Senate, this is insane

by Enyalida

Back to The Real World.

Enyalida2011-07-03 04:28:49
Bill in senate right now that would effectively make posting song lyrics in your facebook statuses be a felony, with a prison time of 5 year. In essence, it amends copyright law to have "public performance" in the definition of violation instead of just "distribution". So, if your niece is singing a Lady Gaga song, and you post a cute video of that to YouTube, you aren't distributing, but you ARE 'publicly performing'. The way it is worded looks to make it retroactive, and (get this), it doesn't have to be ten strikes o the same thing. It's ten strikes AT ALL. Quoted ten song lyrics ever anywhere on the internet? FELON. Made a satirical video about Disney, using their clips (totally legal currently, satire gets that!). FELON.

In the actual bill text, it says that you need ten strikes plus the damages have to be valued over $2,500, OR it has to have a total licensing cost of $5,000 or more. Problem there is that any company can just say that they charge $5,000 for a public performance license (that's cheap, actually), and SHAZAM. You are a FELON.

Here is the actual bill text from open congress (just click the bill text link on that page):
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show

Here is a petition/automailer to protest:
http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/ten_s...mp;rd=1&t=1
Ytran2011-07-03 04:47:01
QUOTE (Enyalida @ Jul 2 2011, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, if your niece is singing a Lady Gaga song, and you post a cute video of that to YouTube, you aren't distributing, but you ARE 'publicly performing'.

To be fair, this should be considered a felony regardless, albeit for reasons different from what is being presented with this unfathomably stupid bill.

I'm incredibly embarrassed that one of the bill's sponsors is one of my state's elected officials, as well. Excuse me whilst I hide in shame.
Unknown2011-07-03 05:02:46
Sssso lemme get this straight. You either post lyrics or mutter a song to yourself and that makes you a pirate? This stinks of the RIAA.
This is an interesting page.

Also, inb4 modlock.
Fain2011-07-03 07:38:23
How absolutely extraordinary...

Unfortunately, with mod-hat on, I am going to have to close this. Rule 7 of the forum rules prohibits discussion of politics. That is because political discussions usually spiral out of control within three posts: I can hardly see that happening here, but even so.