Ideas for Family Honour

by Astraea

Back to Ideas.

Astraea2011-06-19 01:19:42
Well, I had this idea (gotten from Tacita, thankyouverymuch, Taci) about what if Liege Lords were able to transfer honour over to their banner houses. For instance it'd be like.

The House's eyes are raised as its honour improves: House Stormcrow has praised House Nightshade, regaling the lands with stories of their triumphs and glories

And it could be transferable in increments of 1k, or 100, or something. I'm trying to think of ways that this could be abuseable, but I can't think of anything too bad. Opinions?
Xenthos2011-06-19 01:20:24
QUOTE (Astraea @ Jun 18 2011, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I had this idea (gotten from Tacita, thankyouverymuch, Taci) about what if Liege Lords were able to transfer honour over to their banner houses. For instance it'd be like.

The House's eyes are raised as its honour improves: House Stormcrow has praised House Nightshade, regaling the lands with stories of their triumphs and glories

And it could be transferable in increments of 1k, or 100, or something. I'm trying to think of ways that this could be abuseable, but I can't think of anything too bad. Opinions?

What's the point?

Banner houses will eventually cap out (supposedly). The only thing to work towards is the 50k which is easy enough to get to, it seems.
Arel2011-06-19 01:43:21
I'd like to see honour gained for family members who publish books and plays (and act in plays that are recorded) earn honour. Might need a minimum (1,000 words for books/10m for plays) but it'd be nice to see family members who don't win prestige contest also able to contribute. Could also have scaling amounts of honour based on length (could go based off of the library's book weight system per words and the admins could decide on length for plays). It also might encourage people to use these features more. I'd actually be motivated to work on writing a book to earn honour instead of influencing guards for it.
Astraea2011-06-19 02:12:31
Agreed! I am so sad about this. It takes forever for me to gain honour, and in the meantime I've published like four books. <.< Granted hopefully they'll get submitted, but still. Far too far in between.
Malicia2011-06-19 13:47:13
Family honour for holding domoth crowns!
Eventru2011-06-19 15:57:36
QUOTE (Malicia @ Jun 19 2011, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Family honour for holding domoth crowns!

chin.gif
Tacita2011-06-19 16:26:31
Ooh, yes. With different house types getting bonuses for different domoths? Say, Honour would get more from Justice or Blood from War.
Malicia2011-06-19 16:52:26
I'd rather if it were any crown. It's the same effort involved and scrambling the 'right' domoth is just adding agony.
Aramel2011-06-20 07:37:49
QUOTE (Eventru @ Jun 19 2011, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chin.gif

Do not want. It's not like holding a domoth crown in practice measures familial power, more like org power. With almost everything else in Lusternia tied more or less to combat power, I'd rather not see family honour go the same way.
Arel2011-06-20 07:45:03
QUOTE (Aramel @ Jun 20 2011, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do not want. It's not like holding a domoth crown measures familial power, more like org power. With almost everything else in Lusternia tied more or less to combat power, I'd rather not see family honour go the same way.

I agree. All of the current family honour gains are things that are individually based: hunting, influencing, winning prestige, sparring, etc. I can't see adding in something that is completely org based (can't really get a domoth crown solo) as a good addition to the system. The honour system is pretty fair now since you have the same opportunities for gain whether your org is the top dog or only about 10% of the game is in your org and 90% of them are non-combatants. Even the org-relatated honour gains are solo things. Influencing a villager/winning a debate in a revolt is pretty individually and isn't contingent about having a strong force with you. Doing the org-epic quest can be done without help.

Adding in something org based is just going to garner bad feelings toward this system from underdog orgs and make people bitter.
Nydekion2011-06-20 10:36:27
Conversely epic quests chains, village debating/influencing, aetherflare kills, hunting, etc honor gains go up much faster if done as a group activity (in fact aetherflare honor gains probably can -only- be done as an org). The same too goes for domoth crowns - they can be claimed alone within a reasonable amount of time but having more people involved makes the claim easier. In both cases, the majority of the maintenance work will fall upon the individual holding the domoth and considering that work involved, it makes sense for it to positively affect family honor, since it too helps bolster org morale and opinion on how well the org is doing and hence should reflect upon how the family is looked upon.
Diamondais2011-06-20 11:26:03
I've been thinking of earning a Guild Honour should give a small amount of honour to the family, but I know that people think it'll just be their family members getting honoured. Although this is really no different to guild positions. Just a passing idea.
Arel2011-06-20 13:24:09
QUOTE (Nydekion @ Jun 20 2011, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Conversely epic quests chains, village debating/influencing, aetherflare kills, hunting, etc honor gains go up much faster if done as a group activity (in fact aetherflare honor gains probably can -only- be done as an org).

All of the current honour gains you list are possible even if you don't "win" whatever it is that you're doing and none of it is limited to a single person getting honour (except the epic quest, but that can be done an unlimited number of times so for the most part is not competitive). You can get honour from villages and aetherflare kills even if you are the only person from you org there or even if you lose the revolt or the flare.. Having a domoth crown is limited to 9 people and those nine people don't even change that frequently. Having crowns give family honour is just asking for a boost that most people have no hope of ever seeing unless that they a VA or a TA with the possibility of a lot of org support. You also get no honour from being involved in it at all unless you're the one who gets the crown.
Nydekion2011-06-20 14:42:43
There is already a precedent for needing to "win" at something to gain honor in the family system including but not limited to publishing scholarly/literary works (these have to win prestige to be counted) and winning ranked spars against a higher ranked house. Secondly, the epic quest chain is generally not expected to be completed more than once (per org, perhaps), admin have stated in the past that any attempts to "game" the system by completing the epic more than once for power gains (or in this case honor gains) would have unwelcome consequences. In addition, it's entirely possible to claim a crown alone just as you claim it is possible to gain honor from a village alone...both cases are a true rarity though and really shouldn't be a significant part of the argument at all.

It's a fair bit better to compare holding a domoth crown with holding an elected position in an aligned city or commune as both are limited commodities and thus are limited to a select number of individuals even though both have the potential to change hands relatively regularly (in fact, I would also support honor gain for kills during domoths as well so that other participants can also gain honor for their families by participating). Alternatively if the concern is a single person holding a domoth crown gaining honor is an issue, it's possible to just have all aligned families of the org gain if a crown is held, solving the issue handily.

Esano2011-06-20 14:51:24
I'd prefer to avoid excess drama over who holds the domoth crown (and by extension who gets VA) based on family membership. The latter can already be bad enough.
Nydekion2011-06-20 15:39:09
Well sure, that's why all aligned families could see an honor gain for holding a domoth crown. That ensures that it wouldn't add to the drama as everyone benefits from it.
Malicia2011-06-20 17:36:50
That guy above me is so smart! biggrin.gif
Nydekion2011-06-20 20:47:47
blush.gif
Xenthos2011-06-20 22:46:13
Only if you let me pledge to a greathouse. *eye Eventru*

Let me do something productive with my family, gosh darnit!
Eventru2011-06-21 01:33:22
QUOTE (Xenthos @ Jun 20 2011, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only if you let me pledge to a greathouse. *eye Eventru*

Let me do something productive with my family, gosh darnit!

As soon as you let me rule the world, Xenthos.