Weapon runes

by Liok

Back to Combat Guide.

Liok2011-07-07 20:53:14
After getting everything necessary for actually getting into combat skillwise, and transing forging, I'll have about 200 credits left over. I'd like to start about runing my katana, but I'm not entirely sure which runes would give the most improvement per investment. After speaking with Ixion, he suggested I focus on the damage modifier runes. However, I'd like to save those for a little later, when I could get both of them at once, just for the sake of my own weird sanity.

So, as an Aslaran Pureblade, should I grab two 5% wounding runes, or 2 +5 stats? Why do you suggest the choice you did?

As for my thoughts (however ignorant they may be), I'm leaning towards the +5 stats (my next purchase would be two 5% wounding runes, then upgrade stats, then upgrade runes, etc). This way, I can temper down some precision and temper up some speed.

My katana's stats right now are 517 precision, 204 speed, and the rest is in damage (204 speed ensures I'm hitting in the 200-209 speed bracket with deathweapon up )

Thanks!
Rivius2011-07-08 00:40:26
Hard to say. Just keep in mind that you need to temper down the first time you rune. I'd personally advise going for the +10s and 10% wounding over the 5% ones, since that's where you really notice a difference. Also, I guess damage mod runes depend mostly on your usual damage output so they can either be a total waste of credits or a decent investment.

I'd personally put wounds and stats first.
Binjo2011-07-08 03:27:10
Tempering down is in fact the source of lameness. Iirc a max 1h master weapon is 485 aggregate. You need 463 to rune anything so if you tempered for lowest damage as many do you'renot going to gain any net precision until level three stats. At level one stats you're losing net Stats even including damage. I'm not sure if you gain back the wounding you lose through tempering down with wounding runes but based on what rivius said it seems like the moral is do not buy level one warrior runes of either type.
Rivius2011-07-08 03:43:53
Level 2 is decent, really. But yes, stay away from level 1. While a cheap way to make a sword arti'd, it actually makes your weapons WORSE tongue.gif
Unknown2011-07-08 05:05:07
Best way to make a sword artie is to attach bleed runes anyway. Then you can just pliar around the other runes.
Qistrel2011-07-08 09:12:10
Le hijack.

1. Does a great rune of gripping prevent you from unwielding due to a broken arm?
2. Is there any great rune that you can put on a shield? I prefer the rp of having a shield to having a cudgel with a shield rune.
Unknown2011-07-08 10:24:35
Yeah, that's one of it's intended purpose. You should be able to hold unto your weapon with a broken arm.
Qistrel2011-07-08 12:34:32
QUOTE (Edenwe @ Jul 8 2011, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, that's one of it's intended purpose. You should be able to hold unto your weapon with a broken arm.

Thanks, the phrase 'difficult to drop' was confusing me. Heh.

Incidentally, why don't I see more customised cudgels/athames around? It'll be a long time before I have credits to spare for such a thing, but I know there are far richer people around than me.
Enyalida2011-07-08 14:13:48
QUOTE (Starfire Q @ Jul 8 2011, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Le hijack.

1. Does a great rune of gripping prevent you from unwielding due to a broken arm?
2. Is there any great rune that you can put on a shield? I prefer the rp of having a shield to having a cudgel with a shield rune.

If you just want number one, get fist sigils, they do that exact thing.
Attach a rune of gripping to your shield to make it artifact, that would do it, and it's cheap.
Unknown2011-07-08 14:14:02
QUOTE (Starfire Q @ Jul 8 2011, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are none for that purpose.

EDIT: Oh, wait, nevermind. Though I'd never heard of anyone actually attaching a rune to a shield before, guess that's just because it's a rarity.
Qistrel2011-07-08 19:14:45
QUOTE (Enyalida @ Jul 8 2011, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you just want number one, get fist sigils, they do that exact thing.
Attach a rune of gripping to your shield to make it artifact, that would do it, and it's cheap.

Thanks! And...can you attach a great rune of shielding to a shield? That would be hilarious. And expensive. But hilarious.
Zilias2011-07-11 15:44:12
I am still new to runes but I did learn that the 5/5/5 stat runes are really not worth it due to the decrease from forgin down. The immediate nice thing about runes is that they make your weapons permenant.

I am a BM Warrior and i went Puissant Wounding first. It is helping stack wounds a little but its still not a whole lot. Really, it kind of depends on your focus whether you want stats or wounds. Also, whether they are for hunting or PVP.
Unknown2011-08-09 22:28:22
I'm gonna jack this thread for a second.

I'm an Aslaran Serenguard Pureblade with all of the essential skills so +40/+44/+20 on my unartied katana already, which I assume will make the tempering down hurt less.

I've got about 425 credits, and no weapon runes. I want to customize my katana. Which runes should I buy to get the most dead for my creds on a 375 credit budget?

Thanks!
Unknown2011-08-09 23:26:26
2 +5's and a bleed rune.

Or save some more.
Unknown2011-08-09 23:44:24
QUOTE (Akeley @ Aug 9 2011, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm gonna jack this thread for a second.

I'm an Aslaran Serenguard Pureblade with all of the essential skills so +40/+44/+20 on my unartied katana already, which I assume will make the tempering down hurt less.

I've got about 425 credits, and no weapon runes. I want to customize my katana. Which runes should I buy to get the most dead for my creds on a 375 credit budget?

Thanks!

Meeeemories....

Anyway, I'd save a bit more until you can slap +10s on it, personally. But it wouldn't be the end of the world to get 5s and upgrade later either. The aslaran balance bonus should help offset some of the requisite speed.
Unknown2011-08-24 02:40:13
I had misspelled tendon in my maneuver
Unknown2012-01-08 01:57:58
Hijacking an old thread since I don't want to create a new one with a similar topic. >_>

As I was purchasing weapon runes, I realized a small tidbit of info that made me hesitate on purchasing a second damage type rune:

NOTE: Damage type modifier runes will change 1/3 the damage type of that
weapon to the indicated damage for one-handed weapons. The other
2/3 will be normal. (For two-handed weapons, it will modify 1/6 of
the damage, though you can place two damage type mod runes on it.)
One rune of this type per one-handed weapon. Two-handed weapons
can have two.

So my question is whether or not if it is better, in regards to two-handed weapons and damage type runes, to purchase two of the same elemental damage runes (lightning and lightning) or purchase two different damage type runes (like lightning and fire)?
Xenthos2012-01-08 02:46:07
Edenwe:

Hijacking an old thread since I don't want to create a new one with a similar topic. >_>

As I was purchasing weapon runes, I realized a small tidbit of info that made me hesitate on purchasing a second damage type rune:

NOTE: Damage type modifier runes will change 1/3 the damage type of that
weapon to the indicated damage for one-handed weapons. The other
2/3 will be normal. (For two-handed weapons, it will modify 1/6 of
the damage, though you can place two damage type mod runes on it.)
One rune of this type per one-handed weapon. Two-handed weapons
can have two.

So my question is whether or not if it is better, in regards to two-handed weapons and damage type runes, to purchase two of the same elemental damage runes (lightning and lightning) or purchase two different damage type runes (like lightning and fire)?

Depends entirely on what you are going for. If you want lightning runes in order to maximize electric damage, then you'll want 2 lightning runes. If you want a mix of poison and electricity (to better adjust your weapon towards a couple of different opponents), then do that.

Keep in mind that once you put them on you cannot take them off again without buying pliers, so be very careful with this decision, especially considering NPC resistances.

That said, given NPC resistances, it might be best to pick two different damage types; you're more likely to 'average out' your damage that way.
Unknown2012-01-08 04:49:53
I've heard that many races are inherently weak towards Fire damage, but it's also really easy to acquire resistance against this type of damage. How much of an impact does racial weakness and resistance have towards elemental damage?
Unknown2012-01-08 05:06:38
7% per level, I believe.

Fire, Magic, or Poison are probably the best choices. Many races are weak to Fire, but players can get a minimum of 25 points of DMP. Only druids/wiccans/commune warriors have any major resistance to poison (minimum 6 DMP), and only guardians/moondancers/moonwarriors have major resistance to Magic (minimum 16 DMP). Those with Poison resist tend to have a lot though (minimum 31 DMP)