Text Color Schemes!

by Zalandrus

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Zalandrus2011-07-06 23:49:19
Anybody have any suggestions for good color schemes that makes MUD text easier to read? I've been doing white on black for the longest time, but it still gets tiring fairly quickly.
Lendren2011-07-07 01:32:39
I'm the only voice in the chorus here, but, try black on white. There's a reason that every computer program in the world other than MUDs switched to that more than twenty years ago -- it's a lot easier on the eyes, easier to keep up with, and more natural. You will find the first few days it feels WRONG and you feel like it's impossible to keep up with scrollback. If you soldier through that, when you come out the other side, it'll feel righter than white-on-black ever felt. But almost everyone gives up before those three-or-so days are up.
Vadi2011-07-07 03:03:34
Sounds like Lendren doesn't play at night!
Calixa2011-07-07 14:50:32
Lendren, I was told the other way around at school. For computer monitors, dark background with white text is less staining on the eyes (emits less light). For print however we all print black text on white pages because it costs less and is easier to print that way. A quick search shows though there are tons of different studies with different results so I'd say use whatever you feel most comfortable with.

As for color schemes, go to the color config thing and copy the list of your channels to a notepad file so you can start planning. This is how mine looks. I've cut down the clan list and gave them a more general name so you can understand the reasoning behind the colors.

Your current colour configuration is as follows:
Channel FG BG Sample
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special:
Deathsight 7 0 Gronk has been slain by the might of a baby rat.
Score_Titles 3 0 Princess Marilynth
Score_Border 4 0 --------------------|
Score_Text 7 0 Level:
Score_Values 6 0 81 (77.80%)

Communication:
Says 14 0 You say, "Blah."
Shouts 6 0 You shout, "Blah."
Tells 11 0 You tell Trader Bob, "Blah."
Guildtells 13 0 (Guild): You say, "Blah."
Citytells 8 0 (City): You say, "Blah."
Familytells 6 0 (Family): You say, "Blah."
Ordertells 9 0 (Order): You say, "Blah."
Newbie 10 0 (Newbie): You say, "Blah."
Emotes 7 0 Roark waves hello.
GNT 2 0 (Novice): You say, "Blah."
Squads 15 0 (Squad): You say, "Blah."
Market 5 0 (Market): You say, "Blah."
Team 15 0 (Team): You say, "Blah."
Chesschat 15 0 (Chesschat): You say, "Blah."
Ship 15 0 (Ship): You say, "Blah."
Collegium 15 4 (Collegium): You say, "Blah."
ImportantClan 3 0 (ImportantClan): You say, "Blah."
RegularClan 15 0 (RegularClan): You say, "Blah."
CombatClan 1 0 (CombatClan): You say, "Blah."

Room Descriptions:
Room_Title 3 0 Before the Portal of Fate.
Room_Desc 7 0 The trees loom above you...
Shop_sign 11 0 A shop sign glows here.
Things 6 0 A squirrel scampers about here.
Furniture 7 0 A rickety wooden stool stands here.
Plants 2 0 Sprays of chervil cover the forest floor.
Players 14 0 Estarra is here.
Exits 11 0 You see exits to the north and east.

Player Lists:
Allies 10 0 Estarra, Morgfyre, Terentia.
Enemies 9 0 Lisaera, Roark, Avechna.
Janalon2011-07-07 18:08:38
On a side note... I make heavy use of color-coded echoes with line gagging (not to mention highlighting)... especially for certain afflictions and balances. This way I look for certain color patterns rather than read the text. Speeds up my ability to process a cascading wall of text.
Unknown2011-07-07 18:28:05
^ This.

I even go so far as to simply echo a solid block (fg and bg same colour) for certain balances.
Janalon2011-07-07 20:40:57
QUOTE (Draylor @ Jul 7 2011, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ This.

I even go so far as to simply echo a solid block (fg and bg same colour) for certain balances.

Also known as line gagging. Hey Dray, do you have mudlet? M&M makes gagging especially easy. See below for my of balance echo.:

mm.deleteLineP()
cecho("\\n<< Off Balance >>")
Unknown2011-07-07 20:55:11
QUOTE (Janalon @ Jul 7 2011, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also known as line gagging. Hey Dray, do you have mudlet? M&M makes gagging especially easy. See below for my of balance echo.:

Hehe.

CODE
function debugEcho(type, args)
   deleteBoth()
   cecho("\\n " .. type .. ": " .. args .. "\\n")
end

I have used mmp.deleteLineP() though for the sake of my sanity, I try to stick to my own functions where possible.