An Open Letter

by Seraphina

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Seraphina2012-07-22 07:46:52
For all who might have an interest,

Some of you know me as Seraphina. Others know me as Odette, Somaria, Larinae, and even Adala.

I am writing this as my final statement for every player, god, and whatever else might be out there that has helped in making this game so addictive, and so worth my time. It is with great regret that I have decided to finally shut the doors between myself and Lusternia, most completely. I'm not sure exactly how long it's been since Somaria's creation, but I know it's been a long time and I have absolutely treasured every single moment. Good and bad. Between great roleplay, to the less mainstream, to my achievements AND my mistakes. Some of you might be happy to see me go completely, and some of you might be less biased, but I will still most certainly leave with fond memories.

It was only recently that I had a semi-lengthy conversation about the game itself and about the people within, with the most unlikely of players. I have realized that this person is correct in their opinion that MUDs as a whole are beginning to fade. This is very upsetting on a personal level, having really loved the way these games work. The people here, are undoubtedly some of the best roleplayers I know, being slightly out of practice and having been away from actual roleplaying for a while now. Logging into Lusternia has always, always felt like a welcome home, specifically in Glomdoring.

This is probably cheesy... But I want to thank a few people for making this character, who was made for the sole purpose of being my last attempt at really playing again, so very difficult to put aside.

Tacita, who was an amazing mentor, really assisted me in getting back into the actual core of Lusternia. There was a lot I didn't remember about it and when I had questions, she was always there. No offense to anyone who came before her, but I think she is one of the best Commune Leaders I've encountered thus far, being proactive, easy to relate to and communicate with, and patient.

Eliron, who is.. well.. Eliron! He's held down his position because he's so good at it! He has an awesome character and whenever I had come back to try again, he was always either the one or the first one who knew who I was and how happy I was to be around and roleplay with him again.

Astraea, I never thought I would want to roleplay with her. I mean this seriously. I, as a player, was intimidated by the sort of roleplay I had seen from her and it didn't seem fun for me. I very nearly passed on roleplaying with her on Seraphina too. After getting to know her, and learning more about her roleplay and goals ICly *zips her lips*, I was both impressed and felt so very wrong. The Nightshade and where it's going with them is such an amazing trip and it really really saddens me that I've chosen not to take it with her.

Finally, Septim, who isn't really on the forums actively, but deserves at least some recognition. He proved to me that not every male, who isn't mostly in it for the combat, isn't going to go after you for the mudsex. Being engaged in real life now, my roleplay was very restricted by my personal choices and commitments. Even before he was apparently going to be Seraphina's brother, we were able to develop an amazing friendship, and being someone who's never roleplayed a serious family bond, it was a new experience for me to roleplay having a doting brother.

Within Glomdoring, I just hope these people know how heavy they made this decision. It's not the first time I've taken a break, but it's definitely different when it's so final.

It was one thing that was told to me today (or yesterday, really), that made my decision complete. When the player I had spoken with told me, "I think I'd rather be one of the people who leave, than one of the last people here watching it get more and more empty." I'm not sure if that's an exact quote, but it was along those lines. This wasn't really a reference to a dying game, though! I hope no one gives up on it and on trying to recruit other players etc. It was only in reference to the obligated feeling, which is sort of what kept bringing me back. How much of my life I had invested, how much time and energy and emotion that was placed here, that was where the draw was.

It's about 3:30AM where I am now. Maybe it's too late to be writing this and maybe I'm not making much sense.. but my main point is that I'm leaving, for good, due to real life reasons that I am both nervous and excited for. My wedding in October, buying a new house, etc etc.. I'm leaving both sadly and at peace knowing I gave it one last, earnest try. I hope those who I interacted with, know how hard I tried to make this work. I hope that Lusternia gets busier and busier and new players begin to flood the Basin. I hope, most, that everyone here has fun both here and in future endeavors.

Thank you so much, and while I may never speak to any of you again, I hope to meet more people like you. Real life or in some sort of game, I would be lucky to know a community on the same level. Please feel free to message me here or email me if you like, I'm still keeping in touch with a few players. =]

Amber Terrell
amber.c.terrell@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/amber.terrell.33
♥
Astraea2012-07-23 04:53:18
I'm sad to see you go! I had a lot of fun with Seraphina.