Petition to save pocketbelts

by Ssaliss

Back to The Polling Place.

Ssaliss2011-11-12 23:53:45
With the latest change (which was rolled back), pocketbelts were removed. While, sure, most people don't need more than 2000 of each herb, herbalists (and alchemists) do, especially if they're also shopkeepers. To put things into perspective, a single keg of healing takes 800 galingale. That means a standard rift can't hold more than two health kegs worth. Further, a keg of perfumes need 1000 spices, and there are five different kinds of perfumes. A keg of tea takes 1000 rawtea, and again, there are five different kinds. That means you quickly run out of rift, and while it's easy to say "buy anomalies", even with a maxed out rift you can run out real quick.

The easiest (at least in my eyes) solution would be to make pocketbelts larger, allowing them to hold 1000 in each pocket. This basically cuts the need for pocketbelts down to a quarter of today's amounts. Making them hold more than six items probably wouldn't solve anything, since the same amount of items would in essence still be around.

Another solution would be to add in some kind of limits to them, but what those limits could be while still having them retain their functionality, I don't know.

Other thoughts and ideas are, of course welcome, and I would personally welcome an explanation as for why they are to be removed. I'm probably one of the biggest users of pocketbelts, and even I don't have more than 450-500 items inside of them, which pales in comparison with the 200.000 items in shops.
Xenthos2011-11-12 23:55:43
There are artifacts to increase rift sizes; my rift currently allows 4k of each herb.
Razenth2011-11-12 23:57:14
Ssaliss mentions that that is still not enough, and I agree.
Xenthos2011-11-13 00:00:08
Razenth:

Ssaliss mentions that that is still not enough, and I agree.

It can go up to something like 8000 of each type, which is more than what Ssaliss had in the pocketbelts... so, how is that still not enough?

Edit: Checked the totals again, everything except galingale is under 8000; and you really don't need more than that at a time, you're not going to be doing 8 kegs of healing at a time, or 8 kegs of any one thing.
Ssaliss2011-11-13 00:02:45
I've got over 9000 galingale in my pocketbelts, and more than 12000 spices.
Xenthos2011-11-13 00:04:20
Ssaliss:

I've got over 9000 galingale in my pocketbelts, and more than 12000 spices.

Already edited and replied (I went back to check the post again), though I missed the spices.

I really don't feel like that much is needed at once, however, as said in the edit.
Vadi2011-11-13 00:06:50
They're a pain to deal with. I have like... seventy-three of them. Make them go away! I imagine outb can't be too quick either, having to look through all of them for the stuff I want to get.
Xenthos2011-11-13 00:11:27
Basically, I feel that the argument you are using holds little weight.

The argument that "I was able to do this without buying artifacts... further, without buying a large number of artifacts... because the pocketbelt mechanic was sufficient to address the issue presented by trying to fill kegs for customers and for myself" is one that I'd be much more willing to support, because frankly this is a huge hit. Being told that you need to buy artifacts to be able to keep doing what you have been doing sucks.

I just don't buy that "8k of each herb maximum isn't enough!". Especially since you have an additional 2-8k in each owned shop, too. Storage isn't an issue. It's having to buy artifacts to continue doing what you already have been doing that is.

(I imagine that you can garner more sympathy with the argument there as well)
Turnus2011-11-13 00:37:03
The biggest annoyance really is that I keep two sets of comms, commune provided and personal which I track differently by using pocketbelts. If it helps improve the lag issues, I'm fine with it though really. You can always drop your herbs as one group in a locked chest or something to store them.
Ssaliss2011-11-13 00:50:49
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll have to start doing that. Which will suck rather extensively.
Unknown2011-11-13 04:58:46
Ssaliss, with all due respect, if you have a stockroom you don't need pocketbelts. Outrift it all, group it, and drop it on the stockroom floor. It is still safe.

The pocketbelt change only really affects the ability of herbalists without shop access to store large numbers of herbs. Otherwise they are a single object with a multiper attached to them. If lots of people kept pocketbelts on the stockroom floor for storage instead of selling them, then that's a lot more items than just having a group of 5000 of each herb on the floor instead.

I don't think there's anything for you to worry about here, unless the way stockroom storage of riftables is changing soon!
Eventru2011-11-13 05:49:10
Alas, the pocketbelt is an ancient thing of great appreciation, but its time has come and is now gone.

In a month, we'll be less more than 6,000 replicas from this change alone. Honestly, it was meant to be made some time ago, but was forgotten in the hubub surrounding Gaudiguch/Hallifax's release lead up, if I do recall.
Kagato2011-11-14 07:02:39
Main reason I'm disappointed is because I actually got a pocketbelt as my gift from my recent 100 credit purchase, which has now been taken from me. Needless to say I am not impressed.
Xenthos2011-11-14 12:37:33
The pocketbelt was not the gift. The contents of the pocketbelt were...

It shouldn't have decayed yet, so you should still have them.
Kagato2011-11-14 15:18:24
edit: Hrm, I had mainly considered the pocketbelt the gift since it was going to far outlast the herbs that I got x_x Ah well, guess it's just my bad luck (and a costly bit of bad luck at current exchange rates x_x'')