Looking for Mudlet coder

by Aldani

Back to Last Chance Trading Post.

Aldani2012-04-26 02:46:51
As suggested by the title, I am interested in hiring someone for a bit of codework in Mudlet. In simple terms, I need something that will translate designs from the trade design list to pages in a tome. I have some specific desires about output format, but I don't know exactly what is possible, so that can be discussed once I have someone to work with!

I am absolutely fine with the completed script being made available to others once completed. Let me know if you're up for the project and what your price would be.
Unknown2012-04-26 02:57:32
If you could post with a sample of what you have currently and what you want it to look like, that would help immensely. :)
Aldani2012-04-26 03:14:52
The trouble is, I don't have anything currently. I was do this half-manually on Atlantis, but since I've switched over to Mudlet I haven't tried to replicate it and I figured I might as well go all the way and get someone else to do it much better than I could.

What I did have when I was doing it before was designs broken down by item type, one type per page. The entries looked something like:

a sturdy desk
A sturdy desk of chestnut sits here.
Elegant as well as efficient, the silken smooth wood has been
polished to show the beautiful grain. Sturdy wooden legs support the
weight, the feet carved to resemble flowers with vines leading up and
about the frame as adornment.
(#1158; no drawer; 246 wood, 24 iron)

Then I'd also have a list of just appearances on a separate page, such as:
Desks
-----
a sturdy desk
a wooden desk
a sturdy desk crafted from white wood
etc.

Of course, I'm willing to part with some of the details, like outdoors vs indoors, container or no, commodities, etc. My main desire is to have the list of designs of one type on a page, and the full description sets of one type on a page.
Lilia2012-04-26 05:45:52
I've fiddled around with how to capture the design details, and now I know exactly how I would go about coding this. The problem is, I have no idea how to use Mudlet to interact with the game editor. So I can gather the data for you, and format it into something you could put in a book, but actually writing it... no clue. On the plus side, I was able to add more functionality to my 'make design stuff easier' triggers! I'll see what I can find out about using the editor in any case.
Aldani2012-04-26 18:07:43
Yeah, since there's no way to disable the editor window, I guess just having it print to a text file that I can copy from will suffice. Perhaps having a file directory with a text file for each page of the tome, if possible, just to make things simpler on my end for organisation? If we do get into using the file system, I feel it is important to mention that I'm on a Mac.
Lilia2012-04-26 18:10:00
Perfect, me too!
Unknown2012-04-26 18:31:31
Matters none, really. Just use Lua's LFS/IO Library.