Choices are Hard!

by Unknown

Back to Survival Guide.

Unknown2011-04-12 20:08:29
As most people tell me, I inevitably have to decide by myself what I want to roleplay, but I figured I'd quiz the rest of you on a few factors that might play into my decision.

I have a mid fifties Aslaran Pureblade in the Sentinels, and though I've loved the people I've met there (big shout out to Dramon. And Ilyssa, who I want to inform that I don't JUST want forging from. unsure.gif ) I've unfortunately found myself running into the same catch that I was warned of: there's almost never anyone around during my playtimes, and it feels like I have to go out of my way to find interesting things to do when I'm not bashing. On that note, however, is there anything to Hallifax that I'm missing? (Other than the great people.) How active is Elostian's Order, and is that a viable alternative?

The other option is a Human Bard in Cacophony, and as I've been tooling around, I've noticed a much larger active playerbase (understandably), and generally more going on. My primary incentive here would be to get into Fain's Order, which I've heard lots of good things about, and much enjoyed what I experienced in the past... (I will never tell.) I really like the skill-set, and I don't find bashing as slow as a Pureblade, though I understand it picks up later into the 70s.

Any thoughts? If you think both are silly, I'll just have to go join the Tosha Monastery and commit my life to Monkhood.

Thanks!
Diamondais2011-04-12 20:17:17
Neither is silly, don't be afraid to play around. You seem to have an idea of what you want, so keep that idea in mind and go with the flow, interact with people as you run into them. Give it about a month and I'm sure more people will be around for you to bump into in regards to the low population bit you brought up, some more people will start coming around more often.
Ilyssa2011-04-12 20:29:34
I'm not around too much, sadly, but I haven't seen any thing of which Ilyssa would disapprove of in-game from your character. Except a lack of questions.
Unknown2011-04-12 20:30:51
QUOTE (Muse @ Apr 12 2011, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As most people tell me, I inevitably have to decide by myself what I want to roleplay, but I figured I'd quiz the rest of you on a few factors that might play into my decision.

I have a mid fifties Aslaran Pureblade in the Sentinels, and though I've loved the people I've met there (big shout out to Dramon. And Ilyssa, who I want to inform that I don't JUST want forging from. unsure.gif ) I've unfortunately found myself running into the same catch that I was warned of: there's almost never anyone around during my playtimes, and it feels like I have to go out of my way to find interesting things to do when I'm not bashing. On that note, however, is there anything to Hallifax that I'm missing? (Other than the great people.) How active is Elostian's Order, and is that a viable alternative?

The other option is a Human Bard in Cacophony, and as I've been tooling around, I've noticed a much larger active playerbase (understandably), and generally more going on. My primary incentive here would be to get into Fain's Order, which I've heard lots of good things about, and much enjoyed what I experienced in the past... (I will never tell.) I really like the skill-set, and I don't find bashing as slow as a Pureblade, though I understand it picks up later into the 70s.

Any thoughts? If you think both are silly, I'll just have to go join the Tosha Monastery and commit my life to Monkhood.

Thanks!

Look up Sahmiam. Not Hallifaxian, but he does have an affinity for aslaran (being one himself)
Calixa2011-04-12 20:42:50
I'd say since you are not entirely dismayed by Hallifax, try and get your character into Elostian's order and see if you like it. You can always make a Cacophony alt and maybe play both? Though focusing on one thing is probably the better way to make friends. The other way works too, but it might take longer, since your attention is divided.
Unknown2011-04-12 21:05:24
I sometimes find it's a nice change just to go hang out in another city/commune for a bit, find out what they're doing. Not spying, mind you, just hanging out and getting to know new faces.
Everiine2011-04-12 21:11:56
QUOTE (Zarquan @ Apr 12 2011, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sometimes find it's a nice change just to go hang out in another city/commune for a bit, find out what they're doing. Not spying, mind you, just hanging out and getting to know new faces.

I try that too, and it always ends up like this:

1) Hang out in Hallifax
2) Get dragged into a philosophical debate about why a Trill is living in Serenwilde and the merits of Communism vs Collectivism
3) ???
4) Profit.
Unknown2011-04-12 21:17:37
QUOTE (Everiine @ Apr 12 2011, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) Hang out in Hallifax
2) Get dragged into a philosophical debate about why a Trill is living in Serenwilde and the merits of Communism vs Collectivism
3) ???
4) Profit.

Yeah, sorry 'bout the repetitiveness of that. I promise to discuss cupcakes next time.
Llesvelt2011-04-12 21:45:43
Freaking Communists, with their forests and all.
Sylphas2011-04-13 01:11:10
QUOTE (Everiine @ Apr 12 2011, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) Hang out in Hallifax
3) ???
4) Profit.

Hanging out in Hallifax (or, in my case, barging into their council chambers and demanding to talk to Cririk while Sylandra was in the middle of something) has been by far my best source of RP.
Unknown2011-04-13 02:32:45
QUOTE (Sylphas @ Apr 12 2011, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hanging out in Hallifax (or, in my case, barging into their council chambers and demanding to talk to Cririk while Sylandra was in the middle of something)Wuylinfe has been by far my the best source of RP thing that has ever happened to me.

Fixed.
(but now you don't even log in anymore)

But in all seriousness, it's true Hallifax at the moment probably has the lowest activity levels in the Basin - we need new people to freshen things up! But some of us are trying to work behind the scenes to make things exciting again. Come out to the next citizen's forum smile.gif (probably next next weekend). Also joining Elostian's order wouldn't be a bad idea. You'll have a real blast.
Arel2011-04-13 03:05:24
QUOTE (Muse @ Apr 12 2011, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On that note, however, is there anything to Hallifax that I'm missing? (Other than the great people.) How active is Elostian's Order, and is that a viable alternative?

I've heard Hallifax has cool family RP. I know the Skyplumes are pretty tight (not sure if they have people adopting), the Letaras have Lawliet and Daera in the city, there are plenty of Shevats in the city, plus some other families. Joining a family might be fun if you're not already in one.

Also, Elostian's Order isn't the biggest in the game but we've got some good people and Elostian makes things really fun when you make it into the Order. We also just got a cult, so there is a lot of opportunity there for some fun.

QUOTE (Shou @ Apr 12 2011, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also joining Elostian's order wouldn't be a bad idea. You'll have a real blast.

You can prostrate yourself before me and beg for admittance any time you know! Or I'll let you in if you beat me in Fate, too.
Sylphas2011-04-13 04:32:15
QUOTE (Shou @ Apr 12 2011, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fixed.
(but now you don't even log in anymore)

But in all seriousness, it's true Hallifax at the moment probably has the lowest activity levels in the Basin - we need new people to freshen things up! But some of us are trying to work behind the scenes to make things exciting again. Come out to the next citizen's forum smile.gif (probably next next weekend). Also joining Elostian's order wouldn't be a bad idea. You'll have a real blast.

I log in more than I did a while back. LoL and Rift and apathy stole me. I'm coding a lot more, though (just about into beta with my Mudlet astrology code!), which usually means I'll be around more eventually.
Unknown2011-04-13 07:42:49
Hallifax is awesome for RP when people are around. This slump we're in is a fairly new thing, and I'm confident that it isn't going to last forever. In the meantime, seeking out a family or an Order might be wise. At the very least, it gives you closer social access to a specific group of people!

Finding an Order tends to be easier than finding a family, at least in my experience...but I've enjoyed family RP more than Order RP (just no gods around that my character fits with well at the moment, unfortunately.) I kind of tripped and fell into founding a family ass-backwards, but it's been one of my biggest and most rewarding experiences in the game so far. Word to the wise, though: it's much, much easier to take back joining an Order, than it is to take back joining a family. Take that as you will!

QUOTE (Arel @ Apr 12 2011, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard Hallifax has cool family RP. I know the Skyplumes are pretty tight (not sure if they have people adopting),

Phoebus and Arte and Tsianina and Ilyssa are able to adopt at the moment. Things have been a little quiet for us because I haven't been around visibly as much, and then Ilyssa wasn't able to come around for a couple weeks, and I do not even know when the hell Arte finds the time to come online since he's got lots of things keeping him busy elsewhere these days...but if the fact that I ran into someone else in the family manse today is any indication, I'd say we're starting to wake back up again. whistling.gif
Ilyssa2011-04-13 16:18:01
Speaking of which, I should be around a tad bit more now.