Eclipses

by Riluna

Back to Ideas.

Riluna2012-01-28 23:04:29
I think there's some potential to the idea, and I'd like to explore it a little more deeply. It's already been stated that physical eclipses within the astronomy of Lusternia are unlikely, but it's not just a physical world we live in. Think of ancient mythos and superstition regarding eclipses, both solar and lunar, on Earth. Some Native American tribes believed that a wolf was eating the moon during such times, for example. What if Night summoned a murder of Dark Crows to devour Moon?

There are many RP and mechanical results that could potentially be seen with this. Say Glomdoring gets frustrated with mean old aggressive Serenwilde's murdurous rampages through EtherGlom, or whatever. A series of quests that take a certain amount of abused, frustrated Wyrdlings could perhaps unleash Mother Night's wrath upon Moon. To some minor, or perhaps major (and temporary!) effect. Maybe, during the Full Moon of the Eclipse, the Nekotai get bonuses to their Stealth, making it slightly easier to slip undetected through the Serenwilde. Or perhaps (with at least two orgs involved, one of which is the opposing one) for the duration of the Full Moon, the Serenwilde's unchecked aggression is checked, nullifying their ability to raid Glomdoring for half a day or so.

More than just the nature communes, and their Great Spirits, could be used for this. Gaudiguch might find difficulty lighting a match, or Hallifax suffers another malfunction during time travel. If it takes more than one org to achieve these results, it could encourage more inter-organization interaction.

Or maybe these are foolish, unworkable ideas. I'd like to hear more speculation on the topic, at the very least.
Enyalida2012-01-28 23:43:38
Keep in mind, it'd have to be matched by an equivalent quest for Serenwilde! (And hee, 'Serenwilde's Aggression' and 'raiding EtherGlom')
Xenthos2012-01-29 00:07:46
Hey, there was a raid on Ethereal Glomdoring just two days past!

Edit: Admittedly, they did not stay long.
Rancoura2012-01-29 01:44:53
I think having some kind of org event/repeatable quest in Glomdoring and Serenwilde that would cause the other's Great Spirit to be dulled for a night or so (via evoking eclipses or a Moon-bathed sky or something similar) would be neat.

One org would do a series of (difficult) tasks, with the end reward being that org having a kind of increased power over the other (even if this increase was limited to those with the respective skills, i.e. Night-users & Nightwraiths & Moon-users & Moonchildes) for a limited amount of time, or until the other org reversed the effect by doing their own (difficult) tasks. This could all happen vice-versa as well.

It would certainly revive some nice old Seren-Glom opposition without the interference of other orgs (i.e. alliances with other orgs not having an effect on the event/quest).

*Edited for equality.
Eritheyl2012-01-29 01:48:42

It would certainly revive some nice old Seren & Glom opposition without the interference of other orgs (i.e. alliances with other orgs not having an effect on the event/quest).

I would love to see this, even as a spectator :D
Svorai2012-01-29 08:23:15
Solar eclipses smack of Serenwilde+Glomdoring unity. Blotting out the day with the Moon, extending Night for a few hours. An occurance like that could be as powerful as Astrology's syzygy for Night-users/Moon-users.
Raeri2012-01-29 08:51:08
Svorai:

Solar eclipses smack of Serenwilde+Glomdoring unity. Blotting out the day with the Moon, extending Night for a few hours. An occurance like that could be as powerful as Astrology's syzygy for Night-users/Moon-users.

I had a tenative report up for a Moondance Eclipse skill at one point which nothing really came out of (Moonies still are missing a full coven skill!). An interaction with Longnight would have been fun - perhaps a quest would be more simple...?

I do think a co-op thing between Moon/Night would be very very cool rather than another Seren vs Glom conflict quest. One where both sides would benefit from doing it (I'm thinking affecting everyone with moonchilde/nightwraith auras). But I suppose I may be in the minority for wanting Seren/Glom working together more :(
Unknown2012-01-29 10:00:49
Rah rah rah I hate Serenwilde burn Moon kill Hart.

Maybe if Moon got a full coven ability (with the requirements being 13 coven members, 10p, shine + darkmoon in the room since Moon doesn't have a shadows equivalent) that would lay down a Drink-equivalent to the local area where the ability (let's call it LunarHug) for the duration of the day/hour. This would give all Moon users a health/mana regen on the local area, plus passive affliction curing.

Then, both LunarHug and LongNight would get something like MOONDANCE LUNARHUG ECLIPSE and SHADOWDANCE LONGNIGHT ECLIPSE. It would need all the requirements for LunarHug and Longnight (so, minimum of 26 people in all!). The covens would have to be in the same area, and enact the ritual near-simultaneously (like how creating rifts need both people to send in the command). The effect of Eclipse would be what LongNight used to do - completely block out abilities that use power. LunarHug and LongNight can stack (so that they can be used in a Glom vs Seren situation), but if Eclipse is cast, LunarHug and LongNight are removed from the area.

This might be all too OP, I don't know. But whatever, I want Eclipse just as much as the next wiccan.
Saran2012-01-29 11:09:57
Yeah... this seems like it is headed straight towards conflict quests.

Just with this, Serenwilde would be under constant pressure to ensure that the eclipse doesn't happen. Even if no one is trying to do it one day, there would still be that need to ensure that it can't happen and it seems that it would quickly move from the "hey this is cool rp" and straight into "why would they do this to us?!". Even more so if there is an actual mechanical punishment for not following doing so.

If anything like this was introduced it would need to be heavily restricted. Perhaps some celestial alignment of sun and moon, though that would probably be about... 2.5 hours every six days which still may be too often.
Raeri2012-01-29 12:29:08
I still tend to think an Eclipse would be Moon+Night vs Sun. Or something along those lines. (The Moon's needed for an eclipse, after all, right?)
Lendren2012-01-29 12:56:02
I think an eclipse would be better used for a once-in-a-lifetime event-type appearance than something that happens regularly or could be made to happen.
Saran2012-01-29 15:50:57
Lendren:

I think an eclipse would be better used for a once-in-a-lifetime event-type appearance than something that happens regularly or could be made to happen.

spider syzygy?
Riluna2012-01-29 20:39:35
Saran:

Yeah... this seems like it is headed straight towards conflict quests.

Just with this, Serenwilde would be under constant pressure to ensure that the eclipse doesn't happen. Even if no one is trying to do it one day, there would still be that need to ensure that it can't happen and it seems that it would quickly move from the "hey this is cool rp" and straight into "why would they do this to us?!". Even more so if there is an actual mechanical punishment for not following doing so.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, considering that we'd ostensibly have our own counter-quest that does precisely the same thing.

If anything like this was introduced it would need to be heavily restricted. Perhaps some celestial alignment of sun and moon, though that would probably be about... 2.5 hours every six days which still may be too often.

A restriction, sure. Eclipses are relatively rare things, part of what makes them special. Something like a year, or a year and a half for a full solar eclipse, I think? So what if it were only possible to invoke at each other once every 2 or 3 IG years or something, would that be more reasonable?

@Alacardael - While I like the idea of a dual skill like that, I'm not real convinced we'd ever see it used, especially with numbers like that required.
Unknown2012-01-29 23:59:17
If you want to tie it to some alignment of Sun and Moon, you're out of luck. The Sun-Moon cycle repeats every IC year exactly. What could work, however, is a requirement that the Moon be A] in alignment with the Sun and B] in a certain phase. Assuming that you want a New moon for Night and a Full moon for Moon, that restricts the correct conditions to occuring once every 9 years or so.
Rika2012-01-30 00:01:00
Yeah, no thanks to more conflict quests. Proven to never be fun for all parties.
Riluna2012-01-30 00:19:19
Ok, so what I'm hearing of the consensus so far is that if it were some sort of quest as described, Glomdoring would enjoy it, but Serenwilde feels like "we'd just lose, so why bother?" Is that basically it?

So if not a quest, then, there's still a lot of potential powerful Great Spirit interactions here. What would you like to see from such a thing?
Saran2012-01-30 00:25:50
Riluna:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, considering that we'd ostensibly have our own counter-quest that does precisely the same thing.

A restriction, sure. Eclipses are relatively rare things, part of what makes them special. Something like a year, or a year and a half for a full solar eclipse, I think? So what if it were only possible to invoke at each other once every 2 or 3 IG years or something, would that be more reasonable?

I understand the intention to have it work for both sides, I still do not like it. If we say that the quest can only be done during the sun/moon alignment (Maybe eroee depending on how often it aligns or the phase if it's 9 ig years). Taking five hours of solid questing to enact, even if it is not "Glomdorings turn" they will be out in force trying to stop it from happening because if they do not then they are mechanically punished. Same for Serenwilde, if we do not do this then we get punished.

If it is something that involves a quest to be undone, then it is even worse and I am hoping this was not part of the suggestion.

I do feel that there should be the ability for each org to attack any other org using the avatars/supernals/demon lords/spheres/pots. But this seems to be setting up something
Riluna2012-01-30 02:21:29
That's fair enough, but it wouldn't even have to be a quest. I imagine an eclipse, having never happened before, could cause a little instability in the already confused Maeve. Would that sort of thing be interesting?
Lendren2012-01-30 02:55:29
Just what Maeve needs: instability. :)
Xenthos2012-01-30 03:14:43
Lendren:

Just what Maeve needs: instability. :)

Eh, I don't know. It's not like we'd even notice should she become more unstable.

We're all used to her being nutty anyways. She even has actual magical memory dust.

I feel like she abuses the stuff when Rhianna and Jaryn aren't in need of it.