Android Tablets

by Stangmar

Back to The Real World.

Stangmar2011-08-21 21:03:39
So, being too broke right now to justify buying an Ipad, I've been looking at some Android tablets. I've heard Android is pretty good(at least in the smart phone department). Has anybody heard anything about Android on Tablet PC's? I've seen some in the $80-100 range on Ebay, and my dad had one and really liked it. He said he did have on issue where he hit a button that turned off the screen and it never came back on so he sent it back and got a refund.

Has anybody else had any experience with these?
Lendren2011-08-21 22:13:36
I've had a few of the low-end ones. They are great if you want to do something specific that they can do, but they are not general-purpose tablet computers, because they will come with an outdated OS, minimal built-in software, and usually, very little compatability with the marketplaces and other sources of getting software. Often the biggest limitation is that Android software assumes you have constant connectivity (typically via cell networks) but the tablet only has WiFi and a lot of software won't work well because it's making the wrong assumptions.

If you don't mind spending time hacking your way through custom OS tweaks and rootmoding it, you can get a lot of functionality, but it'll never be on a par with a Xoom or an iPad for being able to do anything you like. However, if what you want is something you can check email on, maintain your calendar, use as a great video-watching device, browse the web, and do other things that it'll be able to do out of the box, then it'll be a great bargain -- and the handful of things you can easily do by downloading from the marketplace will be icing on the cake.
Tekora2011-08-22 05:21:20
Might want to look into this, Stangmar.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/arti...to_pass_up.html