Roleplay of the Stars

by Lorelai

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Lorelai2011-04-04 00:42:03
Hello. I haven't been a player of Lusternia for very long. I mostly hound the help files out of the game, and when I do get a chance to play it's just a glimpse to see what is happening in general. For awhile I could not play at all, though I find myself with some time now.

I play during off hours (I live in the UK), and have noticed that a lot of the playerbase does not take advantage of the fairly complex emoting system Lusternia has set up. They seem quite busy dealing with everything else Lusternia has to offer. Well, to get the point across, I'm wondering if Lusternia has any "famous" roleplayers? And if they might like to try and meet up at a time for roleplaying. I am a low-level character of no importance, but when I first attempted to roleplay with someone who didn't seem faction-friendly, my character was killed for it. Needless to say I didn't enjoy that one bit, and it put me off trying, which is why I come to the forums for some pre-meditative rp. I am very not-interested in leveling my character to demigod or really putting much time and effort for the power-play. I really just want to roleplay.

I suppose I shall set some guidelines. I apologise if they sound harsh but they are important:

- I do not want to get into philosophical debates, nor is it my aim to convert or be converted. I am completely uninterested in discussing the Supernals when my character is already surrounded by that constantly.

- I would like someone who thinks outside the box. I love the world of Lusternia. It has a very Lovecraft-esque feel to it. I would love to learn more about people, basically, going insane for certain reasons and how they might act. Not necessarily astral insanity as I find that to be a little childish and boring, but more along the lines of Lovecraft's idea of insane.

- I would prefer someone from Magnagora or Glomdoring. My character is not enemied to any faction (and I would like to keep it this way), though I'd like to be able to move about freely in either city or commune, depending on the roleplay. I don't care if you're an enemy of any factions my character is related to. This will not be fraternising, as we won't be friends. We will simply find ourselves in each other's company, perhaps unwillingly, pushed together by the Fate's who weave the Tapestry of Life.

- I would like someone who is involved with the lore of Lusternia. I find it fascinating, but horribly large and I'm not all that fantastic at retaining all the information at once. So if the person or people would be willing to help and correct me, I'd most appreciate it.

- I am not interested in family requests (siblings, marriage, etc). I apologise dearly but I made that decision quite long ago, and even over the short period I have played I have noticed families change quite often... I'm okay riding solo. Should the roleplay eventually tip into the direction of love/marriage/etc, it will need to be discussed in an "ooc" manner and more guidelines set. I will not subject my character to "cybering" - ever!!! I'm really not into petty day-drama one might watch on TV about who slept with who and WHOSE SISTER WAS THAT GUY WITH??... that is not enriching roleplay. That is just digging at the bottom of the barrel.

- You must be able to detach from your character. I don't want "ooc" discussions about personal things. I don't want people asking me about my age, or where I live, or what I do for a living. It's not any of your business to start with, and it's not the reason I'm making this thread. Frankly, it makes me uncomfortable. If you want to discuss the next step in our roleplay or some scene you'd been thinking about and want to talk about how to go about it... then please! Yes! I'm more than willing to chat about that!

Overall I am pretty friendly, but I value my privacy greatly. I shall next go into what kind of character Lorelai is:

Lorelai is currently a Celestine. She has little to no ambition to rise in rank, in anything. The reason why she found herself attracted to the Celestines is because she believes the stars have a story to tell, and if she were to learn it she would need to study properly. Inept at reading them she turned her focus to the mystics for a time, simply drawing power from the stars rather than trying to manipulate them (though that is MY ultimate goal FOR HER, should she ever discover it herself). What happened to her before the portal I find to be unimportant as it did nothing to shape her for herself. What will shape her lies ahead, not behind.

She believes the Supernals draw power from the celestial heavens. That's the source of their limited wisdom, and because they cannot see the full heavens above, their knowledge is lacking. She once gave a sermon shining unending praise upon the Supernals; it was at the end where Terentia spoke to her, saying the Supernals were only half-formed and not something for mere mortals to discover, but discover them they did, and appreciate them, they also did. This struck Lorelai and was a huge turning point in her life, and when Terentia said that it was only the beginning of her journey, she had a vision of the Primal Gods, and the cosmos and of Dynara, creating in star form her Star Gods, the youngest of them. Before then she knew she had an obsession, but until then she wasn't sure where her focus really was. The Celestines aided in helping her refine her teachings to gain a deeper understanding of what it was that captured her attention so; but she is still learning. She is still drifting.

Her views of the Taint and Wyrd are mostly neutral. She believes the Taint is bad and the Wyrd is perhaps another form of Taint; or maybe not. (Who is she to decide, anyway?) She's never encountered neither wyrd nor taint up close, but has seen its affects on its hosts. She does not completely approve, finding the starlight to be a cleaner, more pure alternative to accessing power. She does feel that only Celest truly appreciates the stars above, what with the communes trees, Magnagora's smog, Gaudiguch's fire and Hallifax's architecture all blocking them from view. Although, she doesn't believe her fellow Nihilists are much different from her beloved priesthood when it comes to the very basics of things. She does believe they build their knowledge much differently from the Celestines. Where the Celestines have a ladder the Nihilists have a slope, but again, she isn't all that familiar with their ways, and who is she to judge?

I like to think of Lorelai as a pragmatic pacifist. She is not a particularly great theologian, and she severely lacks imagination. Though she has a very pragmatic personality, it certainly would not be below her to attempt any sort of seance to contact people or gods. In fact, she would more than likely believe it were true if someone told her the stars had the power to do it (truly, she is obsessed with them).

And so far, that is what I have of Lorelai. Please feel free to contact me either in this thread or in a PM.
Unknown2011-04-13 14:25:25
Lorelai sounds exactly like the type of person Zayden would like to meet.

To get to know Zayden a little more... He's quiet due to the fact that he has a stutter, which usually goes away after speaking with people for a few minutes. He spends the majority of his time in the forest, away from others, and during this time lost a lot of what made him accepted in society. He speaks with plants and animals as if they talk back, because sometimes he can hear them speak. He's very down to earth, and could be considered a "tree-hugger." The earth, air, fire, water, light, taint... it's all connected, and it all has a story to tell, a path that could be taken. So much potential that can be harnessed, should one reach for it. Having said that, he really wants nothing to do with any of it. He knows stories of what he calls the great beginning, and has respect for those who sharded, and for the Gods, but he also has the "Nothing matters but Glomdoring" attitude. In his own head, everything he feels and knows makes perfectly logical sense.

He started in the Institute, but found the lack of trees in Hallifax rather... alarming. It was far too cold for him, and he doesn't like heights very much. Moving to the Celestines, he found a place among them but longed for the freedom of the forest, and so he moved to the Serenguard. Everiine had a profound effect on him, and he grew stronger as a person, moving to the ideals of the Shofangi and the monk lifestyle. He then departed to try the Tahtetso, but left a month or so later. Bitter towards Celest and in part towards Serenwilde, he left for the Ninjakari of Magnagora. He was discouraged by the lack of people; he had come to the big city to meet people and to make his way as a combatant. While in the Ninjakari he fell in love with stealth, and left Magnagora for Glomdoring. Finally, here, he found his place within the Nekotai, but the allure of the city of Freedom and the chance of partying brought him to Gaudiguch. He stayed there for some time, but left the city over an argument regarding his parents, who were in Celest. This was before, when Gaudiguch was still considered an enemy.

In the end, he has found himself rogue once again. He is currently seeking entrance back into Glomdoring, as he believes it's time to finally go home again. He wanders around, and when he hears of someone needing something, they often find themselves with it. He wants no thanks, for he derives his pleasure from knowing he put a smile on someone else's face. He has a tendency to pop in and out of peoples lives, like a shadow; only staying long enough to help before moving on.

Finally, Zayden is gay, so quite frankly he's just not interested. The more he gets to know people, though, the more he has a tendency to flirt, but he never truly means it and if he knows it bothers others he will tone it down. In many ways, he is the picture of the flamboyantly gay male.

That, I think, it's the longest I've ever wrote about Zayden. He's quite the character, and so much fun for me to play. As for me, what you outlined above sounds fine. Sometimes it's a lot nicer to know nothing about the person you're RPing with. I've been playing since June 2005, and the first... 12 or so of my characters have all been roleplay based. It was only when I created Aeral that I did the entire demigod/guild leader/combatant stuff.
Ileein2011-04-13 17:04:59
For the record, if you're basing "family RP" on the way it is in most IRE games, or even on some of the families here, you're missing out. There's some spectacular family RP around; look for historical families or some of the Great Houses especially.
Gleip2011-04-13 23:02:49
Go poke Kira. She's a pro at history and lore, and slightly insane.
Ilyssa2011-04-14 02:02:18
You could try poking me as well. There's Ilyssa as well as a Celestian that I have, you're welcome to message me to inquire about RPing with either.
Casilu2011-04-14 08:04:28
QUOTE (Ileein @ Apr 13 2011, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the record, if you're basing "family RP" on the way it is in most IRE games, or even on some of the families here, you're missing out. There's some spectacular family RP around; look for historical families or some of the Great Houses especially.

Great Houses. BAH. I've been in four of them now and they never did me any good.