Rune # 24

by Svorai

Back to Ideas.

Svorai2011-08-22 06:32:59
So I'm creating a whole thread about this one little thing: we are missing the rune called 'Thorn' (or Thor, or Thurisaz, or whatever you want to call it) in our rune set - and it would be wonderful if we had it implemented.

I don't particularly care what affliction it gives, or what tint we use. Report 607 was rejected, so fine - the Furies don't think a new rune is necessary - does this mean They don't think we should ever have the complete rune set, or that the afflictions suggested would be too much?

Please please please can we have it?

Pretty please with credits on top? ;_;
Ytran2011-08-22 06:38:24
While I'm rather ambivalent about the whole issue, why is it so important that the in-game runic alphabet be identical to real-world runes? There isn't any reason you can't take the runes you have IG now and say it's the full alphabet, because it's not the same as the real-life alphabet.
Svorai2011-08-22 06:54:47
That's fair.

Though given that the names have been used directly from the Elder Futhark - they are all consistent with the Old English names - and most of the afflictions of the runes are synonymous with the meaning of the Elder Futhark runes, i.e.:

CODE
RUNE      AFFLICTION      MEANING OR REVERSED MEANING
Rad       Movement        Travel/wagon
Isa       Chills          Ice/stillness
Daeg      Faerie fire     Day
Wynn      Loneliness      Sorrow/alienation
Ger       Impatience      Patience/cycle of years

...it would be nice to have a complete set, following this line of thought.
Enyalida2011-08-22 15:28:30
I agree, though runes really doesn't need more runes as a skillset. I'm not sure what it would do though. You could have it afflict with plain fear? Scary giant = fear.
Unknown2011-08-29 18:01:00
Raw Divinus damage, int scaled?
Hiriako2011-08-30 00:05:16
QUOTE (PhantasmalKiller @ Aug 29 2011, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Raw Divinus damage, int scaled?

Not if you can embed it in a demense!
Unknown2011-08-30 00:57:16
Hey, at least it would encourage more diversity than pure TK for combat, heh.
Hiriako2011-08-30 02:06:54
QUOTE (PhantasmalKiller @ Aug 29 2011, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, at least it would encourage more diversity than pure TK for combat, heh.

I've seen effective telepaths. I've seen effective (druid) dreamweavers.

TK's just tested and proven. Fairly simple too. The others require more effort, and aren't always synergistic with the demense. (See - Aeromancy and Dreamweaving. Sorry Tulemrah, but I recall your frustrations there!)

I used to see effective runic druids, but admittedly haven't seen anybody fighting as one since my return. I have to wonder how good it'd be these days?
Unknown2011-08-30 21:37:53
Eh, TPs, Dreamweavers and Runes users do exist. They're just consistently sub-optimal. As in barely able to kill without significant backup. Dreamweaver druids typically win fights from their enemy heartstopping, due to their abilities more just irritating the piss outta their opponents while not representing any real danger.
Lehki2011-08-31 03:57:08
I was totally wrecking people with DeathProphecy for a short time, probably because everybody thought it was next to impossible and just ignored it. dry.gif

Also I have never had anybody Heartstop on me just because tiredness is annoying. Usually it's more like leave, sleep somewhere safe, then come back.

On topic, while I guess having the full set of whatever it's actually based on would be neat, we really don't need more runes, there are already a number of runes that I don't think I'd ever use outside of DeathProphecy picking them.
Aerotan2011-09-19 13:58:52
Maybe FLING THORN AT BOB and Bob's attacks are treated as 20% untyped damage for an hour?
Unknown2011-09-19 15:03:24
QUOTE (Aerotan @ Sep 19 2011, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe FLING THORN AT BOB and Bob's attacks are treated as 20% untyped damage for an hour?

Uh... no. Just no.
Unknown2011-09-19 15:08:53
QUOTE (Akeley @ Sep 19 2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh... no. Just no.

Addendum: Did some quick wikipedia research, took rough translations to mean Thorn has an antagonistic bent. Have it be something similar to Astrocast Sun Ray, but deal 100% magic, and at only 65% of Sun's power, since it's ranged and can be superslung.
Unknown2011-09-21 14:56:35
A sensitivity-esque focus spirit cure?
(Because there just aren't enough things using Focus Spirit that aren't worse than the cure)