Gold sinks

by Ssaliss

Back to Ideas.

Ssaliss2011-08-03 20:45:34
Judging by both the forum populace and the price of credits, there is more and more gold in circulation. The increase of gold drops from bashing some time ago combined with few goldsinks has caused a rather immense inflation; the cost of credits has gone up from roughly 6k to roughly 9k. I therefore propose some additional gold sinks, and hope someone else can chime in with some ideas. My one (somewhat weak) idea is: Blessings for gold. I'm unsure about what blessings would be available, but I picture them to be around the same strength as karma or domoth blessings (perhaps even simply allow karma blessings to be bought for gold directly). The cost is hard to calculate, since different people can make very different amount of gold; I've heard some people can bash up 50k per hour, whereas I would, if I'm lucky, reach perhaps 1-2k through bashing.

Thoughts? Suggestions for blessings? Other suggestions for gold sinks?
Unknown2011-08-03 21:10:23
QUOTE (Ssaliss @ Aug 3 2011, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blessings for gold. I'm unsure about what blessings would be available, but I picture them to be around the same strength as karma or domoth blessings (perhaps even simply allow karma blessings to be bought for gold directly).

A way you could do this, maybe, would be various shrines around the highways or something to venerate various nature spirits/other beings or ideals, where you give the resident priest or hermit a certain sum and enjoy their patron's favor for a short time, giving Karma-like blessings (though to a smaller degree maybe, added DMP to common bashing types, increase in essence when offering, kind of like the little buffs Tattoos gives.)
Xiel2011-08-03 21:12:50
I'd say to remove the limit on personal design slots for cartels but not public design slots. Since it's 5k a pop per private design initially submitted, it'd be another gold sink, albeit not as encompassing as other things could be. Keeping the limit on public designs will prevent people from just flooding the system with free things.
Eventru2011-08-03 21:20:09
Or add a heavy cost to design submissions, public or private...
Xenthos2011-08-03 21:21:52
QUOTE (Eventru @ Aug 3 2011, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or add a heavy cost to design submissions, public or private...

That's not called a 'gold sink'.

That's called 'disincentive'.

If you start attaching (or elevating) gold costs on things that already exist, you're making life more miserable for everyone and pushing people who have traditionally enjoyed it away. If you put in new things that have a high gold cost to start, you're giving people an option that they can buy / work towards (see: Curios!).

Player perception is key!
Eventru2011-08-03 21:29:19
QUOTE (Xenthos @ Aug 3 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not called a 'gold sink'.

That's called 'disincentive'.

If you start attaching (or elevating) gold costs on things that already exist, you're making life more miserable for everyone and pushing people who have traditionally enjoyed it away. If you put in new things that have a high gold cost to start, you're giving people an option that they can buy / work towards (see: Curios!).

Player perception is key!

I was kidding. smile.gif

Was more or less teasing Viynain - unlimited private design slots would get wildly expensive in terms of man hours, even with the panel.

I note his suggestion already exists, and in the form of a bigger gold sink - requiring multiple cartels and so forth to achieve any reasonable amount of desired submissions per year.
Silvanus2011-08-03 21:32:18
An NPC that sells sparkleberry.

In Achaea/Aetolia, one of the biggest gold sinks was Seasone (sp?) for 'evil' factions because they always got herbbanned (at least old Achaea/Aet before they realized how lame that is). Not the best idea, but it was the best goldsink for Achaea/Aet at the time.
Xenthos2011-08-03 21:33:27
QUOTE (Eventru @ Aug 3 2011, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was kidding. smile.gif

Was more or less teasing Viynain - unlimited private design slots would get wildly expensive in terms of man hours, even with the panel.

I note his suggestion already exists, and in the form of a bigger gold sink - requiring multiple cartels and so forth to achieve any reasonable amount of desired submissions per year.

Approximately 75% of the time, such a comment from you is kidding; unfortunately, the rest of the time, it's serious. (Poor Breath of Life)

Thus, all such pronunciations must be treated as if they are completely serious!

* Note: Percentages are ballparked from memory, I have not gone back through posts and Envoy discussions to get an exact count.
Ardmore2011-08-03 21:38:34
QUOTE (Silvanus @ Aug 3 2011, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An NPC that sells sparkleberry.

In Achaea/Aetolia, one of the biggest gold sinks was Seasone (sp?) for 'evil' factions because they always got herbbanned (at least old Achaea/Aet before they realized how lame that is). Not the best idea, but it was the best goldsink for Achaea/Aet at the time.

Don't be silly. You can sink that gold into my shop (PORTAL ENTER GOLD)!
---
OBVIOUSLY the best gold sink is for Jeremiah to bring back crates and casks!

Only for the fact that it introduces new credits and dingbats into the game without the need for someone to spend RL money on them and then put them for sale on the market.
Lendren2011-08-03 21:39:11
I think they just instituted the biggest ever gold sink: stockpiled gold in bank accounts being the tiebreaker for the family system. In fact, a year from now, watch for Someone to decide there's way too much gold being stockpiled in banks, and put in some kind of change that will punish everyone who had nothing to do with that, in an attempt to try to address the stockpiling (which it won't actually do). You heard it here first.
Neos2011-08-03 21:44:02
I'm still waiting for the ability to buy Hallifax. I want my own personal ward in the Aquamancers brand new guild hall.
Diamondais2011-08-03 21:47:26
QUOTE (Lendren @ Aug 3 2011, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they just instituted the biggest ever gold sink: stockpiled gold in bank accounts being the tiebreaker for the family system. In fact, a year from now, watch for Someone to decide there's way too much gold being stockpiled in banks, and put in some kind of change that will punish everyone who had nothing to do with that, in an attempt to try to address the stockpiling (which it won't actually do). You heard it here first.

laugh.gif Shall keep that in mind.
Xiel2011-08-03 21:51:10
Darn these people seeing through my veiled attempts at more design slots without more cartels. sad.gif

Time to switch tactics. I desire a way to buy more private slots for an existing cartel past the established 3 a year currently in effect.
Xenthos2011-08-03 21:55:18
QUOTE (Xiel @ Aug 3 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Darn these people seeing through my veiled attempts at more design slots without more cartels. sad.gif

Time to switch tactics. I desire a way to buy more private slots for an existing cartel past the established 3 a year currently in effect.

I desire a way to be able to buy clanslot permits with gold instead of credits.

At the old rate of 4000 gold per credit.
Eventru2011-08-03 22:02:51
QUOTE (Xiel @ Aug 3 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure. +3 slots, 1.5m gold.

Hm, maybe 2m. ninja.gif
Xenthos2011-08-03 22:07:13
QUOTE (Eventru @ Aug 3 2011, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure. +3 slots, 1.5m gold.

Hm, maybe 2m. ninja.gif

I'm sure people would take that just so that they wouldn't have to keep getting (and juggling) new clans and cartels.

If you added in the ability for people to add a new cartel-type to an existing clan-cartel as well for an additional million gold (price of cartel & new clan) I imagine people would buy it too, for the convenience. Or even if you made it 1.5m. Though you'd have to let people like Xiel merge their cartels... but basically, in that case he'd be paying so that more people (like me) can use his cartels. I'd probably even chip in a bit towards that.

There's something to be said for convenience, even at a higher price.
Janalon2011-08-03 22:10:28
--> Gold Sink <--
Eventru2011-08-03 22:13:14
QUOTE (Xenthos @ Aug 3 2011, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure people would take that just so that they wouldn't have to keep getting (and juggling) new clans and cartels.

If you added in the ability for people to add a new cartel-type to an existing clan-cartel as well for an additional million gold (price of cartel & new clan) I imagine people would buy it too, for the convenience. Or even if you made it 1.5m. Though you'd have to let people like Xiel merge their cartels... but basically, in that case he'd be paying so that more people (like me) can use his cartels. I'd probably even chip in a bit towards that.

There's something to be said for convenience, even at a higher price.

Multiple types wouldn't really be possible atm.
Ssaliss2011-08-03 22:28:01
While I certainly wouldn't say no to muptiple trades per cartel/buyable slots for cartels, that only targets the minority of the population. Sure, some people like Viy and Vermilla would likely not hesitate to sink a few million into their clans, Urist McBasher wouldn't, and I've got a feeling that's where the majority of the gold lies.
Janalon2011-08-03 22:33:35
On a more serious, and side topic (still related to open market inflation)... I am wondering if Org & Guild leadership has considered adjusting credit sale prices.

The Nekotai currently hosts the occasional in-guild credit sale for about 3k a pop, with a limit of 5 credit per person per weave while supplies last. In a 6k per credit open market, that cost seemed appropriate. Now selling guild credits at 3k gold in a 9k market either seems entirely appropriate or foolish. Sure, guildmates can get credits at a more reasonable price (especially the newbies), but it poses more of a temptation to resell on the open market for a 300% markup. Thoughts on this particular topic?