Tattoo setup advice

by Calixa

Back to Combat Guide.

Calixa2011-07-27 15:25:47
I've seen some tattoo setups being posted in the bodyscan thread (still can't get over how awesome this is to have, plus mobs with resistances, oh my!). Now I was wondering what people would suggest after the revamp in terms of types and weights.

One constant I've seen in every setup is Interference. Is summoning such a big issue that everyone takes it? Because I'd personally rather use PowerTattoo and have more reserves. I know there are artifacts that do the same but I'm a poor starter.

Then there are the resistance types. Cutting and blunt is the only constant I really saw. Now I have no idea what other damage types you often see in combat. So I'd like some advice on that.

Lastly, DamageBuff. Since I still bash quite a bit (leveling / gold for credits) I'd think this would speed up the process for me. But it is damn hard to see damage buffs pay off because you can't see mob HP. Anyone running this and feel it is worth the investment? I see no problem with using it for a while and then later on replacing it.
Razenth2011-07-27 17:17:58
DamageBuff does not affect denizen damage.
Unknown2011-07-27 17:27:35
QUOTE (Razenth @ Jul 27 2011, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DamageBuff does not affect denizen damage.

I'm 90% sure it does. Is this direct from an admin?
Razenth2011-07-27 17:28:13
Tested on Mr. Tentacles, my pet. Does he operate in a different manner than other denizens?
Unknown2011-07-27 17:30:50
QUOTE (Razenth @ Jul 27 2011, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tested on Mr. Tentacles, my pet. Does he operate in a different manner than other denizens?

Not sure, I just know that with no other factors changing, I went from needing 6 rapier hits to kill a standard mountain rockeater to 5 after I got a cutting buff tattoo.

If you're on the fence with interference, I'd just go with power. Summon resistance is nice but can also sometimes screw you, like if you're locked down and an ally is trying to gust you away. But more power is always more power.
Ytran2011-07-27 17:37:41
QUOTE (Razenth @ Jul 27 2011, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you file a bug report? Seems like it really should be.
Janalon2011-07-27 17:55:22
First of all, my MANY MANY THANKS for BodyScan (which I still consider an extension of REPORT 585). Without it, we wouldn't even be talking tattoo strategies.

First, let me begin that I am currently uncertain whether DamageBuff tattoos add damage to PVE combat. Had some early tests with adding both DamageBuff cutting & Blunt in increments and checking for damage increase on my beast. At that time, Buff did not seem to have an impact. ANNOUNCE 1797 mentions "Buff Tattoos will correctly give DMP again," which leads me to believe it will now properly work in PVE situations.

Either way, there are many common sources of Buff DMP: 10 war blessing, 5 kirigami, 5 darkbeer. This should automatically bring you up to 20 Buff DMP. Due to DMP weighting, a 20-weight tattoo will yield 1 Buff DMP. So therefore go with the full 100-weight tat for DamageBuff. I'd select the damage types where you plan to output the most health damage. For me, that was cutting (nekai), blunt (unarmed, kicks), and asphyxiation (choke, oothai). Other guilds might be able to streamline, and get away with buffing fewer damage types.

DamageAbsorption should be based on 1) shortcomings in resistance DMP due to skills, armour, blessings, & consumables (basically the DEFS you plan to have while doing a typical hunt), 2) racial disadvantages to damage type, and 3) the damage types of the enemies you plan to fight. Unfortunately there is no in-game mechanic to know much about a mob's damage type output, other than reading their attack lines and guessing. Mob damage output might be another considerable consideration if there was a more easy way to scan that information.

I already receive tons of resistance DMP against cutting/blunt. Enough that additional DMP will only result an a 1:4 ratio of DMP applied to damage modified. Not very worthwhile. On the other hand, damage types like asphyxiation, psychic, and poison have few skill-based resistances. So I might then consider weigh my BodyScan resistance values against what I know of my racial resistances and enemy's damage types. Lobo's have level 2 susceptiblity to magic... so I went with a full 100-weight. In my mind, most of your tat weight should be placed into DamageAbsorption.

DivineTattoo is a nice perk, especially if you are presently in a Cult. I have no hard data (purely anecdotal), but it appears that Divine also influences karma gain on shrine offerings. Since this doesn't require a specific weight (like PowerTattoo), it might be nice to throw all of your remainder tat weight into this category.

ElementalTattoos seem like a waste. Though, I don't raid due to low demi essence (so my answer is skewed). Perhaps a combatant might be better to give their view of this perk.

Also don't influence, so don't have any expert opinion on Charisma. Though I would imagine that 10% buff for 100 weight is considerable... especially because it doesn't suffer from DMP weighting of DamageAbsorption or DamageBuff. Seems like empower-based Charisma tat would appeal to guard influencers.

Haven't heard about anyone using IllusionPerception. or EnchantedTattoo (which seems like a particular waste). PORTAL SEARCH SHOPS CUBE showed someone offering recharges for a measily 7 gold. Imagine investing 100-weight to have a 5% chance to save on a 7 gold recharge. Utterly worthless. Gold bashing isn't much of an issue... and many people carry their own personal cubes.
Unknown2011-07-27 18:01:26
QUOTE (Janalon @ Jul 27 2011, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haven't heard about anyone using IllusionPerception.

I have tattooed multiple people with this. Seems like a waste of weight to me, though.

Here's my setup:

CODE
Tattoo Power                       Strength
------------                       --------
Cutting Damage Absorption          14 DMP
Blunt Damage Absorption            14 DMP
Magical Damage Absorption          16 DMP
Fire Damage Absorption             10 DMP
Cold Damage Absorption             10 DMP
Poison Damage Absorption           20 DMP
Asphyxiation Damage Absorption     20 DMP
Electrical Damage Absorption       10 DMP
Psychic Damage Absorption          14 DMP
Cutting Damage Buff                5 Buff
Blunt Damage Buff                  5 Buff

Was thinking about adding DivineTattoo or more buffs and skimping on some of the other elemental or physical absorption depending on how things work out, but I'm currently hunting quite a bit on a probably-futile experience binge. Skimped on Elemental/Psychic because of Psymet/Harmony being ridiculous, and also left my buffs at 5 due to my access to Krakphet in addition to Janalon's listing of buffs. Cover your weaknesses, then push your strengths.
Janalon2011-07-27 18:05:18
QUOTE (Razenth @ Jul 27 2011, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should, but without inherent resistances. Could someone also double-check that kiri, darkbeer, and war blessing also effect PVE?
Xenthos2011-07-27 21:52:46
QUOTE (Razenth @ Jul 27 2011, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does Mr. Tentacles have beast armour? If so, yes, he does.
Razenth2011-07-27 22:45:48
Nope.
Unknown2011-08-04 20:35:14
This is what I'm considering for a tattoo set up for my demigod aslaran Aquamancer:
CODE
Powers:
Damage protection from cutting damage. 100 weight
Damage protection from blunt damage.  100 weight
Damage protection from magical damage.  75 weight
Damage protection from fire damage. 100 weight
Damage protection from lightning damage. 75 weight
Influence bonus for empowering. 100 weight.
Offering bonus. 100 weight.

With this in mind, should I consider trading in lightning/magical damage protections for a staff buff/illusion?

I want/need to keep the divine tattoo, fire, and blunt damage absorptions. I was told blunt was a good idea for mobs.

Does the empower tattoo make a lot of difference?
Razenth2011-08-04 20:45:46
Get an aphyxiation damage boost!
Unknown2011-08-04 21:02:32
QUOTE (Razenth @ Aug 4 2011, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get an aphyxiation damage boost!

I'm wondering if we won't just see an influx in the use of breathing.
Sylphas2011-08-05 00:23:12
QUOTE (Kayte @ Aug 4 2011, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm wondering if we won't just see an influx in the use of breathing.

Breathing isn't the easiest thing to use. You can keep it up with a system and gag it, sure, but it's still basically down whenever you're off balance, since whatever you did cleared it and you can't put it up off balance. It'll take practice to time it right, it's not something you can just turn on and forget about.
Unknown2011-08-05 00:27:20
Breathing is impractical to use even if you gag it and such. Unless you decide to just stop fighting, and even then it's risky.
vorld2011-08-05 19:22:13
enchanted tattoo is so not worth it. No clue about the illusion tattoo though
Janalon2011-08-05 20:02:42
I'd be curious to see a new tattoo type that confers +1 alchohol tolerance for a 100-weight tat. The idea would be to give more tolerance to support getting increased benefit from an Amber and Dark Malt DMP strategy... maybe stacking effects with Dramatics Sobriety and the Charm of Clangoru. If nothing else... it would be more 'interesting' than enchanted tat.
vorld2011-08-05 20:06:34
QUOTE (Janalon @ Aug 5 2011, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be curious to see a new tattoo type that confers +1 alchohol tolerance for a 100-weight tat. The idea would be to give more tolerance to support getting increased benefit from an Amber and Dark Malt DMP strategy... maybe stacking effects with Dramatics Sobriety and the Charm of Clangoru. If nothing else... it would be more 'interesting' than enchanted tat.

Interesting idea Janalon
Janalon2011-08-05 20:28:59
QUOTE (vorld @ Aug 5 2011, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting idea Janalon

Somebody wanna Envoy it?