Shameless advertising bots

by Lehki

Back to The Real World.

Lehki2011-06-29 04:40:43
I just had to share this, just had this IM conversation few minutes ago.

Session Start (LehkiBug:Ludacrisgurlli): Tue Jun 28 23:38:11 2011 -0400

Ludacrisgurlli: hi

Lehki: hi?

Ludacrisgurlli: Hey what's up? 24/F here. You?

Lehki: 22/M and brb a minute, sorry

Ludacrisgurlli: Hmm. Have we chatted before?

Lehki: I didn't have you on my contact list, so no I don't think so

Ludacrisgurlli: Oh sorrry. l wasnt sure. Butt anyways.. What r u up to?

Lehki: got dragged into a WoW raid because my friends were short a healer

Ludacrisgurlli: Ooo. Im like sooo bored.

Ludacrisgurlli: Hey l got a idea. Ima get on my webcam. Do you wanna watch?

Lehki: uummm, no offense, but not really D:

Ludacrisgurlli: Yeah? Ok you do have to signup for free because its setup thru this site so that l cant be recorded. Ok?

Lehki: huh, that was clever

Ludacrisgurlli: K babe. lts reaI simpIe

Ludacrisgurlli: (Link: http://access.im/6/nikki)http://access.im/6/nikki go there then at the top of the page cIick on the goId button at the top that says JOlN FREE. K?

Lehki: got anything else to say?

Ludacrisgurlli: Also when you signup it will ask for a credit card to verify your age.

Lehki: oh, of course, what better verification of age is there?

Ludacrisgurlli: lt wiII not charge the card at aII. Not even 1 penny. lts just to make sure that your over 18. Alright?

Lehki: no

Ludacrisgurlli: K. When you get finished and Iogged in then view my cam and we can have some fun!!!

Lehki: this was sorta funny, pretty convincing at the start

Ludacrisgurlli: lf you tip me some gold or join me in private l will do anything you ask me to.

Ludacrisgurlli: I mean ANYTHING babe :-X

Lehki: I can think of a few things off hand that I'm almost POSITIVE 'you' wouldn't do.

Ludacrisgurlli: Lets talk on the site when you get in. Hurry up im ready to play.

Ludacrisgurlli: "ludacrisgurlli (ludacrisgurlli)" signed off at Tue Jun 28 23:48:51 2011.

Lehki: I'll just make my own bot to talk to before I do that

I was intending to ask how she/it got my screen name, or who this was, but since I was distracted by WoW it kept responding to my answers with new questions before I could type out my own. Also it had this obnoxious pink on purple text.

Has anybody else seen/heard about this kind of tactic? I wish this had time stamps, so you could see where it delayed waiting for me to respond, and where it took it's time typing out each response. Maybe I might have noticed sooner if my full attention was on it, but I thought it was honestly pretty clever.
Neos2011-06-29 06:05:13
Lehki: I can think of a few things off hand that I'm almost POSITIVE 'you' wouldn't do.

This kinda scares me.
Arix2011-06-29 06:10:03
I shudder to think what Lehki would be into that a bot spawned from the hellish bowels of the internet wouldn't be aware of
Lehki2011-06-29 06:32:50
Okay I'm not that much of a deviant.

I was just going to say something like, "chew off your own toes" or "jam all your loose change up your nose".

Actually this probably isn't helping my case.
Arix2011-06-29 06:40:54
well the first one sounds rather like vore, but I've never heard of a fetish for shoving loose change into one's orifices
Seraku2011-06-29 06:51:35
Ive actually come across a few of these bots before. They randomly send you a request to add them then they start with that whole conversation and BAM, webcam link.
Okin2011-06-29 08:22:44
My sister's MSN account actually got hacked by a bot like this - it started talking to her friends, pretending to be her, and then started linking them to adware. It was really clever, too - saying hi, waiting for a response, asking how they were, waiting for a response, and then sending a "OMG this is hilarious, check it out ".
Daraius2011-06-29 14:51:33
I haven't used any kind of instant messenger since my sophomore year of college, but none of my friends would have been fooled for a second if my account was hacked by a bot that opened with "hi." laugh.gif
Lehki2011-06-29 15:36:36
I've seen some others where I would get IMs from people on my contact list, but it would just be a single comment with the link in it and was pretty blatantly fake.
Arkosa2011-06-29 17:13:18
I've always been kind of curious about the kinds of people who write these bots, or the websites that buy them or whatever. I mean, there must be some point where the guy programming a malware-hawking "cute girl" chat routine in a basement somewhere stops and thinks to himself "oh my god, I am the worst", right?
Daraius2011-06-29 17:16:28
QUOTE (Arkosa @ Jun 29 2011, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always been kind of curious about the kinds of people who write these bots, or the websites that buy them or whatever. I mean, there must be some point where the guy programming a malware-hawking "cute girl" chat routine in a basement somewhere stops and thinks to himself "oh my god, I am the worst", right?

The worst at bullsh!tting how a cute girl types?
Unknown2011-06-29 21:32:36
...sigh, at first I didn't even register her letter replacements as something weird, because I'm so used to reading troll typing quirks.

But yeah, I think the biggest red flag was her opening with what amounts to I'M A GIRL. Trust no internet woman. ninja.gif
Jack2011-07-02 10:59:49
QUOTE (Phoebus @ Jun 29 2011, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But yeah, I think the biggest red flag was her opening with what amounts to I'M A GIRL. Trust no internet woman. ninja.gif

err.gif
Acrune2011-07-11 04:03:02
Thanks for the warning

zoeisthe1 11:30 pm
hi!

me 11:54 pm
hi

zoeisthe1 11:54 pm
Hey what's up? 23/F here. u?

you're a bot

No i am far from a bot

then who are you?

Im nikki. Dont you remember?

me 11:55 pm
nikki who?

zoeisthe1 11:55 pm
Hmm. Have we chattted before?

me 11:55 pm
no

zoeisthe1 11:55 pm
Oh sorrrry. l waasnt sure. Butt anywayyyssss.. What r u up to?

me 11:58 pm
you're definitely a bot

zoeisthe1 11:58 pm
A bot? not hardly babe. Are you?

me 11:59 pm
ok, here is a test. Type tobatonmi backwards

zoeisthe1 11:59 pm
Oooo. lm Iike sooooo bored.
Hey l got a idea.. lma get on my web-cam. Do u wanna watcch?

Abrupt subject change thar laugh.gif
Neos2011-07-11 04:12:19
QUOTE (Acrune @ Jul 11 2011, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the warning

Abrupt subject change thar laugh.gif

You should have said you were a bot. They can't get me, since the only messenger thing I use is Skype.
Daraius2011-07-11 14:14:41
This horrible spelling and weird letter substitution stuff baffles me. Do people actually do that? Is that a thing? Is it more realistic forr a bott 2 ttype like thiss than for it to use an apostrophe or capital letter properly?
Arel2011-07-11 19:25:02
QUOTE (Daraius @ Jul 11 2011, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This horrible spelling and weird letter substitution stuff baffles me. Do people actually do that? Is that a thing? Is it more realistic forr a bott 2 ttype like thiss than for it to use an apostrophe or capital letter properly?

My younger brother's facebook page looks similar to that (worse though), so I guess its realistic.
Everiine2011-07-11 22:11:41
Realistic, but also horribly immature.
Lehki2011-07-15 04:13:32
This afternoon I suddenly started getting hounded by tons of bots, getting IM'd by 1-4 at a time, within minutes of each other. They all have this weird habit of ending their messages with a string of random number/letters. =/

Just keep blocking them all but gawd.
Lehki2011-07-15 04:13:35
This afternoon I suddenly started getting hounded by tons of bots, getting IM'd by 1-4 at a time, within minutes of each other. They all have this weird habit of ending their messages with a string of random number/letters. =/

Just keep blocking them all but gawd.