Battlerun

by Enyalida

Back to Ideas.

Enyalida2011-06-27 14:47:59
I haven't participated in a huge number of battlerun events, and as it is, I'm not particularly sure I want to. While I like the idea and appreciate the inclusion of a new arena game, it seems to have some issues.

1) The Pinnacle dosn't seem to move around anywhere near enough. It's terribly easy to just stand at the pinnicle killing people over and over as they pop back up in the same spot. If you are a class that does well with staying stationary (like a bard for instance, with octave and perfectfifth), you can inflate your score by corpse camping the same person over and over. The diminishing returns on points make it less feasible as a winning strategy, but it's not particularly fun for the person, or challenging once set up. You could in theory all fight for that spot, making it more of king-of-the-hill, but the way it currently works seems to support a kind of mini-griefing.

2) Compounding the above issue, when you come out of the pinnacle you are both undeffed and totally vulnerable, which means you are likely to just be killed again rapidly before you can raise defenses. For some classes/specs, with multiple powerdefs that don't carry past death, this means you die once and you have to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off just to have a chance to possibly come back. Combined with the stationery pinnacle, this means that most of the classes will be able to slam you out again before you can get up the defs critical to defending against that class, or (for instance, as a monk) without losing momentum. One solution would be to have you pop out with short prismatic, or have you pop out INSIDE the pinnacle (which could be peaced), with a short time to raise defs before leaving or getting kicked from it.

3) Melds drop, which means that melders who die once have to spend time re-terraining when needed, re-melding, and need to either spend a minute or so timing effects, or 8-16 power to raise effects, during which they are without their primary weapon, unlike every other class. OH WAIT, only Druids really need their demesnes to fight, my bad (/bitter). On a serious note, this actually is an issue imo. I understand why demesnes drop (one, it's standard on death;two, demesne sprawling is a part of meld v. meld combat). However, in an event where speed is the core concept, dropping the melder's demesne every time they die means that those chained to a demesne are at a major and somewhat crippling disadvantage.

It seems like one way to solve all three of these issues is to make 'death' in a battlerun event just trueheal you and throw you to the pinnacle via magical movement (still alive). That way melds don't drop, and neither do defs. Unfortunatly, this may be complicated coding, and demesne effects should still drop.