Picture to Text!

by Lorina

Back to Creative Arts.

Lorina2011-08-03 19:30:21
And the topic is made for you, my dear.
Kalegyne2011-08-03 19:36:58
Yay! Thank you Lorina! smile.gif

So I'm working out a custom staff (yes I have credits to get a rune of gripping too) and need some help writing up the desc. Because as Lorina said it, "...describing is haaard" (at least when it matters).

Here's a sketch of what I worked out. The pearl and little golden dragon turtle are of course, the easy part. What do I want it made out of? Not sure. Please please help??

staff by Cassie Pie, on Flickr
Unknown2011-08-03 19:44:17
QUOTE (Kalegyne @ Aug 3 2011, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay! Thank you Lorina! smile.gif

So I'm working out a custom staff (yes I have credits to get a rune of gripping too) and need some help writing up the desc. Because as Lorina said it, "...describing is haaard" (at least when it matters).

Here's a sketch of what I worked out. The pearl and little golden dragon turtle are of course, the easy part. What do I want it made out of? Not sure. Please please help??

staff by Cassie Pie, on Flickr

That is very cool. As for a description, let me think of something. I've got inspiration.
Edit: Okay. I'm now overtired. Let's see what I can come up with.

This elegant staff has been carefully crafted of moonstone and sapphire, (or white/blue wood, if you want, that might be neat too, driftwood from the seas) the aquamarine hued crystal starting in a point at the bottom and spiraling its way around to the top, where it breaks off from the white to form a half-circle, clasping a beautiful, iridescent pearl between it and the moonstone.
I'll work on something more, but that's where I'm sort of starting to head. It might help you come up with something you like. smile.gif
Kalegyne2011-08-04 22:25:50
I'm liking the moonstone and other gem. But instead of sapphire, I'm inclined to pick aquamarine beryl (it's supposed to be a teal color, not so much a blue). AND the shapy thing at the top... that's a part I'm having trouble with. What the eff is that shape? I was thinking... double helix which is kind of pinched at the bottom and top? Hrm. Obnoxious.

(I super duper appreciate this!! <3)
Ilyssa2011-08-05 01:02:55
QUOTE (Kalegyne @ Aug 4 2011, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm liking the moonstone and other gem. But instead of sapphire, I'm inclined to pick aquamarine beryl (it's supposed to be a teal color, not so much a blue). AND the shapy thing at the top... that's a part I'm having trouble with. What the eff is that shape? I was thinking... double helix which is kind of pinched at the bottom and top? Hrm. Obnoxious.

(I super duper appreciate this!! <3)

Cresting waves!
Kalegyne2011-08-05 01:25:23
But I feel like cresting waves just doesn't capture it sad.gif

of course I had to choose the most complicated of all 3 I drew for the one I actually -make-
Lilia2011-08-05 01:30:52
Elongated figure eight?
Daraius2011-08-05 01:37:38
QUOTE (Kalegyne @ Aug 4 2011, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I feel like cresting waves just doesn't capture it sad.gif

No words you choose are going to be able to put exactly the same image in each reader's mind. When describing or designing something in this game, I tend to think the poetry of the paragraph is more important than the specific image you're trying to convey. The image is important, obviously, but it'll differ for everyone. Don't lock yourself into an awkward-sounding descriptive term just because it's the most accurate.
Kalegyne2011-08-05 01:40:46
Thanks Daraius. You're totally right. Do you all think double helix would be weird to say since I'm pretty sure they don't legit exist?
Ytran2011-08-05 01:44:36
Entwined moonstone and beryl twist and turn about each other, crafted into a long and exquisitely carved staff. Beginning in a sharp point, a rod of pale blue gem spirals up around an inner pole of shifting hues, forming the majority of the object's length. Splitting from one another at the top of the shaft, the two colourful streams cross once more before looping around and meeting in an oblong circle, with a milky pale pearl set between the two ends. Nestled in the opening beneath, a small dragon turtle fashioned of pure gold sits attached to the inside of the staff.

^ Something like that captures the essence of it to me.
Saran2011-08-05 01:47:52
I might suggest pearl or something else instead of moonstone but that's just a small nitpick.
Kalegyne2011-08-05 02:06:19
Good Gods Ytran, I think you've managed at least the top part perfectly! I dunno about the pearl replacing Moonstone, Saran... but maybe it should be something else. Opal is pretty colors...

(Have I thanked you all lately?!)
Razenth2011-08-05 02:27:45
Someone needs to get Narynth up here!
Saran2011-08-05 03:43:47
QUOTE (Kalegyne @ Aug 5 2011, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good Gods Ytran, I think you've managed at least the top part perfectly! I dunno about the pearl replacing Moonstone, Saran... but maybe it should be something else. Opal is pretty colors...

(Have I thanked you all lately?!)

It's more just because I associate pearl with the oceans while moonstone is associated with... well the moon, I just kinda went off on a tangent about the possible discussions regarding the moons power over water and so on while thinking about it.
Kalegyne2011-08-06 23:17:44
So ... here's what I've got. Lemme know? Again, thank you all for your help!

This long, exquisite staff has been carefully crafted of pristine opal and aquamarine beryl. The core of the staff is made of the smoothest, whitest opal available and the aquamarine hued crystal glistens with Aquamantic power at the faintest hint of sunlight. The beryl, starting with a sharp point at the bottom, spirals its way around the opal which forms the majority of the object’s length. Splitting from one another at the top of the shaft, the two streams cross once before looping around and meeting in an oblong circle, with a pristine white pearl set between the two ends. Nestled on the interior of the opening beneath, sits a small figurine of a dragon turtle fashioned of pure gold. Along the exterior of the oblong loop are a few gentle curls of gemstone creating some cresting waves.
Unknown2011-08-07 05:37:37
QUOTE (Kalegyne @ Aug 6 2011, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So ... here's what I've got. Lemme know? Again, thank you all for your help!

This long, exquisite staff has been carefully crafted of pristine opal and aquamarine beryl. The core of the staff is made of the smoothest, whitest opal available and the aquamarine hued crystal glistens with Aquamantic power at the faintest hint of sunlight. The beryl, starting with a sharp point at the bottom, spirals its way around the opal which forms the majority of the object’s length. Splitting from one another at the top of the shaft, the two streams cross once before looping around and meeting in an oblong circle, with a pristine white pearl set between the two ends. Nestled on the interior of the opening beneath, sits a small figurine of a dragon turtle fashioned of pure gold. Along the exterior of the oblong loop are a few gentle curls of gemstone creating some cresting waves.

Sounds good!
Lilia2011-08-07 17:53:24
A bit nitpicky, but a circle cannot be oblong. By definition, a circle is perfectly round. I would suggest 'graceful oval' to replace 'oblong circle' and simply 'oval' to replace 'oblong loop'.
Ytran2011-08-07 18:52:27
QUOTE (Lilia @ Aug 7 2011, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bit nitpicky, but a circle cannot be oblong. By definition, a circle is perfectly round. I would suggest 'graceful oval' to replace 'oblong circle' and simply 'oval' to replace 'oblong loop'.

It is a circle in the hyperbolic plane transposed into Euclidean space, clearly.
Kalegyne2011-08-07 19:48:44
QUOTE (Ytran @ Aug 7 2011, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a circle in the hyperbolic plane transposed into Euclidean space, clearly.

CLEARLY.