The Icewynd Cometh!

by Estarra

Back to Common Grounds.

Estarra2012-01-01 00:32:58
Hope everyone is enjoying the event and the new (HUGE) area that has opened up! It was an enormous undertaking and I wasn't sure we'd be able to release it in time (was actually thinking it would be released last week), but anyway, it is here with a vengeance!
Diamondais2012-01-01 00:38:09
High level area?
Unknown2012-01-01 00:39:03
Thanks for releasing it Estarra!

I was wondering what was up--I had thought this would have been released sooner this month, so I was getting kind of worried. I suspected things were a little late because of the complexity involved. From what I saw, it was pretty interesting. Beware the Ice Diggers!

Sorry for pushing the teleport button without the others...
Mirami2012-01-01 01:17:37
I like what I've seen, so far, save for one thing:

Is there a 'normal' entrance to the Icewynd? Unless there's a way to get there (hire-a-ship, dedicated teleporter, elevator, mineshaft, etc) that doesn't require getting lucky with the Observatory's teleporter, I don't think people are going to keep coming back.
Estarra2012-01-01 01:43:15
So far, that's the teleporter is the only way. Same thing with Mount Dio! It's meant to be very high level and it should be hard to get to.

The idea of an aetherport is interesting... I'll think on it!
Eventru2012-01-01 01:47:14
Just for the record, Icewynd and Mount Dio have a 33% chance (each) of being selected (when charged correctly). The remaining 33% is random locations.

Players also wasted no time in opening a rift, I noticed!
Unknown2012-01-01 01:53:37
Keep in mind there are ways the players themselves can keep coming back--teleporting (to people, not nexii), gateweaving, pyramid puzzles, etc. I already saw a few transplanar rifts.

And the long term plot hasn't climaxed yet--hmm...Marani Veloske left the Basin, so did Frost Spite...hmm...where are the Forsaken and the Ice Devils and Ice Angels now...hmm...where's the tower...

And I am really curious about the Needle...
Estarra2012-01-01 01:59:32
Surely you've found the tower by now! It's in the iceburn plains! (Remember the vision in a prior event post?)
Kiradawea2012-01-01 02:04:51
diamondais:

High level area?

I saw rooms with 10 icediggers and an ice-digger queen. I can't survive that, so yeah, high level.
Unknown2012-01-01 02:15:26
Estarra:

Surely you've found the tower by now! It's in the iceburn plains! (Remember the vision in a prior event post?)

Yeah, it's frustratingly door-free. No wonder the ice devils are so angsty. They can build houses, but haven't mastered putting a hole in the side so they can get in them.

Kiradawea:

I saw rooms with 10 icediggers and an ice-digger queen. I can't survive that, so yeah, high level.

Hooooo!
Kiradawea2012-01-01 02:16:48
Rainydays:

Hooooo!

Say, are you hiring out yourself as a bodyguard? :halo:
Unknown2012-01-01 02:28:49
Estarra:

That's why I mentioned it.

But I think you forget whom I'm playing...walking in the plains and getting digger-grabbed means death in about .125 seconds. At least in the blasted lands I have enough time to serpent and then teleport away...

...and I was just trying to say I'm sure there's more to come...
Kiradawea2012-01-01 02:39:04
Good lord this place has the annoyance crank turned up to 11.
Lilia2012-01-01 04:26:51
Good things: As an Aeromancer, I don't get blown around in the maelstrom.
Bad things: As an Aeromancer, the mantas resist all of my damage types. A x32 crit isn't enough to get them in one hit. :(
Eritheyl2012-01-01 04:28:16
This cloudberry nonsense is driving me crazy, but everything is sooo nice.
Unknown2012-01-01 04:35:04
Tribal trill groups?

Where's Everiine? He should be here for this!
Unknown2012-01-01 05:49:33
Totally... though what just happened now.. bust. :( Died, missed the ending if there was one since it wasn't a very clean ending*... anticlimactic. It just feels like.. now what?

*I won't name names.. but that was low..
Rika2012-01-01 06:09:14
I'd be very, very surprised if this isn't just the beginning.
Unknown2012-01-01 06:59:42
Definitely not over yet.

Also, cloudberries? Now I'm curious!
Unknown2012-01-01 07:59:20
The new area is amazing. Really incredible. Never seen anything quite like it.

The "lets fight a sea of splitting mobs in choke" thing is hair-pulling, as was getting stuck down there when I had to go to bed. So I'm sorry for getting really snarky there, for the people who had to hear that.

But saying "I need to rest" followed by "ok, just teleport to this person for me real quick" followed by that person being deep in an area covered in perma choke and surrounded my mobs that chill/freeze, where ascend doesn't work...

Was not a happy camper. I mixed fought and mantra-winded my way out.

But the area itself? Awesome. Really awesome. I can't imagine how much work went in to that.