Avenger system

by Dysolis

Back to Combat Guide.

Dysolis2011-04-09 07:19:57
Why would the combat rules allow for a raider to be protected under the avenger system when they are clearly "raiding"? I honestly think that if there is an attacker they should be automatically declared for open pk in enemy territory. The defenders have an disadvantage while they have to " wait" for the so called attackers to actually attack and declare. It would be simpler to have them auto declare once entering enemy territory so they could at least think twice before entering the organization that they are raiding. This would prevent raiders from actually camping out and gives those willing to defend a chance at actually defending and not being destroyed.
Enyalida2011-04-09 08:30:51
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Apr 9 2011, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would the combat rules allow for a raider to be protected under the avenger system when they are clearly "raiding"? I honestly think that if there is an attacker they should be automatically declared for open pk in enemy territory. The defenders have an disadvantage while they have to " wait" for the so called attackers to actually attack and declare. It would be simpler to have them auto declare once entering enemy territory so they could at least think twice before entering the organization that they are raiding. This would prevent raiders from actually camping out and gives those willing to defend a chance at actually defending and not being destroyed.

The rules do not allow for this. If they are in the enemy territory, you may attack them, and they are considered free pk until THAT attack's declaration has worn off. The waiting game only happens in neutral territory, though this is often right outside the enemy territory.

So, if PersonA enters your territory, you punch them in the territory they are enemied to and they run away, avenger is on your side, even outside of your territory. Just have PK CAREFUL ON, so that you don't accidentally declare them once the freepk from enemy territory wears off.

Oh, of course attacking someone anywhere on prime (<- I think) at all clears you from their list, regardless of territories or declarations.
Daereth2011-04-09 08:38:22
The best part. RaiderA runs into enemy territory, kills a few of the defenders and ends up with status on them. RaiderA waits for them to come back, then hops out into neutral territory so when they come running to attack they trigger avenger status off so RaiderA can kill them again.
Unknown2011-04-09 16:14:03
Then don't initiate an attack in neutral territory. PK CAREFUL ON is your very best friend.
Dysolis2011-04-10 00:22:49
I mean more as an example of Gaudiguch territory should also include approaching to Gaudiguch on the imperial road. Even in a large group of defenders against say one or two attackers no one will declare. Declaring while your defending isn't a good idea because attacker A could bring attacker B and C when defender a declared. If approaching Gaudiguch is considered allied territory then it would make defending the city more accessible and keep out the campers because defenders who are alert to enemies more often will have a window of opportunity to get to them before their meld goes up.
Xenthos2011-04-10 00:25:05
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Apr 9 2011, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean more as an example of Gaudiguch territory should also include approaching to Gaudiguch on the imperial road. Even in a large group against say one or two no one will declare because declaring while your defending isn't a good idea because attacker a could bring attacker b and c when defender a declared.

The road right outside Glomdoring should be part of Glomdoring's territory, clearly. And then the next room to the east, because now THAT room can be used as the 'border zone' just like the current ones can. Then the next one over. Then the next. And at that point you're at Magnagora's gates, so we might as well just make Magnagora part of Glomdoring's territory according to the Avenger as well.

That sounds like fun!
Dysolis2011-04-10 00:33:32
Ok a bit to far, I would say maybe just the two rooms that have " approaching to Gaudiguch" as considered as Gaudiguch Territory, is there not something similar to that in Glomdoring? The old imperial road by the lava pools is at the point it should end. I believe an extra two rooms should be sufficient.
Xenthos2011-04-10 00:35:18
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Apr 9 2011, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok a bit to far, I would say maybe just the two rooms that have " approaching to Gaudiguch" as considered as Gaudiguch Territory, is there not something similar to that in Glomdoring? The old imperial road by the lava pools is at the point it should end. I believe an extra two rooms should be sufficient.

There is not. If there was, walking along the road would put a large portion of the game in enemy territory!

The question I am getting at is; what would adding those two rooms change? They would be part of Gaudiguch so now the camp room would just be one more over. It changes nothing except room name.
Sylphas2011-04-10 00:37:13
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Apr 9 2011, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is one of the few times a slippery slope argument isn't a fallacy.
Everiine2011-04-10 00:46:42
This same argument was made years ago about the Alabaster Road, which literally cuts through Serenwilde and has many more entrances into Serenwilde territory. Xenthos is correct--no matter where you stop, there will always be a border zone that will be exploited. There is no closure to the equation--it will always be expanding.
Dysolis2011-04-10 00:55:34
All it's doing is increasing the cities size. I suppose that might not be the best way to go about it so I would like to make a new suggestion. All i'm saying is that we made elemental planes and cosmic planes easy to defend because of the constructs. I would like prime to have a certain construct power to make prime easier to defend. Right now it's not equal across the board in defending, off plane is more in favor than prime right?
Lehki2011-04-10 00:59:23
Why are you even bothering with people hanging out on the road? You can't do :censor: against them, just go back to your business inside the city and keep an eye open for them to come back in.
Rika2011-04-10 00:59:47
Here's an idea. Just ignore the people camping outside. If one of them enters, zap them and now your whole city can defend you.
Dysolis2011-04-10 01:02:00
Not a demigod yet.
Rika2011-04-10 01:03:52
Alternative idea. Make the first part of the Twisted Stairs neutral territory. Now you don't have to worry about people camping Old Imperial Road approaching Gaudiguch!
Dysolis2011-04-10 01:10:30
Works for me.
Binjo2011-04-11 11:47:38
Minor thread digression!

This is an age old complaint but I think the gorgog cave situation is sort of ridiculous. I understand why it was set up that way due to the quest involved but the reality is people just use it to jump me on prime, which is fine except I'd rather not get status if I manage to kill someone who jumps me. It should just be free pk in my opinion.
Unknown2011-04-11 12:50:33
If one quest is like that, then why aren't all similar quests like that? If you're going to make things loyal for this reason, at least be consistent across the board.
Enyalida2011-04-11 20:51:33
QUOTE (Binjo @ Apr 11 2011, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is an age old complaint but I think the gorgog cave situation is sort of ridiculous. I understand why it was set up that way due to the quest involved but the reality is people just use it to jump me on prime, which is fine except I'd rather not get status if I manage to kill someone who jumps me. It should just be free pk in my opinion.

This sort of bothers me. If someone jumps you in territory you are enemied and they are not, and you kill them, you gain status. That seems silly, if someone jumps you and you succeed in beating them back/down, you should not be punished (In my opinion).
Unknown2011-04-12 13:56:42
QUOTE (Enyalida @ Apr 11 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This sort of bothers me. If someone jumps you in territory you are enemied and they are not, and you kill them, you gain status. That seems silly, if someone jumps you and you succeed in beating them back/down, you should not be punished (In my opinion).

This. I was trying to figure out how to word it. I'll just say that I second this - I shouldn't get status because some jerk decided to prime jump me.