How to be good with Nekotai

by vorld

Back to Combat Guide.

vorld2011-04-23 05:00:30
TTitle says it all I'm trans nekotai combat resilience stealth and psychometabolism
Lerad2011-04-25 02:09:02
At the moment, the strongest strategy line with Nekotai is probably bleeding via vessels. We can churn out alot of bleeding very quickly. We can get a random of 0-3 vessels per kick. And the average combo speed is 3.5s roughly. Aslarans/Faelings probably get nearer to 3s. A sparkle or health potion balance (the only things that cure vessels, beyond things like allheale/green) is... a lot longer than 3s. It goes like this:

1) Get to 5 mo
2) Spam vessels
3) ???
4) Profit

The catch to this is that Nekotai can't prone in a normal combo without dropping momentum. (tendon/severedspine costs 2mo) This makes it harder to get past parry/stancing, especially when you're fighting people who shrug alot, making paralysis venom difficult to stick. We do get a passive prone-ticker, but that will only work on warriors/monks. Acrobatics get forwardflip, backflip, jumpkick, but that is obviously not available for you. And the oriama throw is good, but unless the target is significantly messed up, the prone won't stick long enough, and is a grapple-ender (making it difficult to pull off without +bal, and tying up arm actions). Smart distribution of wounds and figuring out the target's stancing/parrying patterns are one way to counter this, but that's easier said than done.
vorld2011-04-26 21:47:50
so use kaiga at mo? should I use the dart modifier too with a poison?
Veyrzhul2011-04-27 07:26:33
I always wonder a bit at threads like these, especially when no specific question is asked. My personal advice when starting out with a new class would be:

- go through all the skills of the guild, one by one
- some ABs already tell you what exactly the skill does, what it afflicts with; in the other cases, try out the skill (if possible, also on yourself using anatine)
- think about how afflictions work together well (how their effects synergize, but also how their curing is as hard or slow as possible) and about how your available buffs help you deliver them
- out of that information, form a tactic/a goal to work towards in a fight. Keep in mind afflicting speed/times of affliction effects/curing speed of your opponent.
- for any afflictions that you don't know or are unsure of as to how exactly they work, check out wikis or, failing that, ask here
- if you're still stuck at that point, fight others from your guild and watch what they do
Placeus2011-04-27 07:52:08
To add to Veyrzhul's good advice:

- Read old envoy reports for all your class skills. Think about why they were approved/rejected and what envoys and admin say is too strong or too weak. This should give you some hints.
- Find yourself a sparring partner who is patient and has a good knowledge of combat. Sparring against the same person time and again is a great way to measure your progress and the relative effectiveness of your tactics.
Ixion2011-04-27 08:04:59
If all else fails, guildhop to bard or wiccan.
Janalon2011-04-27 08:29:20
I've tried to thoroughly document the class in a magnitude of ways for incoming combatants (knowing the Nekotai's main issue is stability and consistency of decently skilled combatants). This process has included interviewing our top combatants along the way, and having them review and comment upon the docs to make slight adjustments.

QUOTE (Veyrzhul @ Apr 27 2011, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always wonder a bit at threads like these, especially when no specific question is asked. My personal advice when starting out with a new class would be:

- go through all the skills of the guild, one by one

GHELP SKILLKATA
GHELP KATAGRAPPLE
GHELP KATAKICK
GHELP KATAPUNCH

- some ABs already tell you what exactly the skill does, what it afflicts with; in the other cases, try out the skill (if possible, also on yourself using anatine)
- think about how afflictions work together well (how their effects synergize, but also how their curing is as hard or slow as possible) and about how your available buffs help you deliver them

In the Blood Mystery clan available to combatant path Nekotai GR4+. One of my scrolls document nekotai afflictions, beast afflictions, and poisons by cure types. This is a great place to start to really grasp the underlying principles of affliction-based combat:

CLHELP STACKFOCUS
CLHELP STACKHERBS
CLHELP STACKSALVES
CLHELP STACKSIPS
CLHELP STACKSMOKES

- out of that information, form a tactic/a goal to work towards in a fight. Keep in mind afflicting speed/times of affliction effects/curing speed of your opponent.

Also have documentation on the kata combinations of past combatants (also to be found within the Blood Mystery clan).

- for any afflictions that you don't know or are unsure of as to how exactly they work, check out wikis or, failing that, ask here
- if you're still stuck at that point, fight others from your guild and watch what they do

Not to mention get arena combat time against all archetypes, if not every guild.

Janalon2011-04-27 08:33:46
Oooh... I have some additional ideas for psymet combat. There is some documentation, but better to ask me IC. If you use mudlet, I can also export my psymet aliases which should make the skillset more manageable.
vorld2011-04-27 16:22:14
Thanks everybody. I;ve been gone for a long time just trying to familiarize myself with nekotai again. Wasn't much of a combatant then wanting to be one now.