Manse maps

by Aramel

Back to Ideas.

Aramel2011-06-22 01:42:31
This has probably been suggested before, and it would probably be difficult to code via the normal map system, but could we have manses be able to have owner-generated maps? For example, while it may be unfeasible to have game-generated maps, you could make it so that MAP in a manse brings up the normal map window, except the contents are "drawn" by the owner on a room by room basis. You could even use the project system for it. So, for example, I'd just input the following map into the relevant room:

CODE
        -
       / | /
    ---
     | /

/

and for the room north of that I'd input

CODE
        -
       / | /
    ---
     | /

/

This would make larger manses easier to navigate if their owners choose to take the time to draw the map for each room, while simultaneously not burdening the game itself much. It's the equivalent of having a scroll dropped in each room, or a project file for each room, that's called up every time someone does MAP in the manse room. Pretty much completely non-auto-generated. You could make it a manse artifact if you like.
Eventru2011-06-22 03:24:41
Unfortunately, maps have to be done by hand (generally by the builder, or me), every room lined up manually, etcetera.

I don't think, as-is, it would allow that sort of inputting.

The problem with mapping manses is the upkeep - every time someone shifts or adds, it'd need to be fixed.
Aramel2011-06-22 03:35:43
That's exactly what I mean. Make the MAP command in a manse just call up a project file or something, and make the manse owner do it by hand themselves.
Ssaliss2011-06-22 09:38:24
QUOTE (Eventru @ Jun 22 2011, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately, maps have to be done by hand (generally by the builder, or me), every room lined up manually, etcetera.

I don't think, as-is, it would allow that sort of inputting.

The problem with mapping manses is the upkeep - every time someone shifts or adds, it'd need to be fixed.

Would it be possible to extend that exact functionality to the manse owners? Or is it on a basis of "If you can do it in one place, you can do it everywhere"?