LustyTBG

by Enyalida

Back to The Real World.

Enyalida2011-07-12 22:47:43
A friend who plays lusty (but not forums) and I are working on writing up a fan-made table top game based fairly loosely on Lusternia. We're rewriting a choice few of the classes (taking out wounding rules, for instance) and toning down the speed of combat a lot, but it's looking pretty great so far!

One of the things we are doing is setting the governmental style of each faction. We didn't really like how some of the conflict stuff would work out in a tbg setting, so we're changing villages and orders. Because of this, there isn't any reason to have different governmental styles available, because they won't have any mechanical effect. We are, however, going to use actual players as the leaders of each org, and will be writing out a character sheet and statting each one out. This isn't necessarily based on that person's actual skill as a leader IG, it's both that and how they mesh with the way we are setting orgs! Our thoughts on that so far:

The Glorious Empire of Magnagora - Emperor: Ixion (Ur'Guard)
The Federal Collective of Hallifax - Steward: Wuylinfe? (Institute)
The Holy Principality of Celest - Prince/Princess: ?
The Tribal Conclave of Serenwilde - Seneschal : ?
The Free Cooperative of Gaudiguch - Emmisary: ?
The ??? Dominion? of Glomdoring - Marshal: Narynth (Blacktalon)

I haven't played in the higher political structures of any nation besides Serenwilde, so I'm not sure who to pick for each. We tried to capture the BASIC feeling of each org and figure out who makes the most sense. We need some input! The people picked don't have to be recent players or players who were even leaders, just someone who personifies the concept.

For Glomdoring, we thought it felt more... military then Serenwilde, which is why we elected to use the 'Marshal' title there, but we aren't sure what to call the government.

Keep in mind that these org titles aren't the names of each org, those are still the same "Celest, Reassurance of Light" and so on. These are the governments of each nation.
Diamondais2011-07-12 22:57:31
Probably doesn't matter, but Narynth is Ebonguard now. ninja.gif

Neat, otherwise!
Enyalida2011-07-12 23:03:25
As it develops it will be posted here: http://lustyrpg.wikispaces.com/

All that's up is races. It will look a bit funky, but we're trying to make each stat actually useful, and change the way racial balancing works. For instance, look at Aslaran! 4 is the baseline for any given stat (1-10), and aslarans have a substantial boost to both dexterity and wits. This falls in line with them in Lusternia proper because every two points of dex/wits you have reduces the time it takes physical and mental actions respectively to complete. The game will be based of something like dramatic tics that aren't necessarily a set amount of time each, but that's a pretty good good boost! Stat boosting/changing will actually be a lot better in this game, it's based loosly off of the whitewolf dicepooling system. For instance, you will have your stats, and then your 'abilities'. Some of the common skills are being transmuted into these ability scores, like resilience for resisting physical damage, or 'enlightenment' which will work like discipline does for power, changing the speed at which you regenerate power. Power will also be more of a hot item in the tbg, and resources will be more tight!

On that note, artifacts are being reworked (of course!), to make them more rare and more an object of combat. We came up with a reason for the great runes to work (it has to do with cool metaphysics and godly essence) but some of the others will be either very hard to make, or ancient treasures that are coveted by all orgs. For instance, an artfact we're considering is the Scrying mirror (scrying works different also, long story). It could take the form of a silver basin instead of a mirror and is EXTREMLY rare. If your org came into possession of one, it would be a powerful weapon against your enemies, as you gaze into it to search them out all at once, and without them noticing.
Enyalida2011-07-12 23:04:24
Yeah, we thought it was more appropriate for her to be a druid, and she was there for a while (rewriiiiite druids, yay!).
Unknown2011-07-12 23:39:43
Oh. She already posted it for me. Thanks Enya.
I'm the mastermind behind this little project, with help from Enya and a few of my other tabletop players. As an experienced DM and avid fan of roleplaying games I felt that Lusternia needed it's own tabletop game. I wil-l be making regular updates to the wiki so please feel free to give me feedback

"Loosely" based is a bit harsh. I'm trying to keep as much of the original feel of the game intact as possible. The biggest change in terms of mechanics is the increase in versatility. While lusty has a truly impressive skill set with varied and interesting game mechanics a human GM, who has the ability to moderate creative uses of abilities on the spot, each class can have greater out of combat utility. Telekines, for instance, will be able to move around loose objects, perhaps pulling a nearby couch into the path of a charging Tae'dae.

More specific overhauls include a full separation of Wicca and Druidry (at Enya's demand) and total rewrites of Astrology and Warrior combat in order to accommodate more simple mechanics. In particular, warrior Primary skill will now be Spellblade-like weapon magic based around their faction's core stackable afflictions. In particular:
Paladins: Crusader
Serenguard: Ghostwarrior
Ebonguard: Nightstalker
Ur'Guard: Deathknight
Sentinels: Timeguard
Templar: Enforcer

So far Cosmic Magic and it's specialties, Elemental Magic and it's specialties, Astrology, and High Magic are done, as are races and most of the mechanics. I'll be posting to the wiki regularly, so please check it out and give me any suggestions that you might have.
Lendren2011-07-13 00:36:19
I don't have much to contribute to this, but I did want to note I once wrote up notes for using Lusternia as the setting for a tabletop RPG, using a very loose rules-light system. I never went ahead with it though because there's just too much brain-dump that'd be required for the players to absorb the setting (my group doesn't play Lusternia and is not likely to ever try) and without that there'd be no point. Instead, I have shamelessly stolen some ideas from Lusternia for other games. For instance, an ancient sorcerer in a published Call of Cthulhu adventure, Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep, had most of Highmagic in addition to his CoC spells in my version. (Surprisingly, Pentagram ended up being the thing that decided the battle, since none of the PCs had comparable skills.)
Enyalida2011-07-13 00:59:23
Shielding is going to work more like reflection, and be far less prevalent. Because things are going to take longer and curing will be harder (no rapid guzzling potions, applying salves, and eating herbs all at once, how many arms do you have?), lots of things are going to be toned down, and having a shield that totally cuts out attacks would be pretty intense. Passive shielding and similar effects, for the most part, will be doing slow auto-reflections that work almost exactly as reflections do in Lusty.
Unknown2011-07-13 01:00:43
Part of my reason for starting work on this fangame is to promote the game proper. I don't really feel like players need to absorb an ENTIRE setting in order to play a tabletop game (if that were the case then my group could never play Exalted). That said I am going to do a simplified write-up for the major history of the game and pertinent parts of the setting.

Also, Shielding is going to work more along the lines of Reflection, eating a single attack. Thanks to the slowed down pace of combat in the tabletop, this is still a valuable ability, though hardly a gamebreaker.
Unknown2011-07-13 01:01:03
Stop ninja-ing me Enya.
Arel2011-07-13 01:03:51
Federal Collective of Hallifax doesn't much match with the feel of Hallifax, in my opinion. Federal means a centralized government of a union of states, which Hallifax really isn't. Also, collective could work, though I think the people who are familiar with the mythos of Hallifax would differentiate the Collective as an entity from the city of Hallifax. Commonwealth would work, a lot of people already call it "the Commonwealth".

I've always thought of Xenthos as the iconic leader of Glomdoring, but I guess that's ancient history now. tongue.gif
Unknown2011-07-13 01:08:34
I like the Commonwealth, but it needs an adjective.
Any suggestions for The Commonwealth of Hallifax?
Jack2011-07-13 01:11:23
QUOTE (Arel @ Jul 13 2011, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Federal Collective of Hallifax doesn't much match with the feel of Hallifax, in my opinion. Federal means a centralized government of a union of states, which Hallifax really isn't. Also, collective could work, though I think the people who are familiar with the mythos of Hallifax would differentiate the Collective as an entity from the city of Hallifax. Commonwealth would work, a lot of people already call it "the Commonwealth".

I've always thought of Xenthos as the iconic leader of Glomdoring, but I guess that's ancient history now. tongue.gif

You ain't alone. Forever, Xenthos shall represent Glomdoring, Nejii Serenwilde, and Daevos Magnagora.
Arel2011-07-13 01:16:26
QUOTE (foolofsound @ Jul 12 2011, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the Commonwealth, but it needs an adjective.
Any suggestions for The Commonwealth of Hallifax?

I can't think of any good adjectives right now sad.gif I'll post one if I think of one any no one else has a better suggestion.

QUOTE (Jack @ Jul 12 2011, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You ain't alone. Forever, Xenthos shall represent Glomdoring, Nejii Serenwilde, and Daevos Magnagora.

I agree, but I guess that's pretty old school.

For Celest leaders, Malicia is the first one who comes to mind (not sure if she was ever CL, though). I remember Rhysus from way back when, but I'm not sure how representative he actually was of Celest.
Jack2011-07-13 01:18:30
Rhysus represented Celest pretty well roleplay-wise, though he did lean towards the racist/zealot side of things. I don't think Celest's had anyone as iconic as Xenthos or Daevos, though.
Neos2011-07-13 01:37:21
QUOTE (Jack @ Jul 12 2011, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rhysus represented Celest pretty well roleplay-wise, though he did lean towards the racist/zealot side of things. I don't think Celest's had anyone as iconic as Xenthos or Daevos, though.

Forren or Catarin. imo
Enyalida2011-07-13 01:53:11
QUOTE (Arel @ Jul 12 2011, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't think of any good adjectives right now sad.gif I'll post one if I think of one any no one else has a better suggestion.

I agree, but I guess that's pretty old school.

For Celest leaders, Malicia is the first one who comes to mind (not sure if she was ever CL, though). I remember Rhysus from way back when, but I'm not sure how representative he actually was of Celest.

We thought of Malicia, actually. All the others were before my time.
Daraius2011-07-13 02:19:31
Cririk Adom is the only governor of Hallifax that's really embodied the city's ideals, but that's to be expected since we're so young still. Sylandra was my favorite, though. wub.gif wub.gif cry.gif
Unknown2011-07-13 03:00:14
Magnagora - Emperor: Ixion, Thoros, or Daevos
Celest - Prince/Princess: Malicia. I forget if Soll ever took that position. Edit: Oh! Forren. Hrm. Catarin's good too.
Serenwilde - Seneschal : Nejii
Glomdoring - Marshal: Xenthos
Jack2011-07-13 03:29:50
QUOTE (AquaNeos @ Jul 13 2011, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forren or Catarin. imo

Yeah, good point. I'd go for Forren.

EDIT: Malicia's exempt because she used to be Seren. THE OLDBIES NEVER FORGET, TRAITOR
Enyalida2011-07-13 04:13:17
I/we know almost nothing about Forren, and don't really have a group of people to ask, pm one of us a dossier or something, I guess. Basic stuff like Race (predominant) and guild (iconic) would be great, as well as general personality in the role and style.