we should adjust weapon auras for damage types, how strong excorable
should be against non-undead as there weren't that many angelic mobs to
balance against the many undead/soulless mobs, how much strength and
weakness there should be for particular types of mobs, whether we should
incorporate the new damage types into races, constructs and construct
powers, what skillsets should or shouldn't have spells to give
resistances, and many other aspects.

... as with anything new, we don't want to whiplash back and forth with
changes and updates and plan to make adjustments over time.

... So have patience, and perhaps use the envoy reports to address some of
the more overarching concerns.

Changes like monk tattoos, bodyscan full, mob damage resistances, new damage types, mage tuning, etc. have pointed Lusternia in new directions regarding how damage types are utilized. I'd love to hear new ideas how to enhance and new skills/arties to further develop the full implementation of damage types into the game. Hopefully the admin will have an open ear to these suggestions, or an envoy or two can champion a few causes.
Janalon2011-07-24 13:37:44
Low/High Magic already provides DMP to magic resistance. Following the AB's, it would also be interesting to have LowMagic give some additional defense to Poison and Asphyxiation AND HighMagic defense against Divinus and Excorable damage types.

Though I suppose you could also argue that HM protect against the elements rather than cosmic, though there are already so many commonly shares sources for fire, cold, electricity (proofs & potions).

This change would further differentiate the difference between High/Low, and additional methods for customization, and provide defenses against skills that don't have much in the way of common available & currently implemented DMP.

PS. I'd also love to give REPORT 596 another think through (also widening the discussion to potions).
Unknown2011-07-24 13:45:09
One concern I've heard is the imbalance of mages being able to tune their staff damage types for free, while warriors (and monks) must use expensive artifact runes to modify damage types, further accentuating how warriors are the most expensive archetype.
Unknown2011-07-24 14:02:33
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jul 24 2011, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One concern I've heard is the imbalance of mages being able to tune their staff damage types for free, while warriors (and monks) must use expensive artifact runes to modify damage types, further accentuating how warriors are the most expensive archetype.

Not related:
I'd go for a rune/artifact that allowed me to tune my staff without a power cost or reduced eq. >.>
Janalon2011-07-24 14:22:39
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jul 24 2011, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Though, you would think elemental mages (and druids) would have mastery over their domain. Though, there needs to be a balance between verisimilitude & game mechanics. I think two things need to happen for monks/warriors. First, elemental runes need to be tweaked.

I'd propose Damage Type Mod Great Runes increase in effectiveness from 1/3 mod up to 40% for one-handed, AND 1/6 to 20% on two-handed. Credit prices should scale accordingly, maybe from 250 to 350 credits.

There needs to be some entry level elemental mod runes. Maybe a mid-tier for 30% one-handed/15% two-handed for 250 credits. AND a low tier of 20% one-handed/ 10% two-handed for 150 credits. Of course, everything would be artifact upgrade-able.

SECONDLY, I would love to see monk/warrior secondary/tertrary skillset provide another 10-20% damage mod. For example, psymet's could imbue their weapons with a slight psychic aura (maybe even take the place of Double Pain). OR stealth monks could concoct an oil that would provide poison damage type.

Each monk/warrior guild would have one or two mutually exclusive options to explore other damage types.

Eventru2011-07-24 14:25:19
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jul 24 2011, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tune and weapon runes should not be compared - we do not consider them in any way equal, afaik.
Xenthos2011-07-24 14:26:18
Oh god, please don't make elemental runes more expensive unless you're going to allow us to change their types (ie, just buying 1 rune per weapon and telling it whether to be elemental or magic or poison on demand, ala tuning).

They're already 250 credits per and you need 2 of each type per weapon combination (just to get 33% converted, currently).

Fire, Cold, Electricity, Magic, Poison sets you back 2,500 credits right now. Why would anyone want to make that more expensive? sad.gif
Unknown2011-07-24 14:42:06
No, they're not equal. They should be more so.
Xenthos2011-07-24 14:45:02
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jul 24 2011, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure (or at least hopeful) that they're planning something that are not weapon runes to help address at least some of this. Not sure what, but I haven't given up on that one yet.

That said, being able to tune elementals would make them much more appealing under the current system; as is, if you pop on an elemental, you're making some mobs weaker and some more resistant to what you just put on. And you are stuck with that (unless you buy pliers).
Eventru2011-07-24 14:45:33
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Jul 24 2011, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I don't really agree that warriors should have to pay, in credits, to get what we've given others for free (a secondary damage-type).

And by "equal", I suppose I should have said "comparable".

They just aren't fit for comparison.
Ardmore2011-07-24 14:45:51
I don't think any class should be able to change their damage type on the fly. Tune to what you want, you need to change it? Go back to the Nexus (or something) and change it again.

QUOTE (Eventru @ Jul 24 2011, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, I don't really agree that warriors should have to pay, in credits, to get what we've given others for free (a secondary damage-type).

And by "equal", I suppose I should have said "comparable".

They just aren't fit for comparison.

I do. I think they should have to pay credits or the whole wounding system should be completely revamped. It's not fair for them to be able to do high damage and high wounds because they can jump to a specific weakness of an enemy.
Xenthos2011-07-24 14:46:14
QUOTE (Eventru @ Jul 24 2011, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

superninja.gif
Eventru2011-07-24 14:50:14
QUOTE (Ardmore @ Jul 24 2011, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think any class should be able to change their damage type on the fly. Tune to what you want, you need to change it? Go back to the Nexus (or something) and change it again.

I do. I think they should have to pay credits or the whole wounding system should be completely revamped. It's not fair for them to be able to do high damage and high wounds because they can jump to a specific weakness of an enemy.

Well, if an elemental weakness is causing increased wounds, then that may or may not be something that needs to be considered/addressed. I'd never heard of it occurring before, so I'm a wee bit skeptical.

However, note that I've never said they will (or that I think they should) get any variation of tuning. I rather doubt we'll see it in any other archetype, and monks/warriors, least of all, need such an advantage.
Ardmore2011-07-24 14:52:31
QUOTE (Eventru @ Jul 24 2011, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, if an elemental weakness is causing increased wounds, then that may or may not be something that needs to be considered/addressed. I'd never heard of it occurring before, so I'm a wee bit skeptical.

However, note that I've never said they will (or that I think they should) get any variation of tuning. I rather doubt we'll see it in any other archetype, and monks/warriors, least of all, need such an advantage.

Er, I wasn't referring to it increasing wounds. I was saying most people that do good wounds do pitiful damage. If they get the choice to, on the fly, switch to fire/lightning damage, they will still do those good wounds, and also decent damage against racial weaknesses.

That's the only thing I'm worried about.
Eventru2011-07-24 14:55:38
QUOTE (Ardmore @ Jul 24 2011, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er, I wasn't referring to it increasing wounds. I was saying most people that do good wounds do pitiful damage. If they get the choice to, on the fly, switch to fire/lightning damage, they will still do those good wounds, and also decent damage against racial weaknesses.

That's the only thing I'm worried about.

Ahh, I was going to say...

I don't know, myself, what is going to come for warriors (sorry guys, my crystal ball is in the shop). I suspect, however, being able to pick from any and all damage types and randomly change them mid-combat as though they were mages (who can only pick between their own damage types - 3 for celest/mag 2 for gaudi/halli) isn't particularly likely.
Ardmore2011-07-24 14:57:36
QUOTE (Eventru @ Jul 24 2011, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh, I was going to say...

I don't know, myself, what is going to come for warriors (sorry guys, my crystal ball is in the shop). I suspect, however, being able to pick from any and all damage types and randomly change them mid-combat as though they were mages (who can only pick between their own damage types - 3 for celest/mag 2 for gaudi/halli) isn't particularly likely.

hug.gif
Janalon2011-07-24 15:02:20
Other new ideas?
Enyalida2011-07-24 15:09:18
I think that the poison dmp from resilience be bumped up to 10 or 15, and there be an item introduced that (on a consumable basis) provides the other 15 or 10, for a total of 25 common dmp to poison. There should also be asphyx available to everyone (not just lowmagic), though less then poison or the elements because of hold breath.

10dmp may be fine for the cosmic protection, though a magical 'proofing' for robes would be cool.
Unknown2011-07-24 15:54:59
Just to throw in my cents worth.

Runes aren't supposed to be something you need to be a combatant. Yes, due to the amount of runes that are being used now, it does give people an edge to have them. However, you can't possibly compare the tuning skill we have/our staves to weapon runes. Why?

1. Weapon runes, in the end, are optional. I've seen combatants do well without them.
2. We already had the damage types, the skill just adds to our ability to vary how the damage is sourced.
Ardmore2011-07-24 16:17:40
I still think you should have to set the staff's tuning when creating it!

Edit: Maybe. I'm still trying to think of the different scenarios. My opinion might change.