Geomancer Combat

by Saku

Back to Combat Guide.

Saku2011-08-25 02:49:55
Hello

Was wondering what is the best way for a geomancer to fight pvp. Both one on one and in groups.

TK is the third guild skill no skill is trans yet.
Raeri2011-08-25 04:28:20
Meld, Barrier, Chasm?
Rivius2011-08-25 14:52:16
Post up your abs or let us know how far you are in each. We won't be able to tell you how to use what you have otherwise.
Saku2011-08-25 15:53:12
Common Skills Rank Pool
------------- ------------ ------------
Combat Inept Melee
Resilience Inept Fitness
Discernment Apprentice Intellect
Highmagic Novice Arcana
Planar Adept Mysticism
Discipline Apprentice Willpower
Environment Inept Communion
Influence Master Magnetism
Dramatics Inept Performance
Arts Inept Finearts
Beastmastery Inept Magnetism
Aethercraft Capable Mysticism
Trade Skills Rank Pool
None
Guild Skills Rank Pool
Elementalism Expert Mysticism
Geomancy
Psionics Master Intellect
Telekinesis
Illusions Novice Intellect

More in detail:

Tainted Breathe the tainted air.
Fossilize Turn your dead enemies into fossils.
Burrow Tunnel deep underground.
Boulderblast Create carnage by exploding boulders
Taint Twist the land with death.
Meld Merge your magics with the tainted land.
Influence Increase your sway over others in your demesne.
Poison The tainted earth releases its miasmic fumes.
Center Move to the centre of your demesne.
Dissolve Easily remove an aura of protection around another.
Tremors Knock people to the ground or shake them out of the trees.
Duststorm Stirred up dust obscures vision.
Lodestone Magnetic lodestones pull enemies to the ground.

Trip A simple telekinetic hook at the legs.
Burst A slight squeeze of the heart will burst blood vessels.
*LegLock Mentally freeze the leg muscles of another.

I know not a whole lot of anything. Am getting Facebook credits at the 10 per day which will take 30 days to really trans a skill. Not sure which skill to trans first but I would guess Geomancy due to the staff.

Level right now is just 52
Liok2011-08-25 16:11:26
As a Geomancer with no trans skills, you're only real option is to stick to smaller foe and damage them out. Generally speaking, in solo combat, you're going to rely on insta-skills. There are ways to set up for a damage kill, especially if you're a mage, but they're just as tricky as the insta-kills, and far less reliable. However, let's break it down a little more than that.

Kill Methods

Chasm - Geomancy (Mythical, 20%)

This is the insta-kill available in the Geomancy skillset. It's a timed insta-kill (and one of the best). As long as your target stays put and doesn't hinder you in a specific way, they will die. Without trans TK or some smart Dreamweaving, this is impossible to pull off on someone worth their salt. Plenty of little folk will fall right in, however.

PhantomSphere - Phantasms (Mythical)

By summoning spheres which you can control from a distance, you can order them to attack your target as long as they are in your demesne. If you can stick four phantomspheres on a target, they die. However, you can't order a sphere to attack a target in the same room as you, and the cure is simply to leave the demesne for a little bit. It's actually quite easy to catch someone off guard with this, as not many people use it. And, if you're smart, you can even catch the people expecting it. Still, this is probably the most unreliable method of mage-doom.

Heartburst - Telekinesis (Transcendent)

If you can get 12 burst vessels (via Telekinesis - Burst), on a single target, you can kill them instantly with this. As long as you're doing it correctly (bursting on every sub balance, and hindering curing in some fashion on every id and super balance), this will happen. TK is one of the few skillsets that guarantees a kill on anyone, as long as they stay with you long enough. This is easily your most solid kill method. It may even be a good idea to get your staff (or one skill more, Chasm) from Geomancy, then work on Telekinesis. This will give you every effect for your meld, and one of the best isnta-kills out there. This will take a while, though, if you're not buying credits OOC.

Damage Kills

Honestly, this is going to be your best bet for now. However, even with this, you're not going to kill someone by just Blasting or Staffing them to death. But still, with the most economical skill investment, this is quite viable for you through building up bleeding with TK and Phantasms. By weaving a Claws phantom (Phantasms, Virtuoso 50%), and spamming Burst, Trip, and Psychicfist Chest (each on every related balance), you'll eventually bleed someone out (though, it will be much more guaranteed if you can manage to get Throatlock in TK, instead of using Psychicfist chest!).

Your role in groups

This is what you should be most concerned with now. Solo combat takes a lot more investment than just your guildskills, like Focus Mind in Discipline, Tumble in Environment, Resilience, the Parries and combat, and that's just for entry level fighting (though, Resilience can be left out).

Combat in Lusternia, however, generally happens in groups. In fact, we even have Wargames, a group vs. group arena game! Being helpful in group combat is the best thing you can aim for when trying to get into combat. As a Geomancer, all you really need to do is learn up to Chasm, and you'll do just fine.

During a group combat situation, and assuming you've achieved Chasm, you'll want to spend the majority of your time hindering the target of your group. A simple web enchantment works wonders. Eventually, you'll learn when they've been beaten on enough to not run away quickly, and that's the perfect time for you to start up a Chasm. Seven or eight seconds later, voila!

tl;dr

Learn Geomancy up to Chasm for group combat, as well as your demesne effects, a more powerful bashing attack, and general usefulness. Peruse the combat forums to find one of the posts on entry-level skills required for solo combat, and then work on those. Lusternia has a pretty high entrance-level cost, but it's definitely doable if your patient!

Welcome to Lusternia, we hope you stick around!

Raeri2011-08-26 06:01:32
Against most smaller opponents, just spamming burst should be enough to bleed them out, coupled with some basic mana draining illusions.
Unknown2011-09-05 19:49:50
Not to derail the topic, but how does aquamancer differ from geomancer as far as combat goes? Is mage a fun archetype? I'm not having fun with monk...damn kata forms!
Neos2011-09-05 20:20:50
QUOTE (Xyas @ Sep 5 2011, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to derail the topic, but how does aquamancer differ from geomancer as far as combat goes? Is mage a fun archetype? I'm not having fun with monk...damn kata forms!

We have... movement and defense stripping. Those are really the main two things that we have that none of the other Mage guilds have. 1 affliction, that being chills, but Aeros also get it. Our passive damage is higher than Aeros, but lower than Geos. We have passive healing, but again Aeros have it and better. Getting off a Preserve, which is our insta, will never ever happen unless the person runs out of fire, healing, sparkle, and scroll charges.

In regards to is Mage fun, I find it fun, but most times mages are target number 1.
Unknown2011-09-14 00:37:54
Geomancer is very fun, especially TK. Coming up with new and creative illusions to weave into your TK combos, finding unorthodox situational methods, and the sheer 'pulse' of Geo TK makes it a blast. Yes, Geos can damagekill, and honestly, if you can swing 20int and a damage rune, it's your best bet against all but the tankiest. However it's not as fun, and can't drop certain types of opponents. Fortunately TK is a blast, especially when combo'd with crafty illusions work and careful attention to your other Geomancy skills.

Possibly the only class I can think of that's more sheer fun to fight as is a multi-ent hexen guardian/wiccan class (SD, MD, Illumie).
Estellise2011-11-02 14:08:43
I didn't feel like it was necessary to make a new thread, but how do pyromancers compare to the other mage guilds? I noticed our instakill doesn't seem to be as reliable since we need to stack burn levels which can be a bit tricky. What is the usual strategy for a Pyromancer? It seems all I am able to do for now is build up my demesne, then burst/pyre and occasionally scan their afflictions.

Common Skills Rank Pool
Combat Inept Melee
Resilience Inept Fitness
Discernment Master Intellect
Highmagic Apprentice Arcana
Planar Adept Mysticism
Discipline Apprentice Willpower
Environment Inept Communion
Influence Master Magnetism
Dramatics Novice Performance
Arts Inept Finearts
Beastmastery Apprentice Magnetism
Aethercraft Inept Mysticism

Trade Skills Rank Pool
Bookbinding Inept Finearts

Guild Skills Rank Pool
Elementalism Mythical Mysticism
Pyromancy
Psionics Expert Intellect
Telekinesis
Illusions Novice Intellect
Unknown2011-11-02 16:05:48
Basically:
Geomancers > All other mages
The other mage guilds are more or less equal, though I'm sure SOMEONE will come along to disagree with me.
I've never actually been a pyromancer, but it seems to me that you would be better off using TWIRL STAFF to actively increase burn levels or casting HEATSTROKE or better yet SWEAT in Telekinesis in order to prevent applying liniment. Further, Incinerate them once they get to 3rd degree burns to start amputating limbs; if you can amputate both arms at once you essentially win.
Hope that helps.
Neos2011-11-02 18:18:44
foolofsound:

Basically:
Geomancers > All other mages
The other mage guilds are more or less equal, though I'm sure SOMEONE will come along to disagree with me.
I've never actually been a pyromancer, but it seems to me that you would be better off using TWIRL STAFF to actively increase burn levels or casting HEATSTROKE or better yet SWEAT in Telekinesis in order to prevent applying liniment. Further, Incinerate them once they get to 3rd degree burns to start amputating limbs; if you can amputate both arms at once you essentially win.
Hope that helps.

Geo > Aero > Pyro > Aqua
Unknown2011-11-02 18:27:21
^Highly debatable. Neos likes complaining about Aquamancers. So do I actually, but for very different reasons.
Fayneix2011-11-02 18:53:33
Okay, in responding to the original question, for bashing, it's obvious. Be sure to level your wyrm to 12, keep it fed and stabled, train it to battle and bodyguard. Regeneration is also good.

Spam burst, and don't use boulderblast unless you've enemied EVERYONE in the enemy group, otherwise it's pretty useless.

I stuck without doing PVP, you can accomplish a lot on the mud path, and I worked out just fine. However, you can't forget all of your staff abilities, once you get them. Raise your staff at least once, preferrably in the beginning, and you'll be that much more powerful.

Also, while I'm thinking on it, don't forget to M-E-L-D. As a mage, it's your most powerful ability. Got it? Good. And be sure to work yourself up in TK, and if you do, \\\\EXTRA IMPORTANT!!//DO NOT LOCK YOUR CHANNELS! \\\\EXTRA IMPORTANT!!//

X's and O's
Tremula
Neos2011-11-03 16:24:24
foolofsound:
The other mage guilds are more or less equal,

foolofsound:

^Highly debatable.