FutureTech

by Ushaara

Back to Ideas.

Ushaara2012-01-15 03:25:14
After my attempted report at getting a ChaosAura counterpart for Sentinels was rejected (boo! hiss! :( ), I got to playing around with other ideas, the result of which is below, for armour at least.

There is a difficulty in making something thematically appropriate, that is viable for Sentinels without throwing out balance for Researchers, and without cloning another ability which I've been advised to try avoid. So while this did start out as 'ChaosAura' counterpart, ie. building for a Timequake; after talking with the few other Sentinels about ( so lonely! ), I think we're all on board with Timequake being a group thing, and this was something we liked.

Anyway, my idea would be a new trans Aeonics ability above Paradox, FutureTech, that allows imbuing your armour/weapons with charged crystals (like bards) for extra effect. Am thinking Sentinels could get an armour and weapon effect, Researchers just an armour effect imbued on their shield say?

Just wondering if I'd be wasting my time and another report slot if I were to submit something like this, before going on to fleshing out weapon buffs?

DRAFT REPORT:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Future Tech:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The glimpses into the future provided through the Matrix Research Institute's aeonic studies have allowed Hallifax to focus and develop its technological research at a pace unrivaled by the rest of the Basin. This superior technological know-how was soon militarized by the Sentinel Company of Temporal Anomalies who learned to utilize the harmonic charged gems of Continuum to enhance their weapons and armour with great effect.

With this knowledge of future technology, for 10 power and # charged gems you can imbue your shield or armour for one of the following effects.

Members of the Sentinel Company may also imbue their weapons with # charged crystals for added benefit.

CRYSTAL ARMOUR
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

RESONANT ARMOUR - In response to elemental and psionic skirmishes with Gaudiguch, research was focused into the resonant frequencies of various charged gems, resulting in the creation of armour tuned to absorb specific energies, lessening the damage you take.

Jade Armour: +5 Magic DMP
Amethyst Armour: +5 Psychic DMP
Turquoise Armour: +5 Elemental DMP

TEMPORAL PEACEKEEPER - Witnessing the Holy Celestine Empire's effective subjugation of Gaudiguch through the use of a pacification cloud during Operation Cloudspout, Hallifaxian scientists were prompted to develop their own means of mass pacification. It was found that charged opal when struck, vibrated at such a soothing frequency.

Opal Armour: Those who harm you may find themselves pacified.

LUCIDIAN SKIN - Focused biological and solar studies of lucidian cells in the Institute's Laboratory of the Natural Sciences and Higher Energies resulted in the creation of a membrane mimicking the regenerative abilities of the lucidian race.

Emerald Armour: Level 1 health/mana regeneration, outdoor daytime only.

ADAMANTINE ARMOUR - The first enhanced armour to be developed by the Sentinel Company, the strong natural crystalline structure of diamonds when imbued in armour resulted in armour as impenetrable as adamantine.

Diamond Armour: +5/5 armor stats.

WEAPONCHARGE
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

< Weapon fluff goes here.>

But as a quick reference, for effects I was thinking:

Onyx: 5 DMP damage buff, Bloodstone: bleeding buff, Beryl: % electric damage, Ruby: % timewarp (lower than chaosaura rate), Sapphire: % cold damage, Garnet: ?
Ytran2012-01-15 03:37:06
I'm not really able to comment on the combat specifics, but I like the flavour of the idea a lot, and it fits very nicely with Hallifax.
Unknown2012-01-15 06:47:03
Seems kind of like you'll be cribbing the Institute's style, seeing as Crystals are in Harmonics instead of Aeonics. It's a cool idea though.

Opal Armor sounds like it'd be OP though.
Ytran2012-01-15 08:02:21
Kialkarkea:

seeing as Crystals are in Harmonics instead of Aeonics.

This is the only thing that's kind of iffy about it; it doesn't really fit as an Aeonics ability. I don't think it's really gypping the Institute, though; the proposed stuff would allow the Institute to still use a subset of the effects, and there's new precedent for charged gems being used in other Hallifax guilds now.
Ushaara2012-01-15 11:10:38
Kialkarkea:

Seems kind of like you'll be cribbing the Institute's style, seeing as Crystals are in Harmonics instead of Aeonics. It's a cool idea though.

Opal Armor sounds like it'd be OP though.

Effect is already about, with the Chuuti effect Harmony monks can have as one of their three mantras.

Ytran:

This is the only thing that's kind of iffy about it; it doesn't really fit as an Aeonics ability. I don't think it's really gypping the Institute, though; the proposed stuff would allow the Institute to still use a subset of the effects, and there's new precedent for charged gems being used in other Hallifax guilds now.

My attempt at fluff still not enough to justify for Aeonics? :(
Okin2012-01-15 12:10:40
I think the problem is that the "Aeonics" flavour part - the fact that we're looking into the future to work out how to do this - is overshadowed by the "Harmonics" flavour part - we're attaching crystals to stuff! I like the idea, though. Maybe you could change it so, instead of using crystals, the effects are given by other random future-sounding technologies?
Llandros2012-01-15 16:55:07
Widgets!

Have them be something your guild tutor sells or that you can make from comms.
Unknown2012-01-15 17:36:22
The concept of appropriating technology from the future is fantastic. It really ties in with the whole ethical and existential conundrum of time travel. If I decide today that I'm going to dedicate my life to building a time machine...

Crystal armour seems like an uninteresting way to execute it though. It confuses the themes of the Sentinels with Harmonics. Just change all the names to things like, CrysTech Alloy, Resonance Tempering, EtherBond Matter Fusion.
Lendren2012-01-15 18:07:36
If something like this happens, it's vital that some part of it involve the word Cyberdyne.
Ushaara2012-01-15 18:42:00
Hrm, if we're moving away from powerup gems, since that seems to be the stickler; we could maybe get our own channel of temporal energy flowing through Sentinel guildhall like the Institute have, that we bathe the weapons/armour in? So a bit less freedom to easily switch effects, but more on par with Researchers getting their weapons? Something along the lines of:

PUT PLATE IN CHANNEL
TIMECHANT ARMOUR RESONANCE

Bathing your plate in a stream of temporal energy, < nifty effect message >. As the flow of energy subsides, you discern your plate has gained < nifty result message >.

Originally went with crystal armour to have some consistency with the crystal plated denizens we have wandering about. The gems also provide some justification for the various effects, though this way might give more leeway for how armour/weapons gain effects.
Ytran2012-01-15 19:03:09
Ushaara:

My attempt at fluff still not enough to justify for Aeonics? :(

I actually, uh, missed that bit completely and ended up just OM NOM NOM CRYSTALS.

>.>