Petition to reverse old.lusternia.com data

by Unknown

Back to The Polling Place.

Unknown2011-12-07 07:49:43
So. Everybody and their dog used to use the site to check a more accurate who list.

That is no longer possible.

What are your views on this?
Arix2011-12-07 07:53:31
It didn't need to be changed.
Ssaliss2011-12-07 08:17:28
I'm guessing what changed was that cloaked people no longer show up on the WHO-list there, just like in-game? If so, it's a perfectly reasonable change. that is what they paid for, after all.
Unknown2011-12-07 08:23:57
Ssaliss:

I'm guessing what changed was that cloaked people no longer show up on the WHO-list there, just like in-game? If so, it's a perfectly reasonable change. that is what they paid for, after all.

I personally think that is only part of the reason. After all, what is to stop somebody simply sending a tell to ascertain whether a person is online or not?

So far as I was always aware, having a gem was more to counter thirdeye.

Don't get me wrong. I like the gem. I just think this move was unneeded.

I guess the issue lies more with removing off-plane players from the list.
Lilia2011-12-07 08:25:40
I don't have a gem myself, but I never understood why a way to bypass it existed. Just about every ability or artifact that involves scrying has a big disclaimer saying it doesn't penetrate a cloaking gem. Why should the website be any different?
Unknown2011-12-07 08:29:53
Lilia:

I don't have a gem myself, but I never understood why a way to bypass it existed. Just about every ability or artifact that involves scrying has a big disclaimer saying it doesn't penetrate a cloaking gem. Why should the website be any different?

Again, I can totally understand this, but all the site did was confirm whether a person was online or not. There was never any location based data available. (Scrying point.)

The data has been on there for as long as most of us care to remember. Why remove it now?
Ssaliss2011-12-07 08:31:01
Draylor:

I guess the issue lies more with removing off-plane players from the list.

Off-plane people still show, I think. At least I currently get 36 names on the who-list there, and only 21 people are on Prime.
Unknown2011-12-07 08:36:03
6088h, 8640m, 8640e, 10p, 20398en, 33900w exkb-(+50 Mana)
Bobbins, Draylor, Vashner, Arkae, Arlent, Dmitrou, Farlaris, Jarael, Justalyne, Kylsiu, Lavinya,
Mahvek, Mykel, Naia, Nihta, Qistrel, Rauhaur, Saran, Sivas, Syranas, Taamu, Tartorous, Vaelle.
(*) Currently, there are 23 Lusternians on this Plane and 25 on other Planes.
5716h, 8640m, 8640e, 10p, 20398en, 33900w exkb-

: INFO: Parsing character data now... Please wait...

: ONLINE NOW: Arkae, Arlent, Astrasia, Bethey, Bobbins, Dmitrou, Draylor, Farlaris, Jarael,
Jazris, Justalyne, Kyair, Kylsiu, Lavinya, Maellio, Mahvek, Mykel, Naia, Nihta, Nymerya, Qistrel,
Rauhaur, Saran, Sarella, Sherai, Sivas, Stratas, Syranas, Taamu, Tartorous, Tulemrah, Vaelle,
Vashner, Zada

: INFO: Total players online: 34
: ALERT: Possible fights with:

Seems like you might be right. I stand corrected.

14 people out of a total of 48 have gems in that case? A lot more than I would have thought.
Iosai2011-12-07 08:52:38
Fixing the old.lusternia.com who file has been on my todo list as low-priority for quite a while (there were a number of pending bug reports about it). Despite it having always been that way, it was quite definitely a bug and we weren't planning to ignore indefinitely. Unfortunately, when you posted your plugin on the forums and made it clear to us how easy it was to bypass the in-game who list and avoid a number of restrictions, it got bumped up the list and I fixed it. We're sorry for your wasted time when coding the plugin, but avoiding hard-coded restrictions by taking advantage of a flaw in the website was never intended.

old.lusternia.com is also just that - the old website - and won't be supported forever. You should be moving away from using it, not relying on it more!
Ssaliss2011-12-07 08:58:30
Personally, I only use old.lusternia.com for the player lookup, and in those cases pretty much only to find out their org. I hope a similar lookup will become available on the new site before it's taken down.
Vadi2011-12-07 09:04:44
I agree that the organizational lookup should still stay. As for this, good thing that it was fixed, it was a bug!
Lilia2011-12-07 09:19:13
Unknown2011-12-07 09:24:18
I think it should show everyone online (regardless of gem), where they are, and how long ago their last command was sent.
Malarious2011-12-07 09:29:14
I think you pay for the gem so people have to put effort into locating you, there are several ways to check for "if online" as is, the site was just a convenient way to do so. And worked OFFLINE so you could easily go oh hey Shuyin is here, call the monks and harass him, PURELY as an example of course Shu.
Daereth2011-12-07 15:08:34
As was said before there are plenty of ridiculous ways to bypass the gem. Which include cwho, gwho and even fwho, which is the most retarded one since not everyone in your family has to be nice and not gank you. Hell, log a gaudi alt and gwho to see if shuyin is lurking? I'm sure people do it!

The point of my post is let's get it out in the open if we're going to be consistant or not. It should either block everything or we should just stop removing random ones that have been there forever.
Ssaliss2011-12-07 15:32:22
It explicitly states that it doesn't block gwho/cwho though, so that's not much of an argument. It explicitly states that it removes you from who, clwho, bw and qw (of which the website is pretty much an extension), which leaves owho and fwho up in the air. I would agree with you being removed from fwho though, as it's very possible that families aren't always on the best of terms.

EDIT: And as for logging into a gaudi-alt to check if Shu is lurking... If you're going to block everything that you can do in violation of HELP SECONDS, well, we'd be far more limited than we are today.
Unknown2011-12-07 15:41:32
There's also a very specific artifact for doing an off-plane list of everybody. Called the Scyring Mirror, it allows you to do an ewho which lets you see those WITHOUT a cloaking gem on all the planes and aetherways/aetherbubbles/godrealms/faterealm/muud/limbo. (It's interesting what areas are Limbo). Since that artifact costs credits, I think the admin will take a very dim view of people bypassing it via a bug on a soon-to-be-retired website.
Unknown2011-12-07 16:13:19
Demigod Seek.

Also, I approve of the website bypass. It's such an OOC way to circumvent IC things, sometimes. If you're going to scout out who's online or not, at least make it an in-game thing.
Daereth2011-12-07 16:38:20
Phred:
I think the admin will take a very dim view of people bypassing it via a bug on a soon-to-be-retired website.

If it's been that way for five years.. it's called a feature, not a bug.