Config Affmessages

by Shryke

Back to Combat Guide.

Shryke2011-06-26 17:42:05
Does anyone use this mechanic actually? I'm very curious. If someone out there does in fact use it, do you by chance have a list of what exactly -does- have an affmessage echo, and what doesn't?

I know the general idea that any message that isn't semi-masked or masked should have an affmessage behind it if you config it on, but is this how it works in practice? Do entanglements give affmessages too? Etc. Etc.

If anyone could help clear this up for me I'll happily edit this first post to be a useful little reference for future curious folks.

Thanks
Vadi2011-06-26 18:58:20
This might be useful to you: http://forums.lusternia.com/index.php?showtopic=18784

My system doesn't use them, because it was done very poorly for Knight lines last I remember (it'd show the affmessage in the middle, breaking the look and style), didn't show for some afflictions that it should have and had issues revealing things it shouldn't. Much easier to get lines for everything in a complete system for me.
Lilia2011-06-26 19:09:33
In my experience, what does and does not give affmessages is very inconsistent. I have an almost completed curing system written that uses just first aid, which is supposed to mostly rely on affmessages, but I've still had to get symptom and affliction lines for almost everything. Since I only use my first aid system on my alts, who don't do any pvp, it's been very difficult to complete testing.

I would be more than happy to share the system with you, if would like to help test it out. It's written for Mudlet, but since it relies almost exclusively on the built-in first aid system, it should be fairly easy to re-write for any client.
Lilia2011-06-26 19:18:28
QUOTE (Vadi @ Jun 26 2011, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This might be useful to you: http://forums.lusternia.com/index.php?showtopic=18784

My system doesn't use them, because it was done very poorly for Knight lines last I remember (it'd show the affmessage in the middle, breaking the look and style), didn't show for some afflictions that it should have and had issues revealing things it shouldn't. Much easier to get lines for everything in a complete system for me.

There's no need for that. ^You are afflicted with (\\w+)\\.$ will catch everything but the broken warrior lines. The problem is that things that probably should have affmessages, like bashing creatures that afflict with a poison, don't have anything. You also don't get one for something as simple as falling out of a tree and breaking your legs. confused.gif
Xenthos2011-06-26 19:46:21
QUOTE (Lilia @ Jun 26 2011, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's no need for that. ^You are afflicted with (\\w+)\\.$ will catch everything but the broken warrior lines. The problem is that things that probably should have affmessages, like bashing creatures that afflict with a poison, don't have anything. You also don't get one for something as simple as falling out of a tree and breaking your legs. confused.gif

Yeah, that's my problem with it. It was put in, but only half-heartedly, so it's not all that useful. Things that need it (especially NPC bashing) just doesn't have the lines for it to actually be the bare bones of a basic system.
Rivius2011-06-26 20:20:02
It's far too easy to illusion them and far too much hassle to anti-illusion them. Your best bet is to just collect actual trigger lines.
Shryke2011-06-27 03:49:54
It's pretty easy to illusion protect affmessage based tracking because you can easily track whether the message is proceeded by another line instead of the prompt. If you wanna illusion protect against someone weaving multi-line afflictions at a power cost, OK, they can illusion you, but they can illusion almost any system at that point.
Unknown2011-06-27 07:35:27
Affmessages are supposed to be the -very- basics of afflictions, basically as a 101 into proper curing.

It was never the intent that every aff should have an aff message, and it's been confirmed as such over envoys. Sior pretty much said (to the best of my memory) that he doesn't want any system based off of affmessages and doesn't have any sympathy for people that want to do it.

Thinking affmessages to be similar to samples is the proper way to go.
Xenthos2011-06-27 11:43:51
QUOTE (Sahmiam Mes'ard @ Jun 27 2011, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Affmessages are supposed to be the -very- basics of afflictions, basically as a 101 into proper curing.

It was never the intent that every aff should have an aff message, and it's been confirmed as such over envoys. Sior pretty much said (to the best of my memory) that he doesn't want any system based off of affmessages and doesn't have any sympathy for people that want to do it.

They're not even that; if they were to be the basic 101 into proper curing, you'd have it on all NPC afflictions. That is not the case. It's just too narrow in focus to even be a basic 101 (I even have the things on just so I can see where they're firing, and it is so rare to see the message appear when hunting).

Now, you can call it a 'sample,' but what's the point of it as a sample? You can't use it for anything productive. You still have to manually gather all the lines (PvP and NPC, with NPC being the most tedious), so there's no point in using the severely restricted affmessages for... anything, really. Even as a sample.
Lilia2011-06-28 02:43:34
What's the point of having affmessages, along with the curequeue, if not for use in a system?
Lendren2011-06-28 10:28:16
It was intended for that, but the bug with knight messages makes it unusable, so they never bothered to finish it by making it present everywhere it would need to be. It's really just something that didn't ever get completed. It might make things easier for new players trying to manually cure, or to go over their logs to gather triggers while building a system.