Need some opinions

by Unknown

Back to Mechanic's Corner.

Unknown2011-05-17 18:36:29
So, I need some help. Those of you who've used my stuff or may be interested in doing so. I need some opinions on ideas I have had.

I'm going to be rewriting a bunch of my stuff, and hopefully improving it. Some of my thoughts for improvements were things like:

1.) Blinky chat... does anyone use this? I wasn't a huge fan, but I added it by request so at least one person wanted it. I seem to recall reading about someone having an issue with it, though... like it was creating too many timers. I haven't looked, but I thought I'd taken that into account before. Regardless, if anyone's actually a fan of the blinkiness, chime up. I'll probably make it an option you can turn on and off anyways.

2.) Combining items. Namely, I've been thinking of setting up the tabbed chat, and the information tabs as one package. So you could have the chat and the information in the same screen real estate. Across the top are the normal tabs. And along the right (or left, I could make it configurable) would be tabs like Chat, Info, Astrology, somethingreallycoolihaven'tthoughtofyet. Click on the side tab, and the tabs along the top change to the ones you would expect based on the tab selected on the right.

But I need to know if anyone but me would think this was a good idea. This would also come with aliases and likely also keybindings to switch between the various tabs without resorting to the mouse. I'm a major keyboard shortcut and command line junkie, so I do not plan to leave that aspect out. Keybindings will obviously be changable via the script editor =)

2.a) If I do 2, should I also keep the option to have them in separate layouts which can be moved around on their own? Or is that going overboard? Should I try to support both or just pick one and go with it. This isn't necessarily anything you can answer directly, but your answers to 2 will likely influence the decision.

3.) GMCP vs ATCP. I've not really dealt with GMCP before, and for this reason I am inclined to use it. That may seem odd, except I'd like to learn it and if I'm rewriting stuff anyways, there's no better time. It's a lot more likely now than if I have to go back and patch it in later. That being said, is anyone clinging to ATCP for any specific reasons? If they're to keep compatibility with old code, is it something I could assist in filling the need for? I'm toying with the idea of supporting both, but if nobody's really using atcp for anything I can't script them out of quickly (should they desire it) then I'm not sure it's worthwhile. Though I get the impression it wouldn't actually be that difficult. Thoughts?

4.) Feel free to tell me to hush up if you think I'm just cluttering the forum up with this crap. I don't see a whole lot of it happening, and it makes me curious if it's because people find it annoying or not.

Thanks in advance.
Tacita2011-05-17 18:38:58
I use your blinky chat script - however I took the blinking out of it to make it just a chat capture! I haven't found any bugs with it. smile.gif

In terms of combining it with other things I'd rather just have the chat capture, and there may well be other people like that - so it'd be good to have the option smile.gif
Unknown2011-05-17 18:40:48
QUOTE (Tacita @ May 17 2011, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use your blinky chat script - however I took the blinking out of it to make it just a chat capture! I haven't found any bugs with it. smile.gif

In terms of combining it with other things I'd rather just have the chat capture, and there may well be other people like that - so it'd be good to have the option smile.gif

Well yes, if I combine them you'll be able to decide which options show up on the side bar or not... so you needn't have the information stuff active. The question for me is more of screen space. If you only use one, only turn one on and it'll behave just like you'd only installed the one package. At least, that's the idea =)

ETA: Thus, if you use more than one, would you like it if they all combined into one UI element you can switch between different modes, they were separate and stayed that way, or being able to choose/combine the two options? If there's not much need for the last, I won't try and put it in before I release anything, which will likely mean a quicker release... but if there is I'll plan for it in advance. Doing my mockup in vi now... heh.
Calixa2011-05-17 19:02:19
1) I ended up sticking with an older chat capture script because I really disliked the blinky bit. If a new version with blink toggle offers additional features, I may consider it. But I have no immediate suggestions / ideas for what else to add.

2) No opinion, my screen is so big it will take a while of scripting still before it gets anywhere near filled.

3) Go with the times and use GMCP, I find it really easy and pleasant to work with.

Also suggestion for the infotabs as a new tab, or an idea for a separate module all together = a tarot list, showing how much of each cards in your decks, maybe a little display to show when tarot defenses like enigma or fool are up to go with it.
Zynna2011-05-17 19:17:24
For me, it would be nice if there was a way to flip between modes as I play on a laptop and have limited space.
Lilia2011-05-17 23:44:53
I use the blinking chat, and while the blinking annoys me sometimes, it's also helped. I might miss something in the spam of bashing/influencing, so the blinking is nice for that.

There is one feature I have trouble with, but I'm not sure whether to talk to you or Anisu. I have his name highlighter, which comes with an option to interface with the chat tabs, but when you turn it on, everything goes to the chat window twice; once normal, and once with the names colored. I haven't been able to figure out just what Anisu does that makes it work, so I don't know how to fix it.

I don't have very much screen space at all, so I never downloaded the info tabs. If they could take up the space space as the chat window, I might use them.

I use GMCP because I managed to figure out how to use it, as opposed to ATCP, where I just copied what you had done without really knowing what I was doing.
Neos2011-05-18 00:12:27
QUOTE (Lilia @ May 17 2011, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use the blinking chat, and while the blinking annoys me sometimes, it's also helped. I might miss something in the spam of bashing/influencing, so the blinking is nice for that.

There is one feature I have trouble with, but I'm not sure whether to talk to you or Anisu. I have his name highlighter, which comes with an option to interface with the chat tabs, but when you turn it on, everything goes to the chat window twice; once normal, and once with the names colored. I haven't been able to figure out just what Anisu does that makes it work, so I don't know how to fix it.

I don't have very much screen space at all, so I never downloaded the info tabs. If they could take up the space space as the chat window, I might use them.

I use GMCP because I managed to figure out how to use it, as opposed to ATCP, where I just copied what you had done without really knowing what I was doing.

Did you turn off your regular chat triggers?
Unknown2011-05-18 00:32:41
QUOTE (Lilia @ May 17 2011, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I've not seen any of the code for that name highlighter. Perhaps we can work together to integrate it into the new one?

If the name highlighter free? A link and I can take a look, see what might be up... though if it takes more than a moment I might just wait until the new stuff is out. I've got the chat tabs mocked up and fairly well scripted out. I figure if I start there, then I can expand it to add the other stuff... I've found I can't function very well without some form of tabbed chat anymore, so that bumped that particular project's priority up.
Lilia2011-05-18 00:46:01
QUOTE (AquaNeos @ May 17 2011, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you turn off your regular chat triggers?

No, because they're much easier to make than how Anisu wants it done.

QUOTE (demonnic @ May 17 2011, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I've not seen any of the code for that name highlighter. Perhaps we can work together to integrate it into the new one?

If the name highlighter free? A link and I can take a look, see what might be up... though if it takes more than a moment I might just wait until the new stuff is out. I've got the chat tabs mocked up and fairly well scripted out. I figure if I start there, then I can expand it to add the other stuff... I've found I can't function very well without some form of tabbed chat anymore, so that bumped that particular project's priority up.

It's free, and a link can be found in the first post of the Mudlet plugins thread.
Neos2011-05-18 00:49:08
QUOTE (Lilia @ May 17 2011, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, because they're much easier to make than how Anisu wants it done.

It's free, and a link can be found in the first post of the Mudlet plugins thread.

If you turn the chat interface on, it's creating triggers to carry the colors over, and so, both your triggers are capturing the text, and his triggers, so your triggers are the ones without color, his are the ones with.
Lilia2011-05-18 01:06:49
Well, yeah, I understand that. I'd rather use the simple, beginning of line substring triggers, than writing out the code to create a temp trigger for every clan or squad. So I'd like to figure out what Anisu is doing, and add it to demmonic's triggers. But the code looks exactly the same, with the exception that Anisu's are added to a table.
Neos2011-05-18 01:35:36
QUOTE (Lilia @ May 17 2011, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, yeah, I understand that. I'd rather use the simple, beginning of line substring triggers, than writing out the code to create a temp trigger for every clan or squad. So I'd like to figure out what Anisu is doing, and add it to demmonic's triggers. But the code looks exactly the same, with the exception that Anisu's are added to a table.

Temp triggers are run after all other triggers, then each run in the order they were created. So you're triggers run, then the org coloring triggers run and color names.
Janalon2011-05-18 02:32:06
I am a huge, huge fan of all your module add-on scripts, and would be more than happy to provide some feedback.

BLINKY CHAT:

I could care less about the blinking lights. Doesn't necessarily matter for me because I mainly stay in the ALL tab, and use the specific tabs to backlog on certain conversations. Certainly the blink I could live with or without, but the tabs I cannot.

POT LIST:

Another script I couldn't live without... Mainly this could be improved by adding several other potion types like allheale, galvanism, and quicksilver. I have no need for the Astro tab, and am considering moving the Poisons list here to improve on spacing.

I like having my chat and pots separate, as I use them concurrently.

EDIT: Also would love to see Teas (and beer?) added to the Pots tab as well.
Unknown2011-05-18 03:44:05
QUOTE (Janalon @ May 17 2011, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a huge, huge fan of all your module add-on scripts, and would be more than happy to provide some feedback.

BLINKY CHAT:

I could care less about the blinking lights. Doesn't necessarily matter for me because I mainly stay in the ALL tab, and use the specific tabs to backlog on certain conversations. Certainly the blink I could live with or without, but the tabs I cannot.

POT LIST:

Another script I couldn't live without... Mainly this could be improved by adding several other potion types like allheale, galvanism, and quicksilver. I have no need for the Astro tab, and am considering moving the Poisons list here to improve on spacing.

I like having my chat and pots separate, as I use them concurrently.

EDIT: Also would love to see Teas (and beer?) added to the Pots tab as well.

I'll get together with you to work on getting the triggers I'll need to accommodate those additions. I'm all for increasing the number of things available in the information tabs. I intend to have the individual tabs from the information tabs as toggleable options, so that if you don't care about one of the tab types, you can just get rid of it altogether.

I'm beginning to think that I may just have to release these as three packages... each one on its own, and then a combined package for those that want it. We shall see.

Would we prefer to add teas and beer to the pots tab, or have another tab for teas and beer labeled 'drinks' perhaps? I'm open to either approach, they'd be about the same amount of work.
Rakor2011-05-18 04:10:36
Your chat box is awesome, but the blinking tabs aren't that useful. The novelty wore off after a few minutes and I found myself just using the chat box. I used the info tabs for a while before I realized I'd rather just have more space for the chat box, especially since I never really paid attention to that stuff. Were sorcelglass vials ever written into the script?

I should get a little box for deathsights at some point, that's something that shouldn't be too hard that I keep forgetting about.

I thought ATCP was a thing of the past, at this point.

Don't hush up, you're not cluttering! I like the stuff you wrote.

edit: I also use your harvester and influencer, both of which I've tweaked a bit but work great
Aison2011-05-18 12:55:20
I would love a toggle on/off for the blinky in tabbed chats.

Also your idea about merging tabbed chat with the potions/herbs thing, I like. It sounds like it would be convenient because having to put in tabbed chat, adjust it, and then trying to figure out where to put the potions thing is kind of a pain, plus the potions/herbs thing is constantly there. It'd be nice if there were side tabs on the chat that gave you the option to look whenever necessary.

Hope I understood that part right, anyway!

For 2a some people might like the option of moving them around, so you may as well keep the idea up.
Unknown2011-05-18 15:20:00
I've not set up the tabbed chat but the info tabs are great. I've added my own bits to the astrology one to colour positive/negative spheres and to drop clickable casts of my current target's nativity into my status window. I think there was a bug where the trigger needed changing to allow for retrograde nativities too. Good scripts for learning a bit about mudlet, so thank you.
Lilija2011-05-18 22:45:57
Hey Demo,

I love the idea of tabbed chat with integrated info tabs. It was something I took a stab at doing myself, but sadly I lack the expertise to do it. On another note, I manually added (at least I think I did) most of the missing potions/drinks/poisons to the infotabs and can forward said code along to you if you like. Just imitated your setup for the others, and think I also had them correctly going down when used.

Also, no blinky == happy Lili. I used chat tabs, but that blink would get god awful sometimes.
Unknown2011-05-19 04:13:37
QUOTE (lilija @ May 18 2011, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Demo,

I love the idea of tabbed chat with integrated info tabs. It was something I took a stab at doing myself, but sadly I lack the expertise to do it. On another note, I manually added (at least I think I did) most of the missing potions/drinks/poisons to the infotabs and can forward said code along to you if you like. Just imitated your setup for the others, and think I also had them correctly going down when used.

Also, no blinky == happy Lili. I used chat tabs, but that blink would get god awful sometimes.

I would love a copy of that code, hit me up in pm with a url, or if you need my email address let me know and I'll send it to you. I've pretty much finished the rewrite of just the tabbed chat portion, and I've made it a lot more customizable. I'm gonna put in what I've got so far, and you can tell me if you can think of anything I've forgotten. With the exception of positioning configuration. I'm looking for another opinion.

Would you prefer to have options for positioning like "Topright", "Bottomright", "Topleft" and "Bottomleft" or just have it default to the top right corner, and give you full control (via the functions themselves) over positioning? If you'd really just prefer a few options, would those four cover it or do you have a suggestion for an additional one?

CODE
--]

--]

demonnic.chat.config.channels = {
  "All",
  "Org",
  "Guild",
  "Clans",
  "Tells",
  "Says",
  "Misc",
}

--Set this to the name of the channel you want to have everything sent to.
--Per the default, this would be the "All" channel. If you have a different name for it:
--
--demonnic.chat.config.Alltab = "Bucket"  
--
--And if you don't want it turned on at all:
--
--demonnic.chat.config.Alltab = false

demonnic.chat.config.Alltab = "All"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--                                                                             --
--The infamous blinking stuff!!!                                               --
--                                                                             --
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--]
demonnic.chat.config.blink = true

--How long (in seconds) between blinks? For example, 1 would mean a 1 second pause in between blinks.
demonnic.chat.config.blinkTime = 3

--Blink if the bucket tab ("All" by default, but configured above) is in focus?
demonnic.chat.config.blinkFromAll = false

--Font size for the chat messages

demonnic.chat.config.fontSize = 8

--]

demonnic.chat.config.lines = 50

--]

demonnic.chat.config.width = 60

--]

demonnic.chat.config.activeColors = {
  r = 0,
  g = 180,
  b = 0,
}

--]

demonnic.chat.config.inactiveColors = {
  r = 60,
  g = 60,
  b = 60,
}

--]

demonnic.chat.config.windowColors = {
  r = 0,
  g = 0,
  b = 0,
}

--]

demonnic.chat.config.activeTabText = "purple"

--]

demonnic.chat.config.inactiveTabText = "white"

--]
demonnic.chat.currentTab = demonnic.chat.currentTab or demonnic.chat.config.Alltab or demonnic.chat.config.channels