Computer help - boot trouble.

by Ilyarin

Back to The Real World.

Ilyarin2011-08-11 16:06:42
c/p of what I posted on a computer forum. If anyone here is particularly tech-y I would really appreciate any help. biggrin.gif

Hi,

This morning I removed my main HDD to plug it into another PC and transfer some files. I have now installed it back in the original PC, but it will no longer boot. There is only a loud, high-pitched sound coming from the PC. I have cleaned the inside thoroughly with compressed air. If I remove the graphics card, the sound is no longer emitted. I have had a lot of trouble recently with my computer, most notably with my monitor remaining completely white upon startup. Turning the monitor on/off about ten times tends to fix the problem and the monitor will then display normally until the next shutdown/startup. I tried the monitor on the second computer and the same thing happened with a white screen that would fix itself after being turned on/off repeatedly. My main concern at the moment is the loud whining from my first computer on startup. I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting any further: does this sound like I need to replace my graphics card, PSU, or something else?

PSU: HEC-550TD-PTE
Graphics: GeForce 8800GT

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am not very tech-y, so no jargon please. tongue.gif
Unknown2011-08-11 16:26:24
If you have a cooling fan on your graphics card, that may be where the noise is coming from, and it may be overheating gradually from poor cooling performance. Even blowing the dust out often won't fully fix problems with cooling fans, as the damage has already been done to the motor/fan blades. Power supplies are probably the most common source of overheating from poor cooling, given that most of the dust flows out of the case through that exit.

Your monitor having issues on multiple PCs is more indicative of monitor failure, so you may just have a case of cascading failures, one part overheating and damaging things connected to it...
Ilyarin2011-08-11 16:46:29
Hehe. Oops.

I solved it.

Apparently some genius expected me to have to plug the graphics card in properly. ;(
Unknown2011-08-15 19:06:32
I'm having a similar problem.

Can a faulty power supply stop my HD from being detected(not getting sufficient power)? I'm 80% sure the power supply I'm using is somewhat borked, because it'll just flop off after a set amount of time in post/setup or whatever. I also recently removed my hard drive for the same reasons, but now windows isn't starting because its not being recognized, like I said. Thoughts? I've tried swapping the power cables for my PSU and my DVD/CDrom but in each case the HD is detective and the DVD drive is. I can HEAR the HD, just barely - I can feel it vibrating a little when its on. But is that ENOUGH power? Or is it something else entirely. argh.
Unknown2011-08-27 18:44:50
Had to replace the motherboard. T_T
Caffrey2011-10-06 22:50:09
QUOTE (Ilyarin @ Aug 11 2011, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehe. Oops.

I solved it.

Apparently some genius expected me to have to plug the graphics card in properly. ;(

Nooooooooooooooooooob.

tongue.gif