I went to get this book from my bag...

by Caffrey

Back to The Real World.

Caffrey2012-05-14 22:07:15
...and I noticed it was dark outside. Very dark.

Too dark.

Only my house and one streetlamp has any power for about 1/2 mile.

I'm scared. :(

:P
Anyway, this isn't just a thread to show off my new purchase, this is to ask what other people are reading right now?

Apart from this, I am reading 'Prelude to Foundation' by Asimov and 'Schachnovelle' by Stefan Zweig.
Unknown2012-05-14 22:33:32
Recently finished 'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson, moving on to finishing 'Perdido Street Station' by China Mieville. Though may switch to some Dragonriders of Pern books I was sent if I feel like I'm slogging through Perdido in lieu of actually reading it.
Neos2012-05-14 22:37:04
The Inquisitor by Mark Allen Smith
Eventru2012-05-14 22:43:40
I've been going nuts lately for revisiting my literary roots, for some reason. I'm re-reading Joy Luck Club and The Woman Warrior - once they're done, I'll be delving into Alighieri's Divine Comedy and Plato's Republic. I've lined them all up on my Kindle app for my iPhone and I'm utterly thrilled about it, with no real reason to be so gleeful.
Unknown2012-05-14 22:45:23
I just recently reread The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and The Cat who Walks Through Walls by Robert Heinlein.

Also on book 4 of the Dresden files series, first read through. Quite liking it.
Shulamit2012-05-14 22:54:15
I was reading my oven manual! Because I don't want it to explode. Though seriously, that is a bit creepy, because I was reading an anthology of Lovecraft's recently.I liked the Colour out of Space.
Caffrey2012-05-14 23:00:06
Maellio:

Recently finished 'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson, moving on to finishing 'Perdido Street Station' by China Mieville. Though may switch to some Dragonriders of Pern books I was sent if I feel like I'm slogging through Perdido in lieu of actually reading it.

I have five Pern books but for some reason I never liked them enough to want to read more. It is so long ago now, I'm no longer sure why. :)

Eventru:

I've been going nuts lately for revisiting my literary roots, for some reason. I'm re-reading Joy Luck Club and The Woman Warrior - once they're done, I'll be delving into Alighieri's Divine Comedy and Plato's Republic. I've lined them all up on my Kindle app for my iPhone and I'm utterly thrilled about it, with no real reason to be so gleeful.

I have read The Last Days of Socrates which was great, but only half of the Republic. I keep meaning to get back to it. :(

I also cannot get on with digital books. I've tried. I invested in one of the early e-readers but didn't like it. Tried a kindle too, but it's not for me.

So I carry around my tablet PC plus a paper book. :)

Shulamit:

I was reading my oven manual! Because I don't want it to explode. Though seriously, that is a bit creepy, because I was reading an anthology of Lovecraft's recently.I liked the Colour out of Space.

I have read quite a few of his stories already and have two anthologies, but I couldn't resist buying the necronomicon :) Colour out of space was the farm one, right? I really liked The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and also The Thing on the Doorstep, but there are several others which are also great.
Shulamit2012-05-14 23:06:03
Colour Out of Space was the farm one, yes. Music of Erich Zann (misspelled, maybe) was also nice, given you don't actually see any of the monsters, it's just...insinuated.
Unknown2012-05-14 23:07:25
caffrey:

I have read quite a few of his stories already and have two anthologies, but I couldn't resist buying the necronomicon :) Colour out of space was the farm one, right? I really liked The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and also The Thing on the Doorstep, but there are several others which are also great.

As I glance up at my shelf of Lovecraft Anthologies I realize I've never read the Case of Charles Dexter Ward despite it probably being up there at least three times. Though as to favourites, At the Mountains of Madness will always have a place in my heart or heart analogue.

Edit: Okay then, apparently only one of them has Ward in it. Incidentally, while thematically appropriate one should avoid letting their books get a fine patina of dust ~cough~.
Ytran2012-05-14 23:19:23
I'm ostensibly reading the second book of the The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I say "ostensibly" because I read through the prologue like two months ago and haven't had time to read further owing to my time being eaten up by (walking to) work, classes (Udacity and Coursera are some of the most awesome things ever), and occasional socializing.
Unknown2012-05-15 00:30:24
I recently finished speed reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, and I'm getting ready to start the third book in the Hunger Games.

After that I think I'm going to go to something a bit weightier and read One Hundred Years of Solitude.
Eritheyl2012-05-15 08:17:18
If I ever get around to digging around my friend's house for them, I'll be toting my little (hopefully growing, someday?) collection of Dragonlance novels home and rereading them at random.
Stangmar2012-05-16 04:15:55
I'm about to start reading The Hunger Games.
Unknown2012-05-16 13:36:11
A Case of Exploding Mangoes

And The Duck in the Truck at least once a day.
Caffrey2012-05-16 13:48:12
eritheyl:

If I ever get around to digging around my friend's house for them, I'll be toting my little (hopefully growing, someday?) collection of Dragonlance novels home and rereading them at random.

I haven't bought any Dragonlance for a few years so I think my collection is still at 122.

stangmar:

I'm about to start reading The Hunger Games.

Not read the book, nor seen the film. Should I?

A Case of Exploding Mangoes

And The Duck in the Truck at least once a day.

A case of Expoding Mangoes sounds like a good read... and then I googled The Duck in the Truck, and it is obviously far superior. :)
Agnlaa2012-05-16 18:56:12
I have everything I have been able to get my hands on that Lovecraft has written. I just compared what I remember being in my collection (I'm not at home) to what Wikipedia lists in the fiction section of his bibliography, I'm only missing 7 of 65 pieces. My oldest volumes are "At the Mountains of Madness" and a short story collection, both 1960's paperbacks with that pulpy paper that gets rough and yellow after 50 years.

If I had the money (roughly $1700 last I checked) I would buy a 1939 copy of "The Outsider and Others".

Yes, I am a bit obsessed.
Diamondais2012-05-16 20:12:19
I have read so many books in the time since I've been home (less than a month!), everything from the Abhorson books, Dragonriders of Pern, Hunger Games (again), Tamora Pierce, and various other books I can't think of off the top of my head.

I admit that many of these books are pretty short and when you don't feel like using your computer for a couple weeks you read lots!
Stangmar2012-05-17 03:56:11
caffrey:

Not read the book, nor seen the film. Should I?

Couldn't tell you yet. Have neither read nor watched.
Diamondais2012-05-17 13:22:54
Read the books, they're nice. The film is optional, you might like it, you might not.
Zvoltz2012-05-24 04:32:24
I'm having a horrible time deciding what I actually want to read so I've been simultaneous reading: 2312, Orlind, the Gunslinger, Lies My Teacher Told Me, Dragonriders of Pern, and Poisoned.