueing our own gold by raising credit prices. If everyone decided not to buy unless they were 10 or even 15k at most, then the market and inflation would cease. I know that will probably never happen, just saying, it would be nice.
Xenthos2012-09-08 20:02:57
Credits are not a "gold drain"-- they don't actually take the gold out of the system, they just move it around.
Veyrzhul2012-09-08 20:03:35
There was a massive price jump for credits with the appearance of curios in July. People just loved rubbing them into oblivion. Since you needed credits to buy the (first three) curio packages, credits suddenly became very valuable. Rubbing curios has become less profitable now, and as you can buy the latest series with gold, I'd expect credits prices to slowly go down again. They were at around 12k before.

The only limiting factor on gold generated in the system is time spent bashing to get that gold.

That has always been the case, though. It's a matter of how fast and easily you can get gold. With the changes to gold drops (mobs start out almost broke when spawning, but accrue gold with time, up to a point), maybe there are just too many bashing areas, so people always find semi-rich mobs. Or maybe it's Icewynd, where mobs always drop a fairly good amount, at least if you consider that you can just stand there and bash without even moving much.
Unknown2012-09-08 20:51:58
I get randomly disconnected and lose partial defenses, too, when my other connections are not dropped. I'm sure I'll never know why, but it happens.
Eventru2012-09-08 22:47:09
Should try running traceroutes to Lusternia when that starts to happen. See if it's hanging anywhere (the big problem used to be above.net, but I recall last time we started getting a lot of complaints about it they were being routed through Chi2 and it would hang there). Unfortunately, odds are there's nothing we can do about it - it has to do with how your provider routes stuff, and what's between you and the server in the great big interwebs. :( Sometimes these things get cleared up, sometimes not.

Weird you lose partial defenses, though. I'd be curious to see which you lose and which you keep.
Xenthos2012-09-08 22:59:42
Eventru:

Should try running traceroutes to Lusternia when that starts to happen. See if it's hanging anywhere (the big problem used to be above.net, but I recall last time we started getting a lot of complaints about it they were being routed through Chi2 and it would hang there). Unfortunately, odds are there's nothing we can do about it - it has to do with how your provider routes stuff, and what's between you and the server in the great big interwebs. :( Sometimes these things get cleared up, sometimes not.

Weird you lose partial defenses, though. I'd be curious to see which you lose and which you keep.

Reconnecting (without QQing) drops things like:
Nightkiss
Crowform
(Presumably Stagform and Drawdown)
All totem spirits

Things that are kept:
Mostly all non-power defenses. You keep Kafe, insomnia, stance / parry, a bunch of other things...
Neos2012-09-08 23:03:37
Xenthos:

Nightkiss
Crowform
All totem spirits

Things that are kept:
Mostly all non-power defenses. You keep Kafe, insomnia, stance / parry, a bunch of other things...

Hell, I've been losing my demesne on disconnects. :(
Eventru2012-09-08 23:04:39
Xenthos:

Nightkiss
Crowform
All totem spirits

Things that are kept:

That's pretty weird. They're all handled in mostly the same way, IIRC.
Xenthos2012-09-08 23:05:57
Eventru:

That's pretty weird. They're all handled in mostly the same way, IIRC.

It's extremely consistent though, I always lose exactly the same defs on a reconnect (I just don't have an exact list, but I always have to redo Crowform / totem spirits for example).

The bulk of my other defs just go "Oh you already have this, carry on!"
Barendur2012-09-09 05:51:40
Xenthos:

It's extremely consistent though, I always lose exactly the same defs on a reconnect (I just don't have an exact list, but I always have to redo Crowform / totem spirits for example).

The bulk of my other defs just go "Oh you already have this, carry on!"

Yeah its the same for me, surge and sacrament defs always go away. I forget the ones that stay for sure. I think breathe deep and regeneration always stay though. Couldnt there just be like a 5 minute grace period for defs after a disconnect? Would be extremely nice.
Ssaliss2012-09-09 18:19:57
I think Someone (might've been Iosai, but don't quote me on that) said some defs were player-specific, and some were connection-specific. So the connection-specific defs go away when you have to reconnect, and the player-specific ones don't.

As for the disconnects, I've had those too. I did a traceroute, but I can't remember exactly where they stopped, but it was like one or two hops before Lusty.