Words! And how they mean confusing things.

by Unknown

Back to The Funnies.

Unknown2012-07-19 07:16:11
So, I came across this yesterday via a friend's blog:

I NEVER KNEW THIS
I NEVER KNEW THAT WAS WHAT AMERICANS MEANT WHEN THEY SAID “QUITE”
WHY DIDN’T ANYBODY TELL ME
SUDDENLY THAT ONE SONG THAT GOES “HELLO I MISS YOU QUITE TERRIBLY” MAKES LIKE A MILLION TIMES MORE SENSE

And was wondering, are there any english words/sayings out there that you don't get/understand, from any corner of the globe, that you'd like cleared up?

For instance I've heard that 'trousers'=pants in Brit english,and pants are men's underwear. But I know pants to be... pants.
Lehki2012-07-19 12:37:24
I recall a confusing conversation I had with a Brit friend of mine, until she clarified that when she was saying pants, she meant her underwear, so I don't think it is just men's. <_<
Ardmore2012-07-20 19:42:11
This isn't completely related, but see: unthaw. You'd think to unthaw would mean to freeze. Nope. It's the same meaning as thaw - at least in North America.
Eritheyl2012-07-20 20:26:21
I had an argument with my boyfriend over something similar: unloosen.

Despite me waving my arms around and ranting until I'm blue in the face...it does, in fact, mean the same as loosen.

BUT WHY.
Unknown2012-07-20 22:50:30
Huh. I've never heard of unthaw or unloosen. I know of defrost, which thankfully makes sense.
Eritheyl2012-07-21 02:40:03
GealbhanBheag:

Huh. I've never heard of unthaw or unloosen.

It's probably because they're just ridiculous words that shouldn't be in -anyone's- vocabulary, especially with the mixed-up definitions! :P
Ardmore2012-07-21 02:50:40
:( It's how I was raised. My parents still say unthaw! Shut up! It's perfectly acceptable in North America! Scoff! -kick dirt at you-
Eritheyl2012-07-21 03:26:24
Ardmore:

:( It's how I was raised. My parents still say unthaw! Shut up! It's perfectly acceptable in North America! Scoff! -kick dirt at you-

I live in North America, and I don't think it acceptable at all! It's weeeeeird!

/leer
Unknown2012-07-21 06:04:30
i use the old meaning of Decimate. People look at me funny when I correct them when they use it around me.
Unknown2012-07-21 07:18:26
Kialkarkea:

i use the old meaning of Decimate. People look at me funny when I correct them when they use it around me.

That's called being a pedantic smartass, which is different.
Calixa2012-07-21 14:42:41
I've always used quite in the Brit meaning. This explains so much. I thought their happy responses were a sign off "hey it is not going totally bad so yay". Haha oops!
Stangmar2012-07-21 15:36:01
Kind of on a related note, when people say 'I could care less.'

So...you do care then?

The phrase you are looking for is 'I COULDN'T care less.'
Eritheyl2012-07-21 22:19:27
stangmar:

Kind of on a related note, when people say 'I could care less.'

So...you do care then?

The phrase you are looking for is 'I COULDN'T care less.'

YEP. Thank you ._.
Elenwe2012-07-22 07:09:40
You know, I have lived in Wales, England, a little while in Scotland, and the United States. Quite frankly, it is a miracle we EVER understand each other. It is amazing living on the British Isles. You literally just need to go into another city, and you know they are speaking English, you understand every word they say, but you do not have a flying fig what they are talking about.

Us English speakers are weird.
Daganev2012-07-25 05:50:40
In south Africa, "robot" can mean "street light" :) makes for fun miss communications.