Guildranks

by Aison

Back to Ideas.

Aison2011-06-17 05:46:57
Right now people can contest for guild leadership positions from GR3+. Some people, no matter how easy/fun the tasks, just don't want to put in the work and would rather get the leadership position, hold it for a short time, and then resign and sit on the cushy GR19.

So this is my idea: if someone runs for a guild leadership position, when they resign or are replaced, they are put back to their previous guild rank, rather than guild rank 19.

The benefit I see to this is this might encourage people to do more with regards to guild activity, rather than waiting for a leadership position to open up and running for it because it's an immediate boost in GR/prestige. Also, it gives people the chance to give out guildfavours more often for guild activity rather than just for advancement.

Discuss with ideas and pros/cons.

Ytran2011-06-17 05:50:32
QUOTE (Aison @ Jun 17 2011, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right now people can contest for guild leadership positions from GR3+. Some people, no matter how easy/fun the tasks, just don't want to put in the work and would rather get the leadership position, hold it for a short time, and then resign and sit on the cushy GR19.

So this is my idea: if someone runs for a guild leadership position, when they resign or are replaced, they are put back to their previous guild rank, rather than guild rank 19.

The benefit I see to this is this might encourage people to do more with regards to guild activity, rather than waiting for a leadership position to open up and running for it because it's an immediate boost in GR/prestige. Also, it gives people the chance to give out guildfavours more often for guild activity rather than just for advancement.

Discuss with ideas and pros/cons.

I like the sentiment, though the exact execution is a bit too harsh IMO. Maybe, instead of having it return the person to the rank they were at when they took office, they move up a little bit every weave or so? So long-standing, successful leaders get rewarded for it, but those who try to do it only for rank are, hopefully, voted out for not doing anything before they really get anywhere.
Casilu2011-06-17 05:51:34
QUOTE (Ytran @ Jun 16 2011, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the sentiment, though the exact execution is a bit too harsh IMO. Maybe, instead of having it return the person to the rank they were at when they took office, they move up a little bit every weave or so? So long-standing, successful leaders get rewarded for it, but those who try to do it only for rank are, hopefully, voted out for not doing anything before they really get anywhere.

I don't think this would work either. Point of order: me.
Shiri2011-06-17 05:55:05
This is more of a secondary issue to the fact that getting to GR19 is nigh-impossible anyway, unless there's a coordinated effort specifically towards doing it. Rather than that, the ranks should just be compressed a lot.
Enyalida2011-06-17 06:17:38
Well, it's impossible to get guildfavored while in an elected position, so if you want rank to reset, you have to have a rank trickle effect so they get rank from the years they were blocked from favoring.
Aison2011-06-17 06:21:47
QUOTE (Shiri @ Jun 16 2011, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is more of a secondary issue to the fact that getting to GR19 is nigh-impossible anyway, unless there's a coordinated effort specifically towards doing it. Rather than that, the ranks should just be compressed a lot.

I'm in agreement that the ranks should be compressed or easier to gain, because you are right, getting GR-19 is nearly impossible without an incredibly high amount of recognition.

If it were easier to get guild ranks (such as only needed 1 GF to gain rank between ranks 1-10), that might flesh the idea out more.
Arel2011-06-17 06:22:19
QUOTE (Ytran @ Jun 17 2011, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Achaea or MKO (not really sure) uses a system similar to that. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that implemented in Lusternia. It would do a lot to spread out the ranks a little bit more. It's always sort of annoyed me that people who aren't in power for very long can just resign or get contested out but still have CR6 and GR19. Also, GR19 is sort of boring since you don't really have a job and can't get favours anymore. This might help keep old leaders from feeling like they have no where to go after resigning.
Neos2011-06-17 10:12:48
QUOTE (Arel @ Jun 17 2011, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Achaea or MKO (not really sure) uses a system similar to that. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that implemented in Lusternia. It would do a lot to spread out the ranks a little bit more. It's always sort of annoyed me that people who aren't in power for very long can just resign or get contested out but still have CR6 and GR19. Also, GR19 is sort of boring since you don't really have a job and can't get favours anymore. This might help keep old leaders from feeling like they have no where to go after resigning.

MKO works like that, but they also have more city ranks I believe, and guild leadership positions aren't exactly the same way as Lusty. Only the GH then more Secretary like named guild positions.
Ileein2011-06-27 03:57:43
Personally, I've always felt the guild ranks should be compressed somewhat (to 10, if I had my druthers). We've just got a massive excess of ranks that most don't really even use.
Casilu2011-06-27 04:09:05
QUOTE (Ileein @ Jun 26 2011, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I've always felt the guild ranks should be compressed somewhat (to 10, if I had my druthers). We've just got a massive excess of ranks that most don't really even use.

I've seen people from guild rank 16 to 18 or so on my trips around. They get used, just rarely.
Shedrin2011-06-27 16:07:22
QUOTE (Ytran @ Jun 17 2011, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As one of those people who got GM for a short while before leaving, I like this idea. I also like the idea of making guild ranks easier to attain. It'd be nice to see some more variety in guild ranks. I'd be adverse to lowering the amount of ranks, though, as there's some cool titles for those ranks that I want to see used.