Looking to buy a new laptop.

by Unknown

Back to The Real World.

Unknown2011-09-07 22:38:14
As the title says, I'm looking at buying a new laptop! Or potentially a desktop. Not quite sure yet, but more likely leaning towards a laptop. I've got four currently but will be selling 3 of them as soon as I am able to get a new one.

So, I prefer Intel processors because they have the lock on them that AMD processors do not. I had an AMD laptop and it was terrific for the Winter, but that was about it. As for brands, I will not touch HP with a ten foot pole, and for Dell I need at least a 9 foot pole. I'm looking at Asus/Acer/Gateway/Toshiba. A lot of people seem to like the Toshibas.

Is quad core standard for a laptop today? It looks like it is but I'm not quite sure. I'm also not looking to spend over $500 for it. I need something affordable!

So, suggestions, thoughts?

Edit: Will be used for browsing, office work, Lusternia, and the occasional heavy gaming like LoL.
Unknown2011-09-07 22:44:33
My experience with Dell laptops was frustrating and entirely overpriced. On the otherhand, my Asus is fast, cheaper then it's contemporaries, and had responsive and competent customer service.
Unknown2011-09-07 23:56:02
QUOTE (Kialkarkea @ Sep 7 2011, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My experience with Dell laptops was frustrating and entirely overpriced. On the otherhand, my Asus is fast, cheaper then it's contemporaries, and had responsive and competent customer service.

I like Intel processors. I do not like Dell, HP, Sony, or the newer Compaqs (due to being made by HP). The old Compaqs took abuse like champs.
Unknown2011-09-08 00:37:44
Thread hijack, kinda, but it seems that after returning my HP Laptop to HP a third time and they are unlikely to fix it this time (They've failed twice, why would it work the third time?) they're going to have to offer me a replacement in the form of some other kind of HP Laptop. Since they've discontinued the line that I actually want (The one that is broken, coincidence?) I have to pick something that doesn't have the feature for which I originally purchased it. Essentially I want the lightest weight possible while staying above 12 inches, and a decent enough setup otherwise to handle multiple processes and notetaking. Battery life is not an issue. If anyone is familiar with the hp line of laptops, I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say before I have to make a decision D=

As for "OP", up until my most recent purchase, I had very little problem with HP products, and used to highly recommend them. Moreover, after working in and amongst the lines of products by a few manufacturers (Toshiba, Sony, HP, Acer almost exclusively) I came to find that Toshiba/Acer Products were really sort of the low standard of the industry, and that HP and Sony, while overpriced, were the high end of the industry (circa 2008 =\\) As I said, after this foray into the belly of HP Support, I would rescind my support for them in general, and I've never thought much of Sony as they are way overpriced for what you get.

That being said, I am a cheerleader for Lenovo products. I have a beat up Lenovo laptop I'm using in the meantime - They don't look like much, but they're pretty tough, and so on. the only problem I've had with this one is that there's some defect in the motherboard which makes the display freak out sometimes <.<

I guess I don't really have any advice at all, other than to say that I have not been impressed by Acer or Toshiba products =\\ Maybe the market as a whole is just a crapshoot? (Except Lenovo, yay IBM!)

Also, Heavy gaming like LoL.. Lol? LoL has extremely light requirements to play dry.gif
Casilu2011-09-08 00:44:04

I already messaged my opinion.

But you can't argue with the big deal.
Stangmar2011-09-08 01:08:26
Toshiba is the bees knees. I love mine. Have had it for a few months now, got it for $507 at Walmart.com. That price included shipping and tax. It's a Satellite L655-S5146. Has an Intel Pentium dual-core processor. 2.13 ghz. 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, and 15.6" screen. Also has built in webcam and mic(standard of course these days). Also includes HDMI port. I've really enjoyed it.

EDIT: Also, just prepare yourself, Microsoft, the greedy bastards, have stopped including the Microsoft Office Suite with OEM Windows installations. You get Word and Excel starter editions, which are pretty lame. You're going to be ponying up $100+ if you want the Office suite. Or you can download LibreOffice for free, but it's crap from my experience.
Casilu2011-09-08 01:26:45
I have to disagree with Stangy-poo.

I love Open Office. I've used Microsoft Office for a class I had to take (on Microsoft office) and any feature I wanted in MS, I would find in OO.
Unknown2011-09-08 01:29:59
HP products are terrible. It's like Compaq used to be amazing until HP bought them. And HP used to be okay. But meh. Asus has always been the brand I've seriously looked at as one of the top, though Toshiba has been well-recommended to me. I've currently got an Asus netbook that I LOVE to bits, it's just got too small a screen. I'm typing off of an Acer Travelmate. I did love my HP Pavilion but HPs have so many issues these days. I'd still be using my Compaq M700 but it was... designed in 2000 or so.

LoL may not be heavy gaming, but I also like to play other games as well that I am currently unable to, despite this laptop having more than enough for requirements. Meh, that's a rant for another day.

As for office products and such... I am notorious for getting a laptop, formatting the harddrive, installing said OS of choice, installing Linux alongside said OS of choice, and downloading OpenOffice. laugh.gif

Edit: Completely forgot TigerDirect sells laptops. Oh my. Anyway, debating between two:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=4938

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=4965

I really like the looks of the Asus. I was really impressed by their netbooks.
Stangmar2011-09-08 01:54:11
I haven't had the same experience with LibreOffice(basically the same as OO). I'm taking a Microsoft Office course with focus on using Access and Excel in Business applications. The LibreOffice version of Access is an utter joke. Haven't had to use the Excel yet(but it seems okay). My main issues have been with the word processor(fairly temperamental) and with Base. If I could afford it, I would go buy the Student edition of MS Office 10 tonight.
Unknown2011-09-08 02:41:39
QUOTE (stangmar @ Sep 7 2011, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't had the same experience with LibreOffice(basically the same as OO). I'm taking a Microsoft Office course with focus on using Access and Excel in Business applications. The LibreOffice version of Access is an utter joke. Haven't had to use the Excel yet(but it seems okay). My main issues have been with the word processor(fairly temperamental) and with Base. If I could afford it, I would go buy the Student edition of MS Office 10 tonight.

*cough* Though we don't talk of such things, everything can be free... if you will it.
Stangmar2011-09-08 02:55:11
I do not choose to partake in such unmentionable activities. What I doth will is that I maintain my legal and financial freedoms, and have previously felt the fear and pressure of impending criminal charges, and as such choose to play by the rules. I do have a legally acquired copy of Office XP sitting at my parents house. I shall being searching for it when I go home this weekend.
Unknown2011-09-08 04:05:15
QUOTE (stangmar @ Sep 7 2011, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do not choose to partake in such unmentionable activities. What I doth will is that I maintain my legal and financial freedoms, and have previously felt the fear and pressure of impending criminal charges, and as such choose to play by the rules. I do have a legally acquired copy of Office XP sitting at my parents house. I shall being searching for it when I go home this weekend.

Makes perfect sense. smile.gif It's the reason why I opt for OpenOffice and Gimp.
Kaalak2011-09-10 03:40:16
QUOTE (Kayte @ Sep 7 2011, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As the title says, I'm looking at buying a new laptop!

http://www.amazon.com/G53SW-A1-Republic-Ga...541966&s=pc

Owns.
Unknown2011-09-10 14:07:38
QUOTE (Kaalak @ Sep 10 2011, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*cheers at brand, cries at price*