Mage Achetype Tertiaries

by Unknown

Back to Combat Guide.

Unknown2011-05-28 19:37:23
I was wondering which of the four mage guilds can best utilize Dreamweaving? Through my forum lurking, it seems most use Psyonics, but was wondering if that was absolutely necessary for decent combat.

Also of the four mage guilds, would any mind ellaborating further on them for me in terms of combat prowess? Many of the skills (as described on the wiki) seem like copies of eachother but with different names to match the element that guild represents. Is that the case, or are there clear differences between their combat capabilities.
Veyrzhul2011-05-28 22:57:34
There are some skills all of the mage (and, to some extent, also druid) guilds share, like a room damage skill, the demesne-related skills (terrain, meld, travel etc.).
Unique are the demesne effects, the instant kills (all work differently) and the staff-related abilities.

Short rundown: The Aero demesne is fairly herb affliction heavy. That and the mental affs make for a good synergy with telepathy.
The Aqua demesne is lacking affliction-wise, but has its strength in the forced movement abilities (not so useful 1 on 1, very useful in groups).
The Geo demesne is fairly well-rounded. Good damage, hindering, movement hindering, and a good timed kill as part of the skillset.
The Pyro demesne is salve affliction heavy. Haven't had any recent experience fighting in one, but hindering and movement hindering were improved a while back, so it should be at least okay in those fields now.
Unknown2011-05-28 23:37:38
We've had a few Aquamancer Dreamweavers. None have been combatant though I know that we've done a lot of testing as to whether or not it would be decent for combat.

I have a tendency to say that Aeromancers or Pyromancers would be best for Dreamweaving.
Lilia2011-05-29 00:24:06
No one has been a Dreamweaver combatant mage in so long that no one knows how to do it.
Daereth2011-05-29 00:31:27
QUOTE (Lilia @ May 28 2011, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one has been a Dreamweaver combatant mage in so long that no one knows how to do it.

Because it's impossible to be any good or even half decent. There are way too many skills that basicly kill and render Dreamweaving uneffective unless the person is afk. Taking Dreamweaving not only removes your chance at Psionics, which is over the moon and back better, but it limits your ability to kill to basicly just staff. And we all know staffing doesn't work unless you're Fillin or Esano.
Unknown2011-05-29 21:51:10
I think I'm narrowing my choices down.

Geomancers seem very fun. From what I'm gathering their Demesne is rather balanced, with both offense and defense being priorities.

Aeromancers seem to be much more affliction based, so are they primarily offensive mages? My concern is that Hallifax is very neutral (?), and I do want to participate in group combat often, so was looking for a city with constant conflict. I figure Magnagora and Geo's would get more action than Hallifax and Aero's?

Pyromancer's skills look very very cool, and I'm leaning most towards them, but I saw some thread about how Pyro's were recently nerfed, and their skills changed without any input from actual members of the guild. Is this still the case? Are they in a state of uselessness or are they fixed again? Also, does Gaudiguch get much action and create conflict?
Lilia2011-05-29 23:06:06
QUOTE (Noro @ May 29 2011, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aeromancers seem to be much more affliction based, so are they primarily offensive mages? My concern is that Hallifax is very neutral (?), and I do want to participate in group combat often, so was looking for a city with constant conflict. I figure Magnagora and Geo's would get more action than Hallifax and Aero's?

It's not that Hallifax is neutral, it's that we don't have very many people interested in combat. So it's sort of a choice between 'one among many', or 'one of the few'. If you want to be among a group of people who have been good at combat for a long time, and are (I would think) very willing to share their knowledge, go with Geomancers. If you want to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, figure things out for yourself, become a combat leader, and help develop interesting combat, go with Aeromancers. (pleasepicktheaeromancersweneedallthehelpwecanget)
Krellan2011-05-29 23:18:50
Glomdoring fights the most I would say. just saying, we love druids.
Diamondais2011-05-29 23:20:31
(I'm a lonely Druid, come help me carve totems)
Malarious2011-06-02 05:05:51
QUOTE (Noro @ May 29 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I'm narrowing my choices down.

Aha, progress!

Geomancers seem very fun. From what I'm gathering their Demesne is rather balanced, with both offense and defense being priorities.

They are rather nice aye, they are less about defense, it is more a matter of defense through offense. Rubble (delayed movement) being the main version of defense that is not an affliction. Useful offensive skills though and they work on development alot.

Aeromancers are quiet because Hallifax is not really a pro combatant city. Their skills are very nice but they lack the backing to charge or move around much. Yes Geos get the most action.

Pyromancer's skills look very very cool, and I'm leaning most towards them, but I saw some thread about how Pyro's were recently nerfed, and their skills changed without any input from actual members of the guild. Is this still the case? Are they in a state of uselessness or are they fixed again? Also, does Gaudiguch get much action and create conflict?

They used to do ALOT more burn levels and while the report was in the envoy left so they took a bunch of nerfs. The whole meld is burns + salve based afflictions and a stun. It is not bad, I do not know if I would call it amazing though obviously salve stacking is a tactic even if salve balances are 1 second. If you go Gaudiguch you are on the other side of the coin and will have to fight Geos. In general you will not fight without Glomdoring, just based on history Gaudiguch wont move without help.
Unknown2011-06-02 15:15:52
That and you won't really have anyone who knows what they're doing -in depth- and is willing and able to teach you the ins and outs of mage combat. Same issues with Aeros.
Veyrzhul2011-06-02 15:31:53
QUOTE (PhantasmalKiller @ Jun 2 2011, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That and you won't really have anyone who knows what they're doing -in depth- and is willing and able to teach you the ins and outs of mage combat. Same issues with Aeros.

You can always figure out things on your own (and from actual combat experience)!
Unknown2011-06-02 15:39:02
Teaching makes people good. Experimenting, testing and experience make them great. But you gotta make it to 'good' before you can start working toward great. Otherwise you just end up spinnin your wheels.
Lilia2011-06-02 16:16:28
QUOTE (PhantasmalKiller @ Jun 2 2011, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That kind of attitude is what's keeping us (both Halli and Gaudi) from getting anyone who knows what they're doing to come over. "Oh, they don't have any combatants, if I want to be a combatant, I shouldn't go there." Wrong! If you want to be the biggest, baddest, combatant around (even if it is by default), then you should definitely go there! Yeah, maybe we don't know what we're doing, but we can figure it out together. And that's the fun part, for me at least, learning what works and what doesn't.