Flower Ideas

by Unknown

Back to Ideas.

Unknown2011-11-17 09:58:47
Kayte:

This is what I was about to suggest! Maybe a denizen who when you give him flowers and ask nicely, he'll make a bouquet and wrap it in paper? (comms needed - letter, flowers, with a flower limit) and then it just becomes "a bouquet of mixed flowers" or roses... etc. Or maybe just able to use roses, and then have another skill in Arts/jewelry/artisan where we can make wallhangings and such that use flowers and also those brooch-y things that people wear at weddings and prom that are made of flowers...
Phoebus:
Or just fun little items, maybe made using Arts, that could be sold and worn/hung as decorations/whatever, that take chunks of flowers to use. A few different types of things, each using a different amount of flowers, maybe that could have a specific look if you used all of one type of flower (to perhaps make those "less desirable" blossoms more likely to be sought). I don't know, it would be nice to have SOMETHING to do with them, doubly so if it was something fun.

Another plug for the minor artifact/Arts skill? idea I had, somewhat expanded.

Florist's Ribbon: Allows you to make a bouquet, boutonniere, corsage, wreath, circlet, wristlet, dream/meditation pillow or lei out of flowers to give to friends. Bouquets can be THROWN/TOSSED. Wreaths can be EXIBITted with Arts exhibit. All other types can be worn like normal flowers. (Types that can be used: Rose, Lily, Poppy, Carnation, Freesias, Skybloom, Kouseki, Lotus, Orchid, Iris, Iceflower etc). Use: ARRANGE (flower) (bouquet/circlet/etc). Ex. ARRANGE (twilight blue rose) bouquet = A bouquet of twilight blue roses. or Arrange lavender skybloom boutonniere = A lavender skybloom boutonniere.

Decay time would be normal, unless perhaps there was an arts made vase to extend for bouquets/circlets. Or maybe two bouquet/circlet types, one regular, one wedding, where wedding types have a high comms cost, and are permanent, but can remember/record the date of the wedding when the officiant declares the couple to be wed?

Dream/Meditation Pillow interactions:

SNUGGLE/INHALE: You bury your face in a silvery windwisp scented dream/meditaion pillow, inhaling its delicate, sweet fragrance.

BRANDISH at : You wind up and swing at with a silvery windwisp scented dream pillow, hitting them in the !

PAT: You pat a silvery windwisp scented dream pillow, inhaling a delicate, sweet fragrance as you fluff it.

THROW at : You fling your silvery windwisp scented dream pillow at !

I do kind of like the riftable flower idea for the more common/non quest flowers.

Thoughts?
Unknown2011-11-17 10:06:21
Sorry for the double but the editor is being finicky so: (Chance of pillow exploding if brandished too many times, and is permanently destroyed)
Saran2011-11-17 14:34:43
The thing that I don't like.

You're suggesting I get a small collection of abilities that have no apparent actual in-game uses and are entirely reliant the ownership of an artefact that spams out items that similarly have little to no use. (in fact, their only use is in the designs that have been crafted to rely on them)

Now, do not take the above to mean that I do not want flowers in the game. They just are in their own hazy little realm somewhere between being a commodity and being a true artefact.

The changes I would suggest are:

• Make flowers available outside of the artefacts.
  • Make the artefacts specifically better for acquiring them.
  • Make flowers produced this way riftable by type (dusktulip, purpletulip, freesias, dawntulip, yellowlily, twilightrose, carnation, tigerlily, sunflower, iris, blackrose, whiterose, redrose, orchid, snapdragons, yellowrose, pinkrose, poppy)

At this point flowers are, effectively, commodities to be consumed. Moving forward:

• Make some cute fluffy skills utilizing flowers.
  • Make a selection of abilities in the nature and totem skills (plus specs) that consume a flower as part of their cost.

The issue is that I cannot think of a single point at which flowers are actively and naturally consumed, they exist to decay. The easiest thing to do would be to delete the artefact from the game, I think this would be a really bad way to handle things.

The suggestion to have nature/totem users utilize them as commodities provides a method to remove flowers from the game while giving them a purpose for being in it. Plus I would be actually rather interested in seeing the effects of the wyrd on all of the flowers.

I just can't see a point having them around in their current fluffy state, if they were moved into a state where they are actually needed then having them continue to be in-game makes sense.
Morshoth2011-11-17 15:57:03
Ummm, flowers are available outside of the artifact, just visit the Cave of Nature!
Saran2011-11-17 16:23:30
Morshoth:

Ummm, flowers are available outside of the artifact, just visit the Cave of Nature!

Interesting, not seeing any though and if they become necessary it would need to be something that people can get reliably.
Lilia2011-11-17 16:29:59
It's the Cave of Beauty actually.
Saran2011-11-17 16:59:38
Ah, there it is.

But yeah, not sure that'd be enough.

edit:

Just as an extension, I'm thinking of things like...
The Hartstone summoning a circle of stones and using wreaths of flowers to focus the power of the stones or the Blacktalon coaxing clusters of flowers to grow into their bodies to be improved by the power of the wyrd coursing through their veins.(cause it would make me entirely to see a blacktalon punching their arm out and a large flowery dragon head rearing up from within their robes to take a bite out of someone)
Unknown2011-11-17 17:39:21
Saran:
Ah, there it is.

But yeah, not sure that'd be enough.

Alright, here's another idea. What if the regular common flowers of the flowerpot/ aetherseed artifacts were made similar to how herbs are right now, where they can be plucked and harvested in different areas dependent on season, time of day, but are visible to everyone instead of just to the person who has the skill. And the aetherseed/flowerpot artifact is changed so that on top of common flowers, you can have custom flowers as well (so as not to devalue the artifact for those who have it already).

With some digging, I've found it's at least possible for the latter, since Achaea has:

A stone flowerpot: 5 Mayan crowns

- A new twist on an old favourite, this flowerpot will grow a selection
of 10 beautiful (and different from the standard pot) flowers every
Achaean month! The best thing about this new pot is that it is
customisable! Want new flowers in it? Only one type of flower? Not a
problem! (Contact customisations@achaea.com for more information on
modifications.)

I assume the crowns are a db equivalent.

Edit: This is in addition to all the quoted/unquoted ideas above as if they were in effect.

And really, I like the flowers for fluff's sake. It's what makes them fun. Not everything has to be for combat or stats. If we were to get rid of everything because it has no apparent use outside of aesthetics or whimsy, the world would be terribly boring.
Saran2011-11-17 17:44:21
That works... kinda, but you still have the core issue of too many items in the game. I was thinking maybe increasing the number of flowers that can spawn in each and being able to set what grows in them? but I admit it is a little underwhelming.
Unknown2011-11-17 18:09:59
Lady Iosai if you're about.. I've got question:

Hrmm.. and another idea, or musing really. I don't know if herbs work this way already but, would it help the numbers if the actual herb/flower isn't an actual ' created/generated object' per se until it's harvested from its node or taken from its container? So no actual flowers floating about in game aside from the ones people have.. and they're destroyed again when rifted (if there's going to be a flower rift) Or is that really how things work? -twiddle-
Saran2011-11-17 18:24:33
GealbhanBheag:

Hrmm.. and another idea, or musing really. I don't know if herbs work this way already but, would it help the numbers if the actual herb/flower isn't an actual ' created/generated object' per se until it's harvested from its node or taken from its container? So no actual flowers floating about in game aside from the ones people have.. and they're destroyed again when rifted (if there's going to be a flower rift) Or is that really how things work? -twiddle-

GealbhanBheag:

My impression is that a herb(well any object) is only ever in existence when you can probe it. If it's in the rift then it's effectively a number in a table and every room likely has a count of the herbs that can grow in it (based off of base terrain type) where harvesting deducts one from that count and creates an actual item the same way that taking something out of the rift does.

The flowers in the pots and gardens are actual items as they have reference numbers.

Though if flowers became riftable, it might be possible for the pots to just generate flowers as a number up to a maximum like herbs do, with a command to extract them.
Turnus2011-11-17 22:32:06
The simplest change I can really think of for flowers is just to not have the flowers be made until they're picked, and then let the one picking decide what they want.

Every time the pot/garden refreshes it adds one "pull" to it, probing the garden/pot reveals how many pulls are left, and you can do something like pull snapdragon from pot/garden.

That really seems like the simplest change that will make people with the arties happy.
Sylphas2011-11-18 00:29:51
Just make them a type of herb, basically. Have them function in every way similar to herbs. If you want certain common flowers to even grow around the basin or in the woods or whatever, great! Make the gardens and pots have cooler, rarer flowers, like fountains can make rare, fountain-only liquids. Have an ability in Arts that turns an herb-flower into a wearable flower with a decay time and all the other "real item" stuff.
Saran2011-11-18 01:02:09
Turnus:

The simplest change I can really think of for flowers is just to not have the flowers be made until they're picked, and then let the one picking decide what they want.

Every time the pot/garden refreshes it adds one "pull" to it, probing the garden/pot reveals how many pulls are left, and you can do something like pull snapdragon from pot/garden.

That really seems like the simplest change that will make people with the arties happy.

My only real issue is that they still don't go anywhere, they are created but to what end?
Unknown2011-11-18 02:40:32
To be pretty and used as commodities! -sagenod
Unknown2011-11-18 03:34:14
I would be kind of annoyed to have to buy another artifact just to make my artifact that makes flowers useful, yeah? I suggested an Arts ability specifically because Arts is something everyone has access to. I don't know exactly what use they would have. The idea for bouquets was just to help make selling flowers more viable, since it could put multiple flowers into one thing, instead of having them all take up space individually. I'm sure there are some other more useful things that could be made too, but I don't really have any good ideas on hand.

Suggestions for making them not exist until whatever or be riftable etc. are ok, but they miss the real issue. The problem that needs solving is that there are artifacts for sale that do nothing but produce infinite flowers. Before, the flowers were sold. But now with the necessary shop changes, selling infinite flowers is impossible (and if you have a store with a decent stock you're probably not going to want to waste space on any flowers at all) and these artifacts are essentially useless- even problematic, now that they've left you with a big pile of flowery garbage you can't do anything with and continue to produce more.
Unknown2011-11-18 03:50:12
Since the use of flowers is so limited, it might be better to change the way gardens function instead.

Perhaps gardens could be restructured to act like the dingbat commodity artifacts; you can upkeep your garden X times every month, selecting the flowers you wish to produce. At the end of said month, you may harvest the flowers.

Since flowers are essentially only used in limited designs, it makes sense for them to be available on a commission basis. That way you don't have stockpiles of useless flowers, nor do you have to slowly collect desired flowers from random spawns when somebody orders them.
Saran2011-11-18 03:53:38
GealbhanBheag:

To be pretty and used as commodities! -sagenod

The first yes, but the second seems more like they are equivalent to non-commodity items used in designs (essences, corpses, etc) where they are just something extra that you add on to the design so that you can incorporate them into it/cut costs by putting in a cheap item.
Saran2011-11-18 03:58:17
Phoebus:

I would be kind of annoyed to have to buy another artifact just to make my artifact that makes flowers useful, yeah? I suggested an Arts ability specifically because Arts is something everyone has access to. I don't know exactly what use they would have. The idea for bouquets was just to help make selling flowers more viable, since it could put multiple flowers into one thing, instead of having them all take up space individually. I'm sure there are some other more useful things that could be made too, but I don't really have any good ideas on hand.

Suggestions for making them not exist until whatever or be riftable etc. are ok, but they miss the real issue. The problem that needs solving is that there are artifacts for sale that do nothing but produce infinite flowers. Before, the flowers were sold. But now with the necessary shop changes, selling infinite flowers is impossible (and if you have a store with a decent stock you're probably not going to want to waste space on any flowers at all) and these artifacts are essentially useless- even problematic, now that they've left you with a big pile of flowery garbage you can't do anything with and continue to produce more.

The issue I see with bouquets is that if they are an arts skill, and that's the only change that is made, then you've essentially added an ability that has no purpose other than to remove items produced by an artefact from the game. There is also a question of how many types of bouquets there could be and whether people would still want individual flowers stocked so that they could make their own bouquets because the shops don't stock the exact type they want.
Enyalida2011-11-18 04:06:22
I like the idea of making the gardens at least an upkeep type artifact. You go and CULTIVATE RED ROSEs or something.