Gnome Changes

by Xenthos

Back to Common Grounds.

Xenthos2011-12-22 17:55:20
I am really pleased with the changes to gnomes (only being able to influence 1 per day, and lowered rate of 'awesome drops').

An unfortunate part of the gnome experience has been that due to the absurdly high chance of artifact acquisition, massive gnome trawling operations were put into effect by the more fortunate and, especially, competitive amongst the players (yes, including myself!). This leads to gnomes feeling more like an obligation (order your life around trying to maximize gnome catching) vs. what they really should be-- a nice little addition throughout the holiday season that leaves you feeling happy to be around and a part of it. If you miss it, though... it's not a big deal. Everyone else gets a gnome to play with. The competitive urge has been excised.

So, thank you for this! :) And happy holidays.
Lawliet2011-12-22 18:13:10
I agree, though I see from the market channel that it's going to take a while for that to sink in for some people, myself included. My mind is still in the "zomg gnomes grab them." mode, will probably take a few more gnomes just giving comms before my mind is settled and everything calms down.
Eventru2011-12-22 18:43:16
The rate wasn't lowered, so much as a bug that was causing almost exclusively 'awesome' drops was fixed.

Yeah, I just checked with Iosai. The rate of artifacts should be identical to previous years (there was a change during the summer that inadvertently miseffected the gift rate for the positive the first three or so rounds this year).
Kayaldiyah2011-12-22 19:28:35
I just hope I'm able to find a gnome. This is going to by my first gnome experience, but so far I seem to be missing all the drops. Guess I don't play during the right time. :(
Lawliet2011-12-22 19:29:58
Huh, that means I've been getting some really sucky drops then :P

Still, can't complain, the one I got two zimoru from I didn't even notice, accidently hit enter and started influencing it, was just about to wander off :P
Fayneix2011-12-22 21:03:12
Kayaldiyah:

I just hope I'm able to find a gnome. This is going to by my first gnome experience, but so far I seem to be missing all the drops. Guess I don't play during the right time. :(

Not my first time seeing Ironbeard and everyone, but I'm having problems finding the gnomes/Ironbeard himself!
Unknown2011-12-22 21:14:52
Worst change ever. Ragequit Lusternia.
Everiine2011-12-22 22:48:36
Fine, and take your unicorn-loving rhino with you, Scroojiro!
Unknown2011-12-23 01:07:04
I'd have made it four hours myself. And quintupled the amount of gnomes on the streets. It'd be like a scratch off card instead of a scavenger hunt. :P
Siam2011-12-23 10:40:12
Want. My. Gnome. IRL.
Kagato2011-12-24 03:40:35
I think my main gripe is the fact that I have seen on and off demis advertising offering credits for gnome locations, which to be honest in my opinion goes against the spirit of the event, it is meant to be a fair opportunity for all - having people offering credits for the first chance at a gnome puts newer arrivals to the basin off even trying, I've had a couple of people say to me "Why should I even bother when the high end players can simply buy the locations and get all the good rewards" - I've been telling them that if they don't TRY, then their chances of finding one drops to zero, but I can understand to a limited extent where they are coming from, it would be kinda discouraging for those who have just arrived in the basin to see people who to their vision are probably rolling in credits (though chances are they may not be =p) willing to throw credits at a chance of an artifact.
Xenthos2011-12-24 03:45:45
Kagato:

I think my main gripe is the fact that I have seen on and off demis advertising offering credits for gnome locations, which to be honest in my opinion goes against the spirit of the event, it is meant to be a fair opportunity for all - having people offering credits for the first chance at a gnome puts newer arrivals to the basin off even trying, I've had a couple of people say to me "Why should I even bother when the high end players can simply buy the locations and get all the good rewards" - I've been telling them that if they don't TRY, then their chances of finding one drops to zero, but I can understand to a limited extent where they are coming from, it would be kinda discouraging for those who have just arrived in the basin to see people who to their vision are probably rolling in credits (though chances are they may not be =p) willing to throw credits at a chance of an artifact.

I can say that the extra gnome I found did not go to someone advertising credits for it, but to a member of my org (who had been looking).
Kagato2011-12-24 03:47:32
Xenthos:

I can say that the extra gnome I found did not go to someone advertising credits for it, but to a member of my org (who had been looking).

Which is definitely encouraging to see, I've seen both sides of the fence, I think the thing that caused some of the complaints I have heard from younglings is they may not have seen people offering locations to fellow city/commune members.
Enyalida2011-12-24 03:58:55
I give any extra that I find to my family, but I stop looking after one now anyways.