Ars Magica RPG

by Enyalida

Back to The Real World.

Enyalida2012-03-15 17:24:34
I’m looking for players to participate in the Lusternia Forums Ars Magica game I’m going to be Storytelling soon. This game provides an extremely high degree of customizable low fantasy roleplaying, that lends itself extremly well to a post-to-play style of gaming.

Ars Magica:
-Is set in Mythic Europe. This is a low fantasy version of Europe, circa 1200. All of the things people believed about the supernatural are in some fashion true.

-Is based around playing a Mage of the Order of Hermes, a continent spanning organization of Hermetic Mages.

-Has a strong magic system based around manipulating the 10 elements (the Forms) using 5 different basic transformations (the Techniques) that allows for easy custom spellcrafting.

-Has a very open ended system for generating character plot lines and metaplots.

-Offers an opportunity for every player to act as the storyteller (the GM) if they so wish it through ‘Troupe’ storytelling.

In specific my game will have:
-Go-at-your-own-pace downtime activities. When not participating in an active adventure, you will be free to interact and roleplay as you wish.

-An epic over/metaplot, involving primal forces and ancient magics.

-Plenty of access to vis (a resource similar to aetheric power) as appropriate, to help facilitate powerful characters.

-Hooks and opportunities to develop character motivations and sideplots.

-All appropriate materials provided or generated, with condensed primers to quickly index things your character can do and should know.

-Plenty of help understanding and handling the rules. I am fully willing to walk anyone through character concept formation and character generation, and will be handling a lot of the rules for laboratory work, at least until you feel comfortable doing some of it! I don’t want there to be any barrier to playing if you really want to participate!

If any of that sounds interesting, send me a PM or post to this thread with your interest. I’m only looking for 4-5 people, but I’m hoping I can drum up at least that many people! I’ve got more in-depth information about the setting and how the system runs if you’re curious, just drop me a PM and I’ll talk with you.
Enyalida2012-03-15 21:59:34
Anyone else? Fool was the guy who was trying to convince me to do this, so he jumped right on it!

If you know someone who might be interested but who isn't a forum-goer, send them my way, or send them this link:
https://docs.google....eMtyeyepbE/edit

Yes, I'm planning on using tweaks to the game designed to make characters progress a bit faster, and start out at a higher power level.
Lehki2012-03-16 13:54:41
Not sure if I want to get in on it, been kind of filling my plate up with a lot of different things lately, but it sounds interesting.
Unknown2012-03-16 13:59:07
I wouldn't worry about it, you can generally plan out Ars Magica well in advance, given the nature of the game, and even assuming that Enya wants to run the game at 2 seasons per week, that's only 2 status reports per week, unless you want to do something special.
ComposMentis2012-05-01 16:16:36
I'd be very interested in this, if there are still places available? I have an AM4 rulebook at home somewhere....
Enyalida2012-05-01 18:01:26
There still are! Problem is that soon after deciding to try to do this, and writing these posts... I got a seasonal job that will take up a huge amount of my time for the next three months. I'll still be able to log on every day to do things like read/write newsposts an deal with things like envoy comments, but if I was running this Ars Magica game, it'd be running really slowly.

However, I DO plan to eventually do this, and have planned out a lot more of the setting than I had when originally posting here. If we rustle up about one or two more players (we have three at this point) who are alright with being on hold until I figure things out, we can totally move forward with character creation and possibly start during this month!

I had stopped part way through finishing some of the background work I was writing (and two teasers), but can probably finish them today as I know how I want them to end now!
ComposMentis2012-05-02 08:57:05
Sounds fine to me.

I have a job and family, so my time is similarly rationed. But I can manage to log in every day(-ish) and post three or four times a week.

I am fine if the game runs slowly, to be honest.
Unknown2012-05-05 19:13:15
Actually, we would be playing AM5... I have an e-copy of the rulebook if you need it.
ComposMentis2012-05-10 15:57:36
Checking my library, it is AM5 that I have - not looked at the book in years, to be honest.