Would you grief?

by Unknown

Back to The Polling Place.

Unknown2011-05-28 21:51:44
A very basic question. Had you the ability through mechanical means (explicitly, I mean skills) to win button any other player in Lusternia without escape or punishment, would you use it?

Please don't use this for rants or anything. Estarra's recent comment in the griefing thread just provoked my curiosity. I'd like to see numbers on whether or not skills that enable griefing with impunity play any role in the likelihood of participation. I'm not certain, so I'd like to see some honest numbers on the subject.

Edit: For clarity, this means that you would grief them due to said skills, versus the absence of skills to effectively do so.
Enyalida2011-05-28 22:00:01
If I see someone afk-ing (or appearing to) and I know I can dreamweaver kill them, I do. If they aren't, there usually isn't any reason for them to die to a dreambody. Same goes for people sleeping in stupid places.

Dreambody is far from a winbutton, and most people who chronically are hit by this have been warned, either by allies or by being killed by it before.
Xenthos2011-05-28 22:02:31
No one person currently has the combinations you were talking about in the thread, so I'm not entirely sure how this poll in any way addresses Estarra's comments. Further, pretty much anyone can participate in said ganks, contributing something towards keeping the person from getting away.

I am sure that the answers, if you were to phrase the question "Do you currently participate in jumping other players?" would be relatively close, especially with the array of answers that you have.

For me, the answer is generally whether or not the person has done something recently. Though there is one person that I wouldn't mind using it on every time it refreshed. tongue.gif
Unknown2011-05-28 22:04:27
QUOTE (Xenthos @ May 28 2011, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one person currently has the combinations you were talking about in the thread, so I'm not entirely sure how this poll in any way addresses Estarra's comments. Further, pretty much anyone can participate in said ganks, contributing something towards keeping the person from getting away.

I am sure that the answers, if you were to phrase the question "Do you currently participate in jumping other players?" would be relatively close, especially with the array of answers that you have.

For me, the answer is generally whether or not the person has done something recently. Though there is one person that I wouldn't mind using it on every time it refreshed. tongue.gif

It's a theoretical, Xenthos. The premise of the comment was that skills had nothing to do with griefing. That's what I'm trying to verify here.
Casilu2011-05-28 22:04:59
QUOTE (Xenthos @ May 28 2011, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though there is one person that I wouldn't mind using it on every time it refreshed. tongue.gif

I see how it is, Xenthos.sad.gif
Xenthos2011-05-28 22:06:40
QUOTE (PhantasmalKiller @ May 28 2011, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a theoretical, Xenthos. The premise of the comment was that skills had nothing to do with griefing. That's what I'm trying to verify here.

You're not comparing it to anything, though. You have no idea if the people voting would react the same way with or without said skills (which I speculate that they would).
Xenthos2011-05-28 22:06:56
QUOTE (casilu @ May 28 2011, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see how it is, Xenthos.sad.gif

You're safe!
Unknown2011-05-28 22:09:16
QUOTE (Xenthos @ May 28 2011, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're not comparing it to anything, though. You have no idea if the people voting would react the same way with or without said skills (which I speculate that they would).

Erk, thought that was implied.
Eventru2011-05-28 22:14:13
Decidedly wasn't implied - I was going to make a comment like Xenthos, but thought better of it (well, 'why bother - I suspect they're set in their opinion').

A better poll would be: "If you jump people bashing, would you still jump people bashing without choke or sacrifice?

I suspect you'd see answers that look like this, though.
Vadi2011-05-28 22:14:32
I raid, but I don't consider it griefing because people choose not to come or call in overwhelming help. Sometimes the outcomes are bad for us, sometimes the outcomes are bad for them. Why raid? The organizations are at war, thus there is a premise. War and conflict mean action. It's fun to cooperate in teamwork and achieving a positive or a negative result.

Jump people solo very often (jumped Donovain because he was alone, nearly same might, so I thought there'd be an interesting fight of skill), though sometimes I'll tag along on a gank (the person has either done something to deserve this or I just want to do something), or come to defend a person (my character doesn't have to be honourable, so if a mate gets jumped in Faethorn, I'll come).

Had Lillian rage at me and be upset and fussy over raiding, but that's about it as far as feedback on my actions that I'm aware of.
Xenthos2011-05-28 22:17:09
QUOTE (Eventru @ May 28 2011, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Decidedly wasn't implied - I was going to make a comment like Xenthos, but thought better of it (well, 'why bother - I suspect they're set in their opinion').

A better poll would be: "If you jump people bashing, would you still jump people bashing without choke or sacrifice?

I suspect you'd see answers that look like this, though.

You mean crucify, not sacrifice.
Casilu2011-05-28 22:17:47
As for jumping people and griefing...

I rarely ever jumped someone. I can think of one time where I did, by myself, and only because they liked to raid a lot and jump people. I lose horribly because they called in help.

When I was sort of involved in combat, I would raid, but rarely. (I want to get involved again, but I'm kinda intimidated out of it because I have very little idea what I'm doing in this class and out of practice, but I'm off-topic.)

I would usually only raid in larger groups, if someone asked me specifically.

And then there are a large number of odd, arbitrary rules that I follow.
Lerad2011-05-29 03:44:18
I'm a Nekotai, arguably one of the most solid monk guilds out there. Maybe monks don't have choke/p5, but between grapplespam/web/truss/jumpkick, I think I have a pretty good arsenal for a jumpgank. However, I don't jump people usually, unless it's an enemy and I'm specifically asked to help pin them down. And I'd do that with nothing but web, if I am asked to.

Skills have nothing to do with jumping others, at least for me. A digression, by the way, but jumping people is perfectly valid, which is why I would do it, as I stated above. If there's a valid reason, you can be sure I'll participate in any and all repeated kills on a person. Griefing without a valid reason is something I don't do, period.
Lorina2011-05-29 03:58:33
I am one of the weaker melding classes, but I don't hesitate to play dirty if the I have the upper head whether it be weaker players or not a lot of people around. Hate to say that, but it is true. I mean I am not a hardcore griefer, but given the chance, I would. Mostly for the whole male dominance thing, I don't know. As for other griefing me, yeah that sucks, but after many, many deaths I have come to accept it as a part of Lusty life. It is just like getting teabagged on Halo, gank in LoL, or pimpslapped by your daddy after not making enough scratch on the corner. Such is life.

People are going to grief you whether they have mechanical advantage or not. Right now, no one has the win button thankfully no matter how much you whine on the forums.
Diamondais2011-05-29 05:41:37
As much as I've joked around about griefing Celest on multiple characters (each has their own reason, for those naysayers who think it's purely OOC), I'm not the griefy sort. Also, my one man raids tend to be ignored, so I don't think I could grief even if I tried. sad.gif
Arix2011-05-29 09:29:07
If I could actually jump and kill people, there are certain ones who I would go after regularly
Unknown2011-05-29 14:45:27
I suppose I'm curious as to why it is you think it's human nature to be cruel douchecopters, but then to run to the forums and admit that you'd be a douchecopter.

As for myself, no, I wouldn't grief/instagank/punch the lulzpeen increasing button.

And I suck at combat, so it'd be about the only way I could kill anyone right this moment. But what joy would there be in it? Sure, you may sometimes have to duck from the backspray of the douchecopters, but that's a far cry from 'everyone would be a douchecopter if they had a chance'
Unknown2011-05-29 15:02:46
I think there's some definitional issues with "grief". There's a difference in attacking some coat-tailing gloat-monkey that makes a twerp of themselves, and jumping someone who isn't much of a nusiance on grounds of org alignment, etc.

Regardless, I feel bad killing players outside of group fights/defense, so its moot for me.
Gleip2011-05-29 20:08:24
90% of the no answers are wrong.
Eventru2011-05-29 20:28:15
90% of statistics are made up on the spot.