Macbook Air or Macbook Pro

by Unknown

Back to The Real World.

Unknown2011-09-14 13:21:57
Yeah, I'm gonna have some major moolah soon and I want to buy a laptop to replace my old one.

I can't decide between a Macbook Air and Macbook Pro. Any of you guys have used either can tell me more about them? Pros, cons and what not.

Money is not a problem tongue.gif

Thanks!
D
Neos2011-09-14 13:29:17
Biggest con: Mac.
All other cons and pros are overshadowed by that.
Unknown2011-09-14 13:35:28
QUOTE (AquaNeos @ Sep 14 2011, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Biggest con: Mac.
All other cons and pros are overshadowed by that.

sad.gif, don't crush my hopes and dreams pls?
Sakr2011-09-14 14:16:37
Bah, Macs are excellent for their lifetimes. Have some friends who only needed to replace the battery since they began uni. But still, why not step out of the tainted bubble which is known as macs and step into the world of hp?
Unknown2011-09-14 16:08:40
Buy a non-Mac and then put OS/X on it, if you really want. Way more cost effective. MacBooks are light on hardware, anyway, making them better for slicing bread or baking pizza. biggrin.gif
Unknown2011-09-14 17:19:36
Why is Mac considered a tainted bubble ohmy.gif
Unknown2011-09-14 17:26:19
I love my iPods, but their computers are mostly standard off-the-shelf parts sold at inflated prices.
Lilija2011-09-14 18:04:32
I make my monies as a certified macintosh technician. Just figured I'd throw that out here first. All of the above that's been said is correct. Mac products in every single instance are overpriced standard parts that Apple has assembled together into an "ooh, shiny!" package. In general, the best bang for your buck is going the PC route. If you're really smart, do some research and figure out what laptops out there that meet or exceed the specs you want in your MBP/MBA and check to see if it's hackintoshable.

With that being said, if you do want to go the Apple route, Macbook Pro hands down. It's not even because it's the "more powerful" of the two computers. Macbook Airs have their RAM built into the motherboard. The amount of RAM you specify for the system to have is it. Without changing that board out (which is stupidly priced, probably close to the $1k range if I remember right) you have no upgrade options. The hard drives are also an odd design, and you'll pay more out of pocket for those as well if you wish to upgrade. Couple that with the lack of any optical media, and it's a fail.

The Macbook Pro, on the other hand, will allow you to upgrade the hard drive and RAM with pretty standard parts (though for RAM, I'd personally recommend OWC. Haven't had an issue with any of their memory for the three years I've been in charge of ordering stuff where I work). However, if the motherboard quits, screen gets damaged, etc, the Macbook Pro will typically cost more for you to repair than the Air would.

So, tl;dr, Macbook Pro is better solution if you don't want to pay outrageous Apple prices to upgrade RAM and hard drive. If you don't mind being pretty much locked in to what you pick from the get go, then the Macbook Air is an option.

One final thing. Applecare, as much as I scoff at extended manufacturers warranties, is always worth it on Apple computers. Normally, if you have one repair done to the unit (say...optical drive goes out) it will pay for itself with that first repair, and it then keeps on going. Also, Apple does have a lemon policy, and you can start pressuring them to give you a new system once you've hit four repairs. If possible, avoid the Apple stores and find an Apple Certified Warranty Repair shop to purchase the unit from and have any work you need done there. It will be cheaper than the Apple store, and you're supporting your local economy (that's a good thing). Also, you can normally hammer them down 5% or so on the price if you offer to pay in cash, since most folks that sell the computers need to make $250k this year, and $500k next year in sales to keep their dealership status. If you'd like, PM me the city you live in, and I'll have the boss man hit his mailing list and find out who runs a shop out there that is reliable.
Okin2011-09-15 07:27:12
I'll also throw in my two cents and point out that if you want a laptop because you need a full-powered computer that's portable, but you don't necessarily need the power and portability at the same time, consider an iMac+iPad combo. The cheapest 15-inch MacBook Pro is $1800. For $1700, you can get an iMac that's more powerful than the MacBook ($1200) and an iPad ($500). Portability, affordability, power and shininess! Of course, if you specifically need a laptop, then that's a different story.